460 Headlights

Has anyone else noticced that 460 highbeams are yellower than the low beams and seem yellower than they were on a 430 and not as uniformly distributed as were the highbeams on the previous model. Car is not loaded, one passenger, no luggage and there is a noticeable unevenness (sp) in the lighting. I almost think there is a speed related intensity algorithm at work here because the symptoms seem worse on 30 to 50 MPH country roads, yet at road speed on divided highways the lighting seems better. I'll have the dealer check, but it seems that lighting should be good right out of the box.

Has anyone else noticced that 460 highbeams are yellower than the low beams and seem yellower than they were on a 430 and not as uniformly distributed as were the highbeams on the previous model. Car is not loaded, one passenger, no luggage and there is a noticeable unevenness (sp) in the lighting. I almost think there is a speed related intensity algorithm at work here because the symptoms seem worse on 30 to 50 MPH country roads, yet at road speed on divided highways the lighting seems better. I'll have the dealer check, but it seems that lighting should be good right out of the box.

I have had to make two trips to the dealer to have the low beams raised and the high beams lowered--and I still do not notice any improvement. I still prefer the "old" halogen sealed beam headlight instead of the HID lights with the sharp cut-off...

Sealed beam headlights? What is this 1987? ;)

I think the issue you're seeing is projector vs reflector headlamps. Your 02 had reflectors, the 430 from 04-06 has projectors as does the 460. Projectors have sharper cutoffs all around.

I think I had the HID in my '02 and I loved them! That gap you are trying to fill by raising the lows and lowering the highs is exactly what is bothering me. Is Metro your dealer by chance?

Dealer is Lexus of Toledo

• 3 months later...

I agree that the head lights are unusual. The high beams are really high, too high. They illuminate trees etc. about 30 ft. off the ground. And there is a black, dark line between the space lit up by the low and high beams. The dealer says that the lights cannot be adjusted relative to each other. That is, the dim beams cannot be raised to meet the high beams and vice versa. "It is working within specifications". Where have I heard that before? Has anyone else noted this problem and/or soved it?

The high beams in the 460 are halogen, vs. HID for the low beams. Same in the 430. Halogens are noticeably yellow, compared to the white/blue light that HIDs produce. Completely different types of lighting systems. I'm not sure why the LS still uses halogen for the high beams. Even my 2004 Acura TL had "bi-xenon" headlights (high and low beam), although I think the same bulb was used for both.

• 4 weeks later...

The headlight arrangement is far from perfect in my opinion. I have experienced the problems as others have listed with no help from the dealer. The lights are not adjustable enough and the low beams are grossly inadequate for highway driving or driving in the "country".

• 1 month later...

Well, my problem is solved. Due to some highway debris (a long story in itself) I had to have both headlamp assemblies replaced with new ones. The new ones are just what I had wanted. No dark band between the highs and lows and the dealer didn't even have to adjust them. Powering up the new assemblies made them "cage" and they've been great since.

I will say that at about $600 for each side I thought I was being taken - until I saw the assemblies themselves. There are several servos, a computer or two and probably 50 or more parts in each one. I'd hate to make them for the price they sell for. In any event, they do work. The lights are a bear to get to and there is a 2hr flatrate just to get to where they can be romoved. I would think that before long, a firmware change or something will be available to correct those lamps that don't seem well directed.

• 1 year later...
I agree that the head lights are unusual. The high beams are really high, too high. They illuminate trees etc. about 30 ft. off the ground. And there is a black, dark line between the space lit up by the low and high beams. The dealer says that the lights cannot be adjusted relative to each other. That is, the dim beams cannot be raised to meet the high beams and vice versa. "It is working within specifications". Where have I heard that before? Has anyone else noted this problem and/or soved it?

I have a 460 LS - purchased in California in July 08. The service manager at dealer in Calgary seems surprised that I don't like the headlights, but he hasn't had time to clearly see the lights (!) my problem sounds like yours, that is; a dark band between low and high beam and the high beams are aimed so high they are useless. I will have another discussion with dealer next week and hopefully he will treat me with respect and actually see the headlight pattern rather than dismissing it or claiming that if there is a problem, it is due to poor dealer preparation and therefore not a warranty item.

I'll take some photos tonite and post them.

• 2 weeks later...

The LS460L uses the bi-xenon version of the LS460 headlight projector. The projectors look identical from the outside, yet in the L, there is a solenoid that pulls down the cutoff shield in the low beam projector when in "high beam mode", which adds more light above the cutoff to aid the halogen high beam projector.

Also the Taiwanese LS460 headlights use the bi-xenon version.

• 9 months later...

I have a 460 LS - purchased in California in July 08. The service manager at dealer in Calgary seems surprised that I don't like the headlights, but he hasn't had time to clearly see the lights (!) my problem sounds like yours, that is; a dark band between low and high beam and the high beams are aimed so high they are useless. I will have another discussion with dealer next week and hopefully he will treat me with respect and actually see the headlight pattern rather than dismissing it or claiming that if there is a problem, it is due to poor dealer preparation and therefore not a warranty item.

I don't know what happened to my other posts on this forum.... so Lexus Canada say (by email) they agree with my assessment and the dealer's assessment that there is a gap in light between the low and the high. I asked if they had a fix for this problem and they have not replied. (3 months). I guess I'll drive a different car at night in the country.

I don't know what happened to my other posts on this forum.... so Lexus Canada say (by email) they agree with my assessment and the dealer's assessment that there is a gap in light between the low and the high. I asked if they had a fix for this problem and they have not replied. (3 months). I guess I'll drive a different car at night in the country.

Don't give up yet, Maybe if the headlight's were moved up a bit this would solve your problem. I will take a look and see how hard it is to adjust and then post how here.

In the LS460 both the low beams AND high beams are projectors, just separate. If you're noticing a gap between the low beam and high beam, you can either lower the high beam projectors, or raise the low beam projectors. Both should have adjustment bolts on the back of the headlights.

The LS460 high beam projectors have a reverse cutoff shield, so they only provide light ABOVE a horizontal line. The low beam projectors only provide light BELOW a horizontal line. So it's 100% possible for there to be a large gap between the low and high if they're not aligned perfectly.

In the LS460 both the low beams AND high beams are projectors, just separate. If you're noticing a gap between the low beam and high beam, you can either lower the high beam projectors, or raise the low beam projectors. Both should have adjustment bolts on the back of the headlights.

The LS460 high beam projectors have a reverse cutoff shield, so they only provide light ABOVE a horizontal line. The low beam projectors only provide light BELOW a horizontal line. So it's 100% possible for there to be a large gap between the low and high if they're not aligned perfectly.

On the LS 460 the headlights high and low are adjusted as one unit. If you replace the bulb the alignment can be affected that is why they recommend if you are going to do a alignment you might want to replace the bulb if you have some hours on it. You can check to see if the car is in spec by following the attached info. Use ctrl shift + to rotate.

Have fun.

460 head pg 1.PDF

460 head pg 2.PDF

460 head pg3.PDF

460 head pg 4.PDF

• 3 months later...

On the LS 460 the headlights high and low are adjusted as one unit. If you replace the bulb the alignment can be affected that is why they recommend if you are going to do a alignment you might want to replace the bulb if you have some hours on it. You can check to see if the car is in spec by following the attached info. Use ctrl shift + to rotate.

Have fun.

• Like 1

Thanks, Lex460.

I am not prepared to start adjusting it myself, and I dont think that will fix problem, since low and high move together. I will take the car to another dealer and see if they offer to change bulbs to correct the problem. I appreciate you posting scans of your repair manual.