Break Dust Stains Embedded In Finish Of Rims 06 Gs430

I have an '06 GS430 with the factory rims. After trying to clean them recently, I noticed that they're stained. It looks like a combination of brake dust and water sort of embedded or etched into the finish. I'll try to post some pictures if I can figure out how (I'm new to the forum...).

Has anyone else had this problem. Is there a fix? Would it be covered under the Lexus warranty?

Wow! Those pictures make the rims really look nasty. It almost looks like acid etching and that part of the surface has been lost. It appears that it would feel quite rough to the touch. Rims that are that bad on an 06 may indicate a warranty issue with Lexus. Going back to the dealer if the clay bar doesn't work is an option. Maybe an option even before using the clay bar. There is no doubt that the rims should not look like that under any circumstance. If it were a common problem the members on this web site would howl.

The clay bar is designed to remove flecks embedded into or on the finish rather than give it the kind of overhaul that the pictures indicate is needed.

Try copying a pasting your post with pictures on this site in the "Lexus Detailing and Car Care" forum further down on the opening page rather than in the GS model forum. Some of the members there are professional detailers and can steer you in the right direction. They may have seen the problem before and know exactly what to do.

Wow! Those pictures make the rims really look nasty. It almost looks like acid etching and that part of the surface has been lost. It appears that it would feel quite rough to the touch. Rims that are that bad on an 06 may indicate a warranty issue with Lexus. Going back to the dealer if the clay bar doesn't work is an option. Maybe an option even before using the clay bar. There is no doubt that the rims should not look like that under any circumstance. If it were a common problem the members on this web site would howl.

The clay bar is designed to remove flecks embedded into or on the finish rather than give it the kind of overhaul that the pictures indicate is needed.

Try copying a pasting your post with pictures on this site in the "Lexus Detailing and Car Care" forum further down on the opening page rather than in the GS model forum. Some of the members there are professional detailers and can steer you in the right direction. They may have seen the problem before and know exactly what to do.

Strangely, it's not rough to the touch at all. It's perfectly smooth just like the unblemished areas. If you closed your eyes and ran your hand across it, you wouldn't be able to feel the affected areas. Thanks for the suggestion on the other forum - still learning my way around this site.

i had the same problem with my gs430. the stain is embedded between the layers of clearcoat, therefore qite difficult to remove. i tried everything including professional opinions.i proved that it was not an acid induced stain since the integrity of the finish was intact. i took the car to the dealer. photos were sent to lexus rep. however it wwas taking too long to hear a response. i eventually got 07 ls460. so i agree that this is a defect in the wheel finish. good luck.

i had the same problem with my gs430. the stain is embedded between the layers of clearcoat, therefore qite difficult to remove. i tried everything including professional opinions.i proved that it was not an acid induced stain since the integrity of the finish was intact. i took the car to the dealer. photos were sent to lexus rep. however it wwas taking too long to hear a response. i eventually got 07 ls460. so i agree that this is a defect in the wheel finish. good luck.

Thanks for the info. I haven't yet tried the Clay. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll try the dealership/warranty.

Thanks for the info. I haven't yet tried the Clay. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll try the dealership/warranty.

Although I didn't really expect much after reading all of the replies to my post in the detailing section - I'm afraid the Claybar did nothing... Maybe I'll try the dealer. Evidently, this is a pretty common problem.

I have a well cared for 06 as well and I have the same problem. I'll contact the dealer in Orlando, FL to see if they'll repair or replace the rims.

let me know if you have any luck.

Going to the dealer tomorrow morning to remedy another problem (rearview mirrors no longer pan down in reverse). I'll ask them to check out the finish on the rims and see if the warranty will cover it. Will let you all know how it turns out.

I have a well cared for 06 as well and I have the same problem. I'll contact the dealer in Orlando, FL to see if they'll repair or replace the rims.

Going to the dealer tomorrow morning to remedy another problem (rearview mirrors no longer pan down in reverse). I'll ask them to check out the finish on the rims and see if the warranty will cover it. Will let you all know how it turns out.

Okay guys - finally presented this rim problem to the dealer. At first the service tech said there's no way for brake dust to embed in the finish. He went and got some sort of Lexus super polish and started rubbing on the area. He concluded that it wasn't a brake dust stain, but an erosion of the actual finish. The more he rubbed, the more black area appeared as he was wiping away the actual finish. He thought I must have used some sort of corrosive cleaner that had etched away the finish and was exposing the black underneath.

But then he went and got another guy that concluded that if that were the case, the problem would be all over the wheels, not just on the edges. His theory was that it must be a combination of brake dust, something corrosive, water, heat, etc... He suggested that Lexus should replace the rims with new ones - or at least some rims of another new car that had upgraded to chrome.

Then a third guy showed up to take pictures for documentation, which have to be submitted to some sort of regional manager type guy. I'm not sure what will happen there. They finally sent me on my way telling me that they'd have to order the new rims regardless of what they decided with the warranty. He's supposed to call me when the new rims arrive. Hopefully, they'll just call it a defective finish and replace them at no charge. Stay tuned...

• 4 weeks later...

Okay guys - finally presented this rim problem to the dealer. At first the service tech said there's no way for brake dust to embed in the finish. He went and got some sort of Lexus super polish and started rubbing on the area. He concluded that it wasn't a brake dust stain, but an erosion of the actual finish. The more he rubbed, the more black area appeared as he was wiping away the actual finish. He thought I must have used some sort of corrosive cleaner that had etched away the finish and was exposing the black underneath.

