What Mufflers Sound Best On A Sc 400?

I HAVE A 93 SC 400 AND I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT CHANGING THE MUFFLERS EVERY SINCE I HEARD A TOYOTA TRUCK WITH A V8 AT THE GAS STATION. THE OWNER OF THE TRUCK SAID HE HAD MAGAFLOW MUFFLERS AND THAT WAS ALL, NO INTAKE OR ANYTHING BUT THE TRUCK SOUNDED LIKE AN AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR. A REALLY NICE DEEP SOUND. NOW, I HAVE BEEN THINKING THE MOTORS CAN'T BE THAT DIFFERENT, I WONDER WOULD MY C,AR HAVE THE SAME SOUND. THE QUESTION I PUT BEFORE THE GREAT MINDS OF THE FOURM IS. WILL I GET THAT SOUND OR DOES ANYONE HAVE A BETTER CHOICE.

THANK YOU

RAY

I HAVE A 93 SC 400 AND I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT CHANGING THE MUFFLERS EVERY SINCE I HEARD A TOYOTA TRUCK WITH A V8 AT THE GAS STATION. THE OWNER OF THE TRUCK SAID HE HAD MAGAFLOW MUFFLERS AND THAT WAS ALL, NO INTAKE OR ANYTHING BUT THE TRUCK SOUNDED LIKE AN AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR. A REALLY NICE DEEP SOUND. NOW, I HAVE BEEN THINKING THE MOTORS CAN'T BE THAT DIFFERENT, I WONDER WOULD MY C,AR HAVE THE SAME SOUND. THE QUESTION I PUT BEFORE THE GREAT MINDS OF THE FOURM IS. WILL I GET THAT SOUND OR DOES ANYONE HAVE A BETTER CHOICE.

THANK YOU

RAY

I have Magnaflow's hi-flow tips and offset, polished stainless steel, oval mufflers and I LOVE them. They look great (polished), fit perfectly (oval, offset like the OEMs and use the existing mounts) and they sound cool without being obnoxious ( a nice rich, deep V-8 sound for my SC400). I personally don't like my cars to be REALLY loud, but folks can hear you coming...menacingly I might add.

I also removed the resonators and straightened/replaced (2.25") the pipes out a bit to increase airflow. I plan on replacing the center and 2 forward Cats with hi-flow Magnaflows, but haven't got around to it yet. I think removing the resonators and adding the hi-flow Magnaflow mufflers make a HUGE difference. If you want to read all kinds of stuff in excruciating detail, go to Jibbby's thread "Results of mods to my SC400" and you can get more info than you'll want.

Hope this helps.

I redid my exhaust system with taking everything off past the 1st 2 cats. I replaced the piping with true dual 2-1/4" piping all the way back which deleted the coupler cat, and the 2 resonators. The mufflers I used were the polished stainless Magnaflow XL SS mufflers which are offset just like the OEM ones. I also put on Airmass non resonating 4 inch tips. Here are the pics and some sound clips.

ebay129.jpg

ebay128.jpg

I redid my exhaust system with taking everything off past the 1st 2 cats. I replaced the piping with true dual 2-1/4" piping all the way back which deleted the coupler cat, and the 2 resonators. The mufflers I used were the polished stainless Magnaflow XL SS mufflers which are offset just like the OEM ones. I also put on Airmass non resonating 4 inch tips. Here are the pics and some sound clips.

ebay129.jpg

ebay128.jpg

So you deleted the Y-piping altogether? How did that work out for mounting and such? Do they hang flush along the underside?

I was about to replace the forward cats with hi-flow Magnaflows, but I was going to keep the Y-piping. It would be much more direct (re: higher flowing = increase in useful HP) to go straight back. More details purty please.

Sounds awesome!!! Do you have part numbers for the mufflers? I could not find anything on Magnaflows website.

Sorry I threw away the boxes when I got the exhaust done. I will try to locate the exact part number for ya. They are called Magnaflow XL SS mufflers. Yes, this is true duals.....I changed out the cats to magnaflows, after that it was 2.25" piping from each cat back to the mufflers, no more resonators either. And those are Airspeed tips on the mufflers as the mufflers did not come with tips. There were no issues with space or mounting, everything lined up perfectly, just like stock because the mufflers are the same dimensions as the OEM ones........the muffler shop guy was very impressed with how it turned out as I was too!!

Yes it pulls stronger than what it did.........but it pulls differently.......if that makes sense. Because you decrease backpressure, the tranny shifts differently because less vaccuum is created. But it still has the low end torque, it is not lost completely, but midrange and top pull much stronger!! I have also seen about a 7% increase in fuel economy over a tank of fuel even with my heavier foot now!! Not too shabby!!

Sounds awesome!!! Do you have part numbers for the mufflers? I could not find anything on Magnaflows website.

You have to go with universals. This is what I have and they look and sound SWEET...

Magnaflow mufflers... http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd...main&id=587

Magnaflow tips... http://www.planetmagnaflow.com/shop/magnaflow-35158-476.html

http://www.magnaflowonline.com/catalog/product_info.php?

cPath=975_144_145&products_id=645&osCsid=f4523cff128cf475a0d6fd17af28059f

Wow that really sounds great!! I've been looking for some video clips of how some SC400's sound with an exhaust sys. This one sounds great. How much was it to get all of that done? I'm def going to have to look at a set of those magnaflows. The last thing I want is to have my sc400 sounding like a ricer. The sound of your car just nailed it on what I was looking for. Thanks.

Wow that really sounds great!! I've been looking for some video clips of how some SC400's sound with an exhaust sys. This one sounds great. How much was it to get all of that done? I'm def going to have to look at a set of those magnaflows. The last thing I want is to have my sc400 sounding like a ricer. The sound of your car just nailed it on what I was looking for. Thanks.

Roughly about $300 total. The mufflers were about $80 for the pair. The tips were about $35.00 for the pair. Then for the shop to use 2.25" piping and all the labor was about $150.

Another great Magnaflow muffler that is a little bit more expensive and comes with the tips included is the 14829. It is a street series high performance muffler and it sounds excellent on the SC400. I highly recomend it with 2.25 inch piping into a magnaflow x-pipe then back to the mufflers, eliminating the 3rd cat and the 2 resonators. There is a couple videos at youtube.com just search for sc400 exhaust. :) 2 thumbs up.

• 10 months later...

Yeah I think magnaflow mufflers are the best. I got rod millens (magnaflow) on my SC400. I originally bought them thinking I would do a simple muffler swap, but the exhaust shop I went to offered to do a complete exhaust system for just $300. Now I got two 2.5" pipes running from the primary cats all the way straight through to the mufflers; its a true split/dual. No resonators and no 3rd cat really make for an amazing sounding exhaust. Unfortunately none of my friends have a video recorder so I can't give you a sound clip, but here's some pics:

sc400-5.jpg

sc400-9.jpg