1992 Rear Shocks

gtolds

how difficult largely depends on how techy you are. to me its not difficult as long as you have the right tools. it requires removing rear seat to get to the 6 nuts holding the upper ends of the 2 shocks, removing the bolds and nuts at the lower end of shocks is straight forward. you will also need a clamp (dont know how to call it correctly) that depresses the shock spring to replace the shock absorber.

each KYB shock absorber runs you about 120 bucks

how difficult largely depends on how techy you are. to me its not difficult as long as you have the right tools. it requires removing rear seat to get to the 6 nuts holding the upper ends of the 2 shocks, removing the bolds and nuts at the lower end of shocks is straight forward. you will also need a clamp (dont know how to call it correctly) that depresses the shock spring to replace the shock absorber.

each KYB shock absorber runs you about 120 bucks

Great, so they're not struts?

They ARE struts, but they are rather simple struts. The whole spring/shock assy comes out as one piece, just make sure you know what to loosen and more importantly NOT loosen...they are under a lot of pressure from the spring and will expand violently and you will get hurt!

Let someone else do it if you're hesitant or unsure.

I changed all the shocks on my 1990 LS400 and it is probably one of the most physically demanding jobs you can do on a car. You need a good assortment of tools as well as a good jack and jack stands. This car is a little more involved because it requires the removal of the rear seat and there is only tight access to the shock mounts. You'll need to rent a spring compressor also. So if you're a relative beginner, the cost from an independent is well worth it. New KYBs are as little as $250 for all four on ebay. Installation averages $75-$100 per corner but may be more because of the rear seat.

glenmore

1990 LS400

2000 C280

1991 300CE

I have a real bouncy 1992 non air bag LS 400. How difficult is it to replace the shocks (or are they struts?) and how much should it cost?

Thanks

When you say bouncy, was the rear just soft (like it would bottom out on a speed bump) or would it actually "bounce" ( like more than 2 oscillations after you push down on the rear bumper)? Mine LS is soft and I want a little more brawn back there. Gotta check out pops SC400 with $1300 bucks of all new struts to see what it should feel like. I know the springs are the suspension but if a strut/shock is bad, there is no resistance to compressing over the slightest dip or bump.

• 3 months later...

The hardest part is getting the hole on the shock mounting to line up with one of the 3 bolts on the strut mount.. I had to reinstall/install my strut 3 times to get it to line up and then hold it in there and put one of the 3 bolts to hold the whole assemble in there.. And also I had to buy a really long breaker bar to undo the nut on the bottom.. I had a 1/2" drive breaker bar about 1.5 feet long, no way you'll get it with that..

If you have an impact you're good.. But go get about a 3ft breaker bar they sell at advance auto, that'll take it off right away and just put a 19MM wrench on the other end...

Rent a strut spring compressor, return it and youll get refunded.. I didn't have to take out my rear deck.. Took out the seat bottom and back.. and was able to reach in and undo the bolts.. The rear bolt is the hardest.. put your 14mm box end on it, and take another wrench and hook the box end with the open end of the 14MM and use it as sort of a breaker bar to get more torque.. you know what I mean.. You hook 2 wrenches together to get it longer to get the torque...

Real easy, but it will take you some time, just alike anything else, you do the first one and the 2nd goes 3 x as fast...

When I had my 90' LS400, I bought new rear struts at the dealer for $52.00 each. I changed mine because the suspension was too firm. It had KYBs on it. I wanted a soft ride. The new ones did that. I personally would probably love the ride of that car.

When I had my 90' LS400, I bought new rear struts at the dealer for $52.00 each. I changed mine because the suspension was too firm. It had KYBs on it. I wanted a soft ride. The new ones did that. I personally would probably love the ride of that car.

I think the dealers are GR-2's now and they are NOT 52 each anymore, more like 120. A set just went on Ebay for 90 bucks for the rear set and 71 for the front set, about 230 for the complete set plus shipping from a few places on the internet for GR-2's about 30 more for Tokico.

• 2 weeks later...
Really? Pishta, how did you find out the dealers are GR-2's now? I'm bummed if that's true, because I wanted to duplicate the original ride when I was ready to change them out.

I hope they still have the original style as well, incase I ever need to get some for the 91' LS400 I am trying to buy. As of now, I am told it has a soft ride, which is what I like, but hopefully not too soft. <_<