Buying One With A Few Glitches, Worth It?

pishta

Guy wants to trade me my 156K 96 Suburban for his dead dads 96k 92 LS400. Looked at it and found a few things not mentioned: front right fender and bumper scraped (he ran it into something at a very low speed and shallow angle , probably bounced off but fender slightly dented and bumper cover has 8 by 8 inch scuff down to primer and about a 1/2 inch deflection of sheetmetal) R as in Reverse light on trans indicator goes on when you brake (is this a hidden indicator of low brake pads or something?) Also there is a indicator that looks like a car with its rear lights accented deep in the middle of the cluster, yellow in color. I looked at the taillights and they all seem to work, didnt check brake lights. No CD player. White in color and has the cheesy wheel covers with silver accents (oxidized bright trim pieces, paint looks ok). I didnt check if it had air suspension, but the rear seemed pretty soft. I went over a few speed bumps at about 3 mph and the rear seemed to bottom out ever so gently, normal? (oh forgot, he did have a hardwood dresser back there) I didnt ask if the timimg belt had been changed but he had a 1 inch thick folder of maintenance receipts. My Suburban is perfect except typical 90's clear coat paint cancer, some stainless trim pieces that have shopping cart dents and it goes through about 1L of water a month, dont know where it is going, doesnt bother me, never gets hot. Should I investigate further or keep looking? I just want out of a 10MPG truck. He has 4 kids and wants a straight across trade. pishta68@hotmail.com. Im going to make a decision by 7-13 if possible.

Guy wants to trade me my 156K 96 Suburban for his dead dads 96k 92 LS400. Looked at it and found a few things not mentioned: front right fender and bumper scraped (he ran it into something at a very low speed and shallow angle , probably bounced off but fender slightly dented and bumper cover has 8 by 8 inch scuff down to primer and about a 1/2 inch deflection of sheetmetal) R as in Reverse light on trans indicator goes on when you brake (is this a hidden indicator of low brake pads or something?) Also there is a indicator that looks like a car with its rear lights accented deep in the middle of the cluster, yellow in color. I looked at the taillights and they all seem to work, didnt check brake lights. No CD player. White in color and has the cheesy wheel covers with silver accents (oxidized bright trim pieces, paint looks ok). I didnt check if it had air suspension, but the rear seemed pretty soft. I went over a few speed bumps at about 3 mph and the rear seemed to bottom out ever so gently, normal? (oh forgot, he did have a hardwood dresser back there) I didnt ask if the timimg belt had been changed but he had a 1 inch thick folder of maintenance receipts. My Suburban is perfect except typical 90's clear coat paint cancer, some stainless trim pieces that have shopping cart dents and it goes through about 1L of water a month, dont know where it is going, doesnt bother me, never gets hot. Should I investigate further or keep looking? I just want out of a 10MPG truck. He has 4 kids and wants a straight across trade. pishta68@hotmail.com. Im going to make a decision by 7-13 if possible.

id look else where. these cars arent cheap to fix

Not sure of book value difference between both vehicles, but i'd much rather have the Lexus. 96K is very low miles for a 92 and depending on your driving, about 3 years worth of miles less than the Suburban (and 20+ mpg). Check and see if timing belt service was done. That and a review of the service receipts will give you an idea of how well it was maintained. If you are a DIYer, these cars aren't expensive to repair, but like any car, if you take it to the dealer be prepared to bend over. There's lots of help here on the forum and not many issues that someone hasn't already dealt with.

The indicator light you mentioned is a tail light out indicator. Mine used to go on falsely on occasion. It is measuring the voltage draw and sensing a drop. Could be a light about to go but i wouldn't worry about it. Do check the brake lights though. Probably doesn't have air suspension since there's no CD. Usually air suspension is more likely to be found on a fully loaded vehicle.

Potentially a great car if it has been maintained. I'd say check it out further and if things look good, go for it.

Good luck with your decision. :cheers:

I have a 92 ls400...and I got rid of a chevy truck after I got it, but being offered a trade is interesting! I assume it runs, shifts ok? Mine does not have the reverse light one when you hit the brake prob, but as mentioned prev. there are many threads on that being a frayed wire in the trunk hinge.

The light on the dash means a tail light-bulb is out, there are like 3 bulbs on each side, so seeing that one is out can be tough. It you're certain one is NOT burnt out...then weird...dunno.

