Break Wear Indicator Light Won't Turn Off

iamfredman

I have recently purchased a 96 LS400 and just love the car. The P.O. had replaced the front brakes (calipers, rotors and pads), but the break wear indicator light is still on. I pulled to right side front wheel to make sure everything looked right, and it does. There is a new pad wear indicator (I check it for continuity). I unplugged the indicator, and closed the circuit using aligator clips, but the light is still on.

I believe that I have a broken wire somewhere. Can anyone (hopefully with an electrical manual) tell me what the indicator is wired to? Hopefully this will help in finding the broken wire.

John

• 5 weeks later...

I have recently purchased a 96 LS400 and just love the car. The P.O. had replaced the front brakes (calipers, rotors and pads), but the break wear indicator light is still on. I pulled to right side front wheel to make sure everything looked right, and it does. There is a new pad wear indicator (I check it for continuity). I unplugged the indicator, and closed the circuit using aligator clips, but the light is still on.

I believe that I have a broken wire somewhere. Can anyone (hopefully with an electrical manual) tell me what the indicator is wired to? Hopefully this will help in finding the broken wire.

John

John,

There is a wear sensor wire assembly for each of the four wheels. Any one broken will keep the light lit. I just went through checking My 93 LS400 and two were shot. The jerk replacing the rear pads mixed up left and right side, so the sensor wires ended up on top instead of the bottom of the pads. The retaining

clips therefore did not hold the wires and they broke lose. You can either short the two wires together and live without the sensors or spend I believe the $90.00 the dealers want for a new sensor wire.

good luck