Annoying Vibration - Rx330

gmmorrow

I'm the proud owner of a Savanah RX330. As nice as the vehicle is, there is one item that has me completely baffled.

It is a very annoying buzzing noise emanating from the driver's side A pillar or, the dash, or the door or the ?????!!!!! As you can tell, I have NO IDEA where it's coming from. Unfortunately, neither does the dealer! It occurs under acceleration between 1,800 and 2,000 rpms most every time. It'll be going back to the dealer this week for the fourth time to try to solve this mystery.

So far, the dealer has fiddled with the exhuast system including performing the recent recall. They've repositioned the cat. conv. heat shield. They removed the Driver's side A Pilar and installed additional insulation material. I almost made it home last Thursday before the problem returned!

Suggestions, please!

I own a 2004 RX 330 sport. I have had 2 annoying noises since i took delivery in June. The first was a jingle/rattle from the rear area of the car. It appeared to be coming from the rear seat assmbly. After 3 visits to the dealer and several road tests , the dealer had a bright idea, Lets take the car for a drive and put another tech in the back seat ! Well the rattle was located and determined to be a wiring harness for the rear dome light assembly under the roof liner that was loose. I am now facing the same problem you described and cant wait to go through this again. It seems to be coming from the in dash cup holder, located on the left of the steering wheel . when I press on the holder the sound seems to go away. I will let you know how it turns out. If you find out anything on your end keep us posted .

Good Luck.

Thanks for the response. I was beginning to think I was the only one with such an issue.

I'm now scheduled to LEAVE the car with Lexus on September 11th for "as long as it takes" and drive a loaner in the interim. I'll keep you posted.

You're not alone. My RX330 will buzz when it's under load around 3000rpm. When the weather is cold there is less buzz and the buzz comes on at a higher RPM. The buzz sounds like a metal piece resonating. I am not sure where it is coming from either (my guess behind the dash or from the engine bay). The tech heard it but does not know where it is coming from therefore I have been reluctant to have it fix because the buzz is not very loud. The multi-panel moonroof have a loud rattle over bumps when half open. No TSB for the moonroof rattle and therefore again I have not ask the dealer to attempt fixing that rattle. The other thing I find is the drive by wire throttle is a little bit too sensitive for my taste. When I back off the gas I get a kick from the RX due to the engine retardation/braking. I have to be really smooth with the gas pedal to prevent that kick. I have fix both front seat squeaks by oiling the seat rail/bracket junction. Otherwise so far so good. Excellent gas mileage. Keep us posted.

RX330 silver Multipanel moonroof

Ontario Cananda

I think the resonating sound you are refering to is related to the A/C condensor fan. Try turning the A/C compressor off and see if this eliminates this problem. I took a road test with the tech and he determined that it was a noisy A/C compressor. I had the compressor replaced, but the problem still persisted. In another posting, A owner had the compressor replaced and the same thing . It apparently was further determined by the tech to be a condensor fan and clutch.

the tech said he expected a TSB or recall on this shortly.

Good luck to us all !

Thanks for the suggestion, Adman. I'll have a shot at the air conditioner ASAP. I spent a good deal of time in the car today and have pushed, shoved and squeezed just about everything within my reach on the left side of the car. Can't seem to affect ANYTHING!

As I stated earlier, it only happens between 1,800 and 2,000 rpm in ONLY 1st and second gear. I can cruise all day at 1,900 rpm in third fourth or fifth with NO noise at all. It definitely makes me think of a "LOAD" situation.

I'll post tomorrow with the results of the air conditioner.

I have tried driving with the condensor and fan off and still have the buzz. Definitely load related because I have tried putting the car in 2nd gear so to keep the RPM at round constant 3000 driving slowly and there is no buzz. The buzz only comes on when you stomp on the gas and as the RPM reaches 3000 the buzz comes on and will be there until the gear shifts and the RPM drops.

• 7 months later...

Gentlemen

I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander with the same annoying vibration problem. It has the same powertrain as the Lexus RX330 and apparently the same problems. I am attaching my latest letter to the Toyota distributor for my area. I was going to trade my Highlander for an RX330 but it has the exact same vibration as my Highlander. Actually on the RX330 it was slightly worse due to the wooden steering wheel which didn't absorb any of the vibrations. Good luck to all of us in getting rid of this vibration.

Roger Croghan

Highlander2.doc