Gps Problems

A few thoughts about the GPS.

Another other thread has folks complaining about being "locked out" of the GPS while driving. They say they need to pull over "to enter the destination." That's kind of ironic, since the 460 allows for voice recognition -- while driving -- yet in 6 pages not one person mentioned it. It's not a perfect system, as you'll see in a moment, but you are definitely NOT locked out of the GPS the way you were with earlier models. (I'm referring here only to the GPS, not the other functions that do get locked out.)

I've used the voice recognition system several times. In general, it works fine. You say "Address" and it asks for State, then city, then street, then street number.

Problems arise, however, when, no matter how I pronounce a certain town, it fails to recognize what I'm saying. It seems it would be an easy fix for it to accept spelling of the town or street. After all, if it can understand, as it did yesterday, Pennsylvania, Downingtown, Perimeter Drive, surely if could understand the 26 letters of the alphabet.

If it could not get the town I wanted, it should ask for the first letter, then the second, and maybe the third, and then it would be able to "understand" when I say the name of the town.

But a much worse problem has been happening lately. Yesterday, on that trip from NYC to Downington, a trip of around 150 miles, it wanted to route me through Harrisburg -- which would have added another 150 miles to the trip! It gave me that route both going down and also when I said "Go Home." All my previous GPS systems were wacky in Manhattan, but I have never seen anything like the problems I saw yesterday, and other days as well, with my 460 GPS.

Is this happening to others? I have at least one neighbor who took her Lexus back for repairs on the GPS because it kept getting her lost. But she's a rather elderly lady (sorry for being sexist and ageist) and I thought perhaps she just didn't know how to use it. For me, this is my 4th vehicle with GPS, so I think I know how they are supposed to function.

Ideas about what's going on?

Another other thread has folks complaining about being "locked out" of the GPS while driving. They say they need to pull over "to enter the destination." That's kind of ironic, since the 460 allows for voice recognition -- while driving -- yet in 6 pages not one person mentioned it. It's not a perfect system, as you'll see in a moment, but you are definitely NOT locked out of the GPS the way you were with earlier models. (I'm referring here only to the GPS, not the other functions that do get locked out.)

I've used the voice recognition system several times. In general, it works fine. You say "Address" and it asks for State, then city, then street, then street number.

Problems arise, however, when, no matter how I pronounce a certain town, it fails to recognize what I'm saying. It seems it would be an easy fix for it to accept spelling of the town or street. After all, if it can understand, as it did yesterday, Pennsylvania, Downingtown, Perimeter Drive, surely if could understand the 26 letters of the alphabet.

If it could not get the town I wanted, it should ask for the first letter, then the second, and maybe the third, and then it would be able to "understand" when I say the name of the town.

But a much worse problem has been happening lately. Yesterday, on that trip from NYC to Downington, a trip of around 150 miles, it wanted to route me through Harrisburg -- which would have added another 150 miles to the trip! It gave me that route both going down and also when I said "Go Home." All my previous GPS systems were wacky in Manhattan, but I have never seen anything like the problems I saw yesterday, and other days as well, with my 460 GPS.

Is this happening to others? I have at least one neighbor who took her Lexus back for repairs on the GPS because it kept getting her lost. But she's a rather elderly lady (sorry for being sexist and ageist) and I thought perhaps she just didn't know how to use it. For me, this is my 4th vehicle with GPS, so I think I know how they are supposed to function.

Sorry if I state the obvious, but do you have something like "avoid freeways" selected? Just some food for thought....

Sorry if I state the obvious, but do you have something like "avoid freeways" selected? Just some food for thought....

In fact, I did inadvertently have one of those options selected, and unselecting it did clear up that problem. Nonetheless, it still seems amazing that it would be programmed to send me WEST on the Penn. Turnpike (a major freeway) for about 80 miles when I needed to go EAST!

• 4 months later...

Yes, I believe that Lexus has a major software problem with its navigation system. Please see my (Lexus trekker16) discussion in this site about the navigation problems that I and many others are having. The navigation system regularly routes to the wrong place, refuses to take existing addresses and takes unnecessarily long routes to get to destinations. I have not heard of any solution yet.