But then he went and got another guy that concluded that if that were the case, the problem would be all over the wheels, not just on the edges. His theory was that it must be a combination of brake dust, something corrosive, water, heat, etc... He suggested that Lexus should replace the rims with new ones - or at least some rims of another new car that had upgraded to chrome.

Then a third guy showed up to take pictures for documentation, which have to be submitted to some sort of regional manager type guy. I'm not sure what will happen there. They finally sent me on my way telling me that they'd have to order the new rims regardless of what they decided with the warranty. He's supposed to call me when the new rims arrive. Hopefully, they'll just call it a defective finish and replace them at no charge. Stay tuned...

Hi Jason,

I just purchased a 2007 gs350 with the same rims from Orlando. my car only has 200 miles on it and i am changing the wheels and tires. If you are interested I could sell you my stock wheels and tires for a good price. 18 inch rims with 245/40/18 michelin tires. Let me know... Thanks

Here's what I would do.

Grab a microfiber towel, a bucket of warm water at 120 degrees F, 10% alcohol, and a tea spoon of Iodized Salt.

Wipe down the affected area with cold water first, and run your finger through it to see if it will come off. If not, splash some of the hot water mix onto the rims, and try rubbing it off with the microfiber towel.

If all fails, go to your local hardware shop, pick up a bottle of Red Lion all cleaner. It gets everything out =] Let it set for a good minute or two, so it can get down into the gunk.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason,

I just purchased a 2007 gs350 with the same rims from Orlando. my car only has 200 miles on it and i am changing the wheels and tires. If you are interested I could sell you my stock wheels and tires for a good price. 18 inch rims with 245/40/18 michelin tires. Let me know... Thanks

Any updates from the dealer? Did they hook you up?

Not yet. They called me about a week ago and told me they were waiting for some regional manager guy to swing through town. They said he would want to look at my rims and that he would have to "approve" the replacement. I thing I'm still waiting for that guy to come through...

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll wait until the issue with the dealer runs its course...

Talked to the service tech today. The regional manager guy didn't come to town, but some Lexus engineer did. He didn't look at my car, obviously, but he did look at the pictures. He's sending them to some guy that is 'above' the regional guy. But, he did comment that he'd never seen this before and seems to have concluded that something corrosive has come into contact with the finish. The service tech didn't sound optimistic that Lexus was going to approve replacement. He said we should hear something back in the next day or two...

My wife says no known impact or other problem. She didn't even know it was lose. When I saw it the plastic was seperated from the body by 1". Looks like plastic place for clip broke. We pushed it back together, but I doubt it will hold. 2007 Lexus GS 350. Please let me know your thoughts. Photos are in the ZIP file. Passenger side posterior aspect of wheel-well.

Thanks,

David

Anniston, AL

post-40992-1189002622_thumb.jpg

Not yet. They called me about a week ago and told me they were waiting for some regional manager guy to swing through town. They said he would want to look at my rims and that he would have to "approve" the replacement. I thing I'm still waiting for that guy to come through...

I am new to this site looking for info on stained rims and I saw your pictures and my car rims look exactly the same way!! I noticed it about 2 weeks ago, but just go out this weekend to attempt to clean them. Obviously with no luck- have you had any feedback from the dealership on this yet. That is going to be my next call. Please advise, thanks.

I am new to this site looking for info on stained rims and I saw your pictures and my car rims look exactly the same way!! I noticed it about 2 weeks ago, but just go out this weekend to attempt to clean them. Obviously with no luck- have you had any feedback from the dealership on this yet. That is going to be my next call. Please advise, thanks.

The dealer service tech called me this morning to let me know that the Lexus engineer (based on photographs) has miraculously determined that something corrosive has been applied to the rims. Not necessarily a cleaner or chemical purposefully applied, but perhaps something from the road while driving... In any case, he has determined that it is not covered under warranty. Since he was able to determine all this from some digital photographs, he must be a really smart guy...

Now, I'm in a holding pattern waiting for some Lexus Regional Manager to come to town, at which point, he may override the engineer and warranty them anyway on a sort of goodwill/customer satisfaction basis. I guess next time I get ready to drop $60K on a car, I should look at BMWs...

The dealer service tech called me this morning to let me know that the Lexus engineer (based on photographs) has miraculously determined that something corrosive has been applied to the rims. Not necessarily a cleaner or chemical purposefully applied, but perhaps something from the road while driving... In any case, he has determined that it is not covered under warranty. Since he was able to determine all this from some digital photographs, he must be a really smart guy...

Now, I'm in a holding pattern waiting for some Lexus Regional Manager to come to town, at which point, he may override the engineer and warranty them anyway on a sort of goodwill/customer satisfaction basis. I guess next time I get ready to drop $60K on a car, I should look at BMWs...

I am about to make the call and I will take it in and have a feeling I am going to get the same treatment- it's funny you mentioned the BMW- I know these aren't going to be covered w/o a huge fight, so I started researching 2006 BMW's about an hour ago. At least I have a little ammo going in now with your story. Thanks for the info and good luck. If you receive any other info. please keep me in the loop.

• 2 weeks later...