Mpg Getting Worse

I got it on January 2nd- 2007 RX400h 12,000 miles already, thats about 2000 miles a month I drive. That is why I bought the Hybrid.

I was getting 24-26 MPG in the first four months, Combo of Highway and city, all though in L.A. the highway is sometimes more Jammed with traffic than the city.

Now in the last two months I get 20-21 MPG.

What's Up???

I got it on January 2nd- 2007 RX400h 12,000 miles already, thats about 2000 miles a month I drive. That is why I bought the Hybrid.

I was getting 24-26 MPG in the first four months, Combo of Highway and city, all though in L.A. the highway is sometimes more Jammed with traffic than the city.

Now in the last two months I get 20-21 MPG.

What's Up???

Hey rocket, since you didn't say what steps YOU took to investigate, folks will ask the obvious: . . . have you tried the obvious? Tire pressure up to 40lbs? Check your alignment? Dirty air filter? Carrying more junk or passengers in the car? Been driving more aggressive?

Here's a graph showing how averaging constant & slower speeds can really crank up your mpg:

post-32883-1182725250_thumb.jpg

Someday, when I get the time, I'd like to incorporate the same hypermiling techniques on the rx-400h that are used to get over 70mpg in the Prius. I figure by using pulse & glide techniques, it may be possible to get over 600 miles on one tank of gas. Woo hoo!

Back to your dilema: Maybe more cool nite driving in stead of warm / day driving? That can make a dif. My wife only gets 25mpg. From practicing better driving techniques in our Prius, I've been able to get 33mpg in the 400h, over an entire tank of gas. Combining our 2 driving styles, our 400h has been averaging 27mpg over the last 26,000 miles. If not any of the obvious, your dealer can run checks. Even getting a new set of tires will knock down the mpg for the first few weeks, until they wear in, or seat, or what ever you want to call it. Good luck in your investigation!

Well, I have left all maintenance to the Lexus dealer. I assume they would tell me if I need alignment or adjust tire pressure.

In the first few months of driving I guess I drove more MPG friendly, you know, one eye on the nav screen and one eye on the road. But after a while I got sick of worrying about it and just drove and enjoyed the ride.

This is my first Luxury car and 2000 miles a month is a lot of time in my car. When I bought the car I didn't realize that I would have to drive like an old Granny in order to get 25MPG. I didn't really research the whole hybrid thing, but I liked the car and thought if it was good enough for AL Gore, then it was good enough for me. I guess the inconvenient truth is a !Removed!!

I love the car, just disappointed in the current 21 MPG. I guess I should take it in to the dealer and see what they say.

Yes, there's something wrong. I don't think I can make my 400h get only 21 if I ran it like a crazed person. I am pretty aggressive and I get over 26 and since I got the bigger and more aggressive Toyo tires it has dropped to around 25 and I have never been uner 24 on one tank, ever in the 16K miles that I've driven. I don't know why you are only getting 21 but that is not right. That's not much better than the 330 or 350. Let us know what comes of this MPG nail biter. Rey in sunny L.A.