99 Lx470 Making High Pitch Sound

seehack

I am about to bring in my 99 LX470 w/103k into Lexus. Over the last month, there were 5 occurances when suddenly there is a high pitch sound coming from under the car. Seem like below the front area behind the engine. Not sure. The last 2 happened yesterday and today. At first I thought it is the brakes since the 3rd and 4th occassions I just slowed down the vehicle to change lanes. My wife told me the first occasions she was on steady speed.

My last service at 100k and 95k was just oil change at the dealer. I had the front right brakes inspected again at 100k as the brake seem slower. Dealer tech says all well. At 95k I reported grinding sound and the rotor groove seems irregular on right front wheel. 1st tech say change both front and rear rotors and pads but the supervisor later said fronts are fine but they did change the rear pads and resurfaced rotors. 99k service is $500 and no timing belt change. They told me they inspect and only change if it necessary. Strange enough my wife took it to a smog check station and the owner there told her we need to change the timing belt as this vehicle's need changing around 100k.

Any advise if my brakes, timing belt or transmission causing this sound?

Thanks.

I am about to bring in my 99 LX470 w/103k into Lexus. Over the last month, there were 5 occurances when suddenly there is a high pitch sound coming from under the car. Seem like below the front area behind the engine. Not sure. The last 2 happened yesterday and today. At first I thought it is the brakes since the 3rd and 4th occassions I just slowed down the vehicle to change lanes. My wife told me the first occasions she was on steady speed.

My last service at 100k and 95k was just oil change at the dealer. I had the front right brakes inspected again at 100k as the brake seem slower. Dealer tech says all well. At 95k I reported grinding sound and the rotor groove seems irregular on right front wheel. 1st tech say change both front and rear rotors and pads but the supervisor later said fronts are fine but they did change the rear pads and resurfaced rotors. 99k service is $500 and no timing belt change. They told me they inspect and only change if it necessary. Strange enough my wife took it to a smog check station and the owner there told her we need to change the timing belt as this vehicle's need changing around 100k.

Thanks.

Timing belt should be done at 90K, transmission fluid every 30K mi. It's a good idea to change the water pump at the same time, as it's located behind the t-belt and lasts ~120K. Don't know about a high-pitched sound, but a howling sound would be a bad bearing (like bearings in the water pump?). The wheel bearings should last a lot longer than 100K mi as long as they're not contaminated (you didn't submerge them).

Does the high pitched sound change w/ engine rpm or vehicle speed?

Thanks.

Timing belt should be done at 90K, transmission fluid every 30K mi. It's a good idea to change the water pump at the same time, as it's located behind the t-belt and lasts ~120K. Don't know about a high-pitched sound, but a howling sound would be a bad bearing (like bearings in the water pump?). The wheel bearings should last a lot longer than 100K mi as long as they're not contaminated (you didn't submerge them).

Does the high pitched sound change w/ engine rpm or vehicle speed?

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Took into the dealer. Advisor told me it could be either the pulley or the water pump bearing. For some reason when I took in for 90k they did not do the timing belt which is part of the PM requirement. Manual and their old service booklet did not specify. So they are doing the timing belts, couple of external belts, water pumps, idlers and some internal engine seals...and check the engine area to see what else... They quote me around $1800 for the work. Price OK?

Thanks,

Seehack

• 9 years later...

Mine was making a high pitched noise in park and when i stopped. Not supper loud but high pitched. anyway i changed the fluid in the transmission and will let you know if e noise went away once i have it all back together. will probably post another video for it.