Mine also has light body damage. Its way too expensive to fix so make sure you can live with it as is or fixed cheaply. Its actually not all that noticable.

Struts sound like they're ok. I changed mine at 185K and they still didn't ride all that bad (mine are passive, not air...never had the air ones)

I would be interested in the timing belt and water pump....if they are original put it on your to-do list but they're probably not going to fail tommorrow. Also, this engine is non-interference so it's not going to trash your valves if it breaks. I have reason to believe the one on my car broke a few years ago at 168,000 miles.

I get about 18.5 mpg around town and 23-24 on the highway....this car does take premium. Personally, I would take the trade because I hate spending lots on gas, hated my chevy truck, and have actually grown quite fond of this old lexus!

Have a Lexus dealer or an independent that specializes in Lexus inspect it for you. Could be a great trade.

Your Suburban probably has the infamous leaking intake which would explain your coolant disappearance. They also had problems with the fuel injection (SCPI) which was later scrapped by GM and replaced by a new system (MFI). You might also get an estimate on the intake fix and injection swap (they'll have it off to do the intake) and that amount might cover the services necessary on the LS.

Have a Lexus dealer or an independent that specializes in Lexus inspect it for you. Could be a great trade.

Your Suburban probably has the infamous leaking intake which would explain your coolant disappearance. They also had problems with the fuel injection (SCPI) which was later scrapped by GM and replaced by a new system (MFI). You might also get an estimate on the intake fix and injection swap (they'll have it off to do the intake) and that amount might cover the services necessary on the LS.

The guy now wants to kick in a grand to boot. That is The LS and $1000 bucks. Thatll almost cover the timing belt at the dealer..Hell, Ill do that myself! He took it to the dealer and gothe indicator fixed, not sure if it was the taillight or R when the brakes are applied. Although the bumper scrape is still there. Anyone know what a pearl white bumper skin goes for at the dead Lexus store? My 93 Diamante's rear was 600! Insurance is another $170 a year and Premium gas, does it run on regular? What is the compression of the LS motor that demands premium? Im a Hot Rodder and if the compression is not more than about 9.8:1, premium is a rip off, especially with AL heads. This car was driven for the last 5 years by an old man to the golf course and back, a real car in barn story.

By the way, I believe this engine runs a little over 10:1 compression, but it does seem to run ok on regular or mid.

See here for a clip of what this car can really do....and please don't do it....

By the way, I believe this engine runs a little over 10:1 compression, but it does seem to run ok on regular or mid.

See here for a clip of what this car can really do....and please don't do it....

Well, I pulled the trigger and committed to do the trade. I am going over there 1 more time to give it the final inspection, looking at all the things in the LS400 buyers guide posted here. The dealer fixed the R light. Question: When is the factory interval for timing belt, 80 or 100K? and do you need to do the tensioner bearings while you are down there? I already bought a Goodyear Gatorback timing belt for 17 bucks on Ebay!

Well, I pulled the trigger and committed to do the trade. I am going over there 1 more time to give it the final inspection, looking at all the things in the LS400 buyers guide posted here. The dealer fixed the R light. Question: When is the factory interval for timing belt, 80 or 100K? and do you need to do the tensioner bearings while you are down there? I already bought a Goodyear Gatorback timing belt for 17 bucks on Ebay!

Update: Got the white over silver LS last night, excellent condition besides the small right corner bumper/fender issue, will pop out and rub out this weekend. Pouring through the extensive service records, I found at 69K, the timing belt was replaced, Whoo hoo! They also did the water pump, resealed the power stearing box, did the front bearings and seals and stearing linkage and front brakes. That is a huge relief as I was about to put the wnning bid on the belt. I will change out the plugs and test the wires, do a oil change and all the "Gee, I just got a different car so Ill check ..." stuff. 77,000 mile check up from a garage suggests lower balljoints, hmmm.Everything works, I think i need to replace the battery in the key. I even have the window sticker. Service receipts all the way back to 91 including the receipt from Tustin Lexus, $41,378.33 dated 12/23/91. Im at ease...

Congrats on your purchase. If the car is in as good of shape as you indicate, you won't be disappointed. Sounds like you got an excellent deal with a grand in your pocket on this deal!

Congrats man, please post pics! :)

You can probably use the extra grand to fix up any problems in the Lexus including bodywork/paint and needed maintenance.

How much was your truck worth? I would love to find a good maintained LS for 3k.....there are none for sale around here! :(