Voice Command

Hi. Have you guys had troubles using the voice recognition on the Nav system? Say, a simple command like "72 degrees"?

I was at the dealer last weekend to test drive IS250. One of the thing I was testing was the navigation system and the voice command. I simply said "72 degrees". It did not recognize my command. I tried 3-4 times. No success. :( I do have a little bit of accent (I'm a Japanese native) but I'm not that bad. ;) I've been in the US for 18 years! I also test drove Acura and tested their Nav, theirs recognized me at the first try and 100% of the time. Why not Lexus?

I was wondering if it's just me or other ppl have problems... do you guys even use the voice command or it's just fast enough to touch screen to change settings, etc?

For a year and a half now I had NO success in this voice command thing.

I've had pretty decent success with mine. It's not flawless, but it works most of the time. Now my Windows Mobile phone's voice command, that's a whole other story... :wacko:

I agree! My wife owns an Acura and the voice commands work GREAT...actually an asset to have. It does a great job recognizing commands. In addition, when you press the voice command button, it simply beeps. You don't have to wait for it to say: "after the beep, please say a command". I tried to get the dealer to get rid of this prompt on my Lexus, but they were not able to. Lexus definitely has some work to do on the nav and voice command system. Still drives great, though!

I tried it last night. It worked--even when the AC was off. I said "72 degrees" and the AC came on. Then, filled with confidence, I tried to tune the radio, and it tried to find the nearest state park...

I agree! My wife owns an Acura and the voice commands work GREAT...actually an asset to have. It does a great job recognizing commands. In addition, when you press the voice command button, it simply beeps. You don't have to wait for it to say: "after the beep, please say a command". I tried to get the dealer to get rid of this prompt on my Lexus, but they were not able to. Lexus definitely has some work to do on the nav and voice command system. Still drives great, though!

There is a setting under voice prompt in the settings menu to turn off the "after the beep, please say a command", you can also turn off the voice confirmation as well, "settng tempature to 70 degrees, hide all icons, ect.".

Not much luck with me either. Sometimes it seems to work better if I don't try to annunciate or speak loud/clearly. Go figure. The only thing I'd like to to really use it for is dialing (via bluetooth mobile connection). I've kind of forgotten about the feature.

I've also been meaning to print out all the voice commands and leave it in my car. I'm not convinced I'm always using the correct "verbage"...

Not much luck with me either. Sometimes it seems to work better if I don't try to annunciate or speak loud/clearly. Go figure. The only thing I'd like to to really use it for is dialing (via bluetooth mobile connection). I've kind of forgotten about the feature.

I've also been meaning to print out all the voice commands and leave it in my car. I'm not convinced I'm always using the correct "verbage"...

I have found you need to string the words together very closely...if you try and annunciate very clearly, especially with a distinct break between words the system doesn't recognise the phrase.

Looks like I wasn't the only one who thought the voice recognition was terrible. Good thing it wasn't just my accent ;) Bad thing is it sucks it doesn't work well.

Does anyone know if Lexus has improved this and maybe 08 version got a better software in it? I hope so!

There is a setting under voice prompt in the settings menu to turn off the "after the beep, please say a command", you can also turn off the voice confirmation as well, "settng tempature to 70 degrees, hide all icons, ect.".

Have you been able to turn this off??? I haven't been able to figure it out but would LOVE to.

Assuming you have navi version 6, menu button, setup icon, scroll to the second page of options, voice recognition guidance on/off select off. When you push the voice command button it will now just beep, say your command and a voice confirmation will confirm the command.

Old Timer

Assuming you have navi version 6, menu button, setup icon, scroll to the second page of options, voice recognition guidance on/off select off. When you push the voice command button it will now just beep, say your command and a voice confirmation will confirm the command.

Old Timer

THAT WORKED!!! THANKS! The dealer had no idea how to make that work...said no one had ever asked them to do that before. I don't understand, though...I would have thought that turning voice command to 'off' would have turned it off! I guess it only turns off the prompt?

• 4 weeks later...

Old Timer

Thanks for helping me switch off that annoying prompt. Don't suppose anyone has a list of useful commands that actually work?

• 6 months later...

I agree about voice command, hopefully one of these tech savvy folks will come up with a way to bypass that message. Personally, it negates the convenience of the Voice Command system. By the time "she" is finished speaking, I could have manually taken care of what I wanted. Truth be told, I barely use it.

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...
Thanks a lot that thing was so annoying, you're a big help

I have the 08 and I have the same problem. I have given up using it for my bluetooth phone connection. Its easier just dialing off the phone, then bluetooth picks up the call anyway I have given up on the voice commands. Its a novelty the salesman can show off.

To change the temp its easier to hit climate and click down the temp arrows, by the the time she gets it right your frustrated. i havent used it since the first day or to show someone it had it. I am very disapointed in that and the mapping is not great either,my sequoia has the same mapping and it sucks.

I tried it last night. It worked--even when the AC was off. I said "72 degrees" and the AC came on. Then, filled with confidence, I tried to tune the radio, and it tried to find the nearest state park...

LOL!!!

sooo true happens all the time!

I have noticed, the more I use it, the better it gets. Or is it the better I get at using it? Not really sure. I was curious if it takes awhile to learn your voice? Some of the phones I have owned in the past had a learning mode that you would say the same words several times for it to compare it to. I wonder if voice system logs your words and uses them later to get better? I turned off all the voice prompting stuff, so when I hit the button, I just get a beep. I have to say that it mostly gets it right. In fact, other than the first month or so, it has been right on since.

I do wish it was more intuitive though. You do have to press a button more times to operate the voice command on some funtions than just changing the function directly. That is annoying. I don't know why you can't just hit the phone button, and say" Call Home" and it just does it.

I do wish it was more intuitive though. You do have to press a button more times to operate the voice command on some funtions than just changing the function directly. That is annoying. I don't know why you can't just hit the phone button, and say" Call Home" and it just does it.

:huh: Mine does..I just press the steering wheel telephone button and say 'phone home' and it does. Pressing the 'off' telephone button disconnects. What's yours do then??