Dose The Engine Oil Filter Attach To A Gasket ?

ComingSoon

hi ..

its seem like my engine oil filter driping on the bottom. its hapend after a recent oil change at the zap lube .. so i was wondering if there is a gasket which came off with the old filter and the zap lube didnt notice and through it away? is there a gasket in there? thanks

The only gasket is the one that comes on every oil filter. How bad is it leaking? Could be they cross-threaded the filter when installing, or the gasket from the old filter stuck to the engine.

I'm with larryp on this one.

As a general rule, I would never go to one of those lube only places. They usually have the least qualified "mechanics" there. Just think, those are the people who couldn't make it as real mechanics, so thay do oil changes...

One of such places screwer up a drain plug on my supra and refused to admit fault. I ended up changing the oil pan to fix the problem.... Never again!

Always go to a real mechanic to chenge oil!

hi ..

its seem like my engine oil filter driping on the bottom. its hapend after a recent oil change at the zap lube .. so i was wondering if there is a gasket which came off with the old filter and the zap lube didnt notice and through it away? is there a gasket in there? thanks

Are you sure it's a leak? It could be the old oil that's still splattered on the engine area around the filter. when you change the filter, a good bit of oil drains out, and it gets on a passing cooling line, and it also hits the upper lip of the pan's attachment point. you're supposed to wipe it down after changing the filter, but those cheap-o jiffy lubes don't always do that. i guess the easiest way to tell is to determine if the oil looks new, or old. if it's clear, then it's new and you have a leak. if it's black and old, then it's probably just the old oil dripping from the surrounding areas.

...and then again, sometimes a leak around the oil filter is due to double gaskets(huh?). The old gasket sticks to the engine block because

the poor !Removed! who changed the oil before forgot to lube the gasket with oil. Then the new filter also has a gasket which interferes with the

old, or the other way around :wacko: In any case, two is not better than one. I have done this myself

in my youthful years. Very doubtful that this is the problem but it is worth a check.