Toyota Replacing My Timing Belt And Water Pump?

Hi I have a 1999 GS400 and its about to hit 90000 miles and I need to get my water pump and timing belt replaced. But my question is that Toyota is charging me $700 + tax and the Lexus dealship is charging me $1300 + tax so what should I do get it done by Toyota or Lexus?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have a 1999 GS400 and its about to hit 90000 miles and I need to get my water pump and timing belt replaced. But my question is that Toyota is charging me $700 + tax and the Lexus dealship is charging me $1300 + tax so what should I do get it done by Toyota or Lexus?

Your GS400 has the same engine as a Toyota Supra. Toyota would be fine, but you might want to check in with an auto repair shop that you can trust. They would be cheaper.

The GS300 has an engine similar to the Supra - the GS400 has the V-8, related to the new Tundra engines.

A well trained and experienced Toyota technician will have no problem at all doing the t-belt on your car, and they have access to all the needed factory parts. I'd choose a Toyota shop over an independant. Chasing the last few dollars out of a job is not worth it - have someone who knows what they are doing do the job if you are not willing to do it yourself.

The GS300 has an engine similar to the Supra - the GS400 has the V-8, related to the new Tundra engines.

A well trained and experienced Toyota technician will have no problem at all doing the t-belt on your car, and they have access to all the needed factory parts. I'd choose a Toyota shop over an independant. Chasing the last few dollars out of a job is not worth it - have someone who knows what they are doing do the job if you are not willing to do it yourself.

Toyota supra has the 2jz-gte and the GS300 has the 2jz-GE with VTT-i. The VTT-I engine is an interference engine, If you miss 3 teeth and the valves will bend. Non of the toyota engine has the 2jz-GE VTT-I except the lexus family. Well let me take it back the newer Toyota supra has the VVT-i, but that is in Japan. I've seen and heard many toyota techs bend the valves when changing out the belts. If you do go to the independent, make sure they are a lexus specialty shop. Otherwise Lexus dealership will be your best bet. What does it involve in the $700 repair? Do they just change out the timing belt and water pump only? I would suggest that you have the drive belt, timing belt tensioner, cam and crank seal replace at the same time.

Regards,

JPI

I've seen and heard many toyota techs bend the valves when changing out the belts.

What exactly do you mean? That Toyota techs are sloppy and routinely misalign belts? Three teeth out on a non-interference engine and the damn thing won't even start so what then? Deliver the car to the customer on a flatdeck? Toyota makes interference engines too. I don't get your point.

Engines can't read - they don't know what the valve cover says. The important thing is having a skilled and professional mechanic do the work, and not someone who has little experience. A tech in a big Toyota shop has all the experience needed to do either a Lexus or a Toyota - if they don't they should sell their tools.