Common Problems For Ls430?

TurboBob

Hi all, I just joined to help my father research the LS 430. Mom and Dad are not computerized, so I thought I'd look for a forum and try to learn what I can. Personally, I'm usually over at the AudiWorld forums (allroad board), so I'm used to the format, and air suspension. My father has been an MB guy for as long as I can remember, but they're not what they used to be, so after 40 years of driving Benzs, he's looking for something else. He's a retired aircraft mechanic, and is very good as an auto mechanic as well. I'm not a bad wrench myself either, so don't worry about getting to technical with your answers.

I tried a search for common problems, used problems and anything else I could think of, but all I got is a list for the LS400. So, is the LS430 that much different, what are the things we should look out for beyond the usual? I'm also wondering how Lexus CPO program is. Are they goood about covering problems, or do they try to get out of paying for things that should be covered, or is it really up to the dealer? One of the reasons I left Saabs after 20 years, is that they were no longer good about warranty issues, and as of around '94, there are no manuals of any kind available for Saabs. So far my Audi experience has been great in both respects, there's even 2 versions of Audis diagnostic programs available for laptops and palmpilots, I got the laptop version, it goes far beyond OBDII. Is there something similar available for Lexus?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. Bob

Bob, I cannot think of any issues with the 430 other than maybe pass on the air suspension and get one without it. As far as CPO i have had no experience. I just take mine in for scheduled maintenance, they give me a loaner and that's it. The best service I hava ever seen. Rock solid cars. Good Luck.

Hi TurboBob!

Regarding Lexus LS and quality, it probably IS one of the best cars you can buy. Period. I am an avid SAAB nut, especially for the OG 900 and the 9000, and I have also been working with (and owning) Mercedes alot. Still I am the first to admit, MB today seems to be average in quality at best, and SAAB have their pros and cons. They are cars with sometimes brilliant engineering and so-and-so execution (like SAAB), or a very high quality FEEL, but not much real quality (like MB).

The Lexus LS is very well engineered and executed, and Toyota have spent money also where for instance MB cut corners. What other family sedan from -95 has 4 piston light alloy brake calipers, basically stainless exhaust pipes, or (as it seems) a bullet proof drive train. And the LS 430, with more features and options STILL tops the quality lists.

And it seems there is an online "service manual" shop for Toyota, but I do not know exactly WHERE.

Just my opinions... :rolleyes:

/Alexander from Sweden

Thanks guys. I will pass your info on to my father.

Alexander, I didn't realize that Lexus sold in Sweden, or any part of Europe. I thought it was just a marketing tool to get Americans to spend a lot of money on a Japanese car, because Americans won't spend MB/BMW money for a "Toyota" no matter how much they dress it up. ;)

Well they ARE sold in Europe, and in fact they have been available since -90, when the LS arrived. Not all Lexus models or all countries in Europe, but you will find them here. Hint, check out the first page in www.lexusownersclub.com - you will find forums for Germany and UK. The IS series are the most common model in Sweden, I believe, but the LS is really rare here. Lexus cost as much or more than the corresponding BMW here, almost MB prices, btw! <_<

Hope you find a good one for your father.

/Alexander

• 6 years later...

Oh My... This was originally posted back in 2007? I still don't see my reply here after spending about 40 minutes composing it.

This is a strange forum.

Re-posting (07/10/2014)
I've owned my 2005 LS430 for over a year now: Here are some of the

The good:

1. Smooth, silky, quiet ride
2. 18" wheels/tires provide better than expected handling.
3. Good higher speed acceleration.
4. High quality workmanship inside and out.
5. 18 - 20 mpg average

The Bad: Some issues I have had that I would not expect for such a "high rated" flagship car.

1. Mark Leverson stereo: CDs jam all the time. The sound is not accurate or high quality as implied.
2. the GPS is practically useless by todays standards. Un-intutitve is the 1st word that comes to mind and overly complicated, and inaccurate. The dealer charges $100.00+ for a map update which involves a DVD tucked inside the trunk area. Phonebook sync not compatable to Droid or Apple OS.
3. The front suspension is going to require a whole lot of work (80,000 miles) Developed recent loud clunking and steering sheer on even smaller bumps. (My 1996 Accura and 97 Accord had over 150,000 miles without any suspension issues)
4. $2000 + to replace the timing belt, pullies, waterpump at 90,000 miles
5. Poor visibility (Blind spots) and side mirror adjustment motor works intermittantly.
6. Have to lower moon roof vent manually before using the sliding moon roof.
7. 1-2 second delay when needing quick acceleration from a near stand still in heavy traffic. (very un-nerving)
8. Cooled seats don't work well compared to newer models. Heated seats are adequate.
9. If you get a flat, don't try to jack the car up and change the tire as the frame is covered with a panel that will crack.
10. A lot of wind noise when opening sun roof at higher speeds. (friends BMW 545i is whisper quiet at highr speeds)

I need to determine whether I want to pump 3 to 4 thousand dollars into this car to keep it optimal and if I feel comfortable that it will be reliable for a longer period of time or downgrade for more reliablity, milage ...etc

• 4 weeks later...

I've owned a 2004 LS430 since last summer. 123,000 miles. No issues so far except the front window rubber strips don't always bend back properly when closing the windows. Silicone lubricant solves this issue.

25 mpg average. I've had no issues with my Mark Levinson stereo. Acceleration is instant.

It's my first car with heated and cooled seats. Neither heating nor cooling seems very effective. I don't know if it's due to the car's age or what. Can't say it bothers me much.

I don't know if it's just me, but my previous car, a 1993 LS400, seemed to be better insulated against road noise.

• 5 years later...

My wife has a 2001 LS 430 with about 130,000 miles.  The car has been a dream to own -- but, it can be expensive to maintain by the dealer.

Issues we have had include:

• Had to replace the CD changer (I did it with one from a wrecked LS430)
  • Replaced the AC controller in the dash -- expensive even when using a non-Lexus repair shop (2015)

Now the AC to blowing hot air again.  Living in FL now -- must get it repaired and will likely use my Lexus dealer.  Can't even imagine the cost.  Everything else about the car is in excellent condition.  Sadly, due to it's age, it's only worth about $6K.  Will have to fix it -- certainly no one would buy it with a non-working AC!!!