Remote Won't Work With Trunk

stever

Well I was having issues with my remote key (98 LS400) and I thought it was the battery in the key. I replaced the battery and the open and lock buttons work great but the trunk release button still doesn't work. Anyone out there ever have this happen??

Also I lost my second key yesterday :cries: :censored: . It worked fine with the trunk but I now have to replace it. Any recommendations on replacing a remote key??

Thanks in advance for your help, Steve.

Well I was having issues with my remote key (98 LS400) and I thought it was the battery in the key. I replaced the battery and the open and lock buttons work great but the trunk release button still doesn't work. Anyone out there ever have this happen??

Also I lost my second key yesterday :cries: :censored: . It worked fine with the trunk but I now have to replace it. Any recommendations on replacing a remote key??

I had this happen to me once. Below your coin box and above the parking brake release is an object that looks like a button and has a place for you to insert your key. This button has to be depressed/pushed in as I recall for the trunk to release with the remote. Check your owner's manual for instructions.

The lock cylinder by the coin holder only locks the gas and trunk filler from a break in or valet, as most would give a valet key and lock the trunk.

If the key will not let it release does pulling the release pop the trunk?

The lock cylinder by the coin holder only locks the gas and trunk filler from a break in or valet, as most would give a valet key and lock the trunk.

Yes the dashboard release lever works and the key works in the trunk itself- the only fault is that the key will not remotely unlock the trunk.

I had this happen to me once. Below your coin box and above the parking brake release is an object that looks like a button and has a place for you to insert your key. This button has to be depressed/pushed in as I recall for the trunk to release with the remote. Check your owner's manual for instructions.

I don't think I have that on my lexus. Mine's a 98 are you referring to a different year LS400? :blushing:

Okay, this might be silly, but just checking: did you ever have it work with the trunk? If not, do you know that you have to hold the trunk release button on the remote for at least two full seconds before it will pop? Again, just checking, sometimes it's the simple stuff we don't think of. :)

• Like 1

I don't think I have that on my lexus. Mine's a 98 are you referring to a different year LS400?:blushing:

Mine's is a 96

I have a 98 LS400 and yes, if the lockout button near the coin holder is depressed, the inner switch will

NOT release the trunk, however the key fob should continue to work either way.

My key fob release is somewhat fussy and I notice that I have to very deliberately press the trunk

button with my fingernail for many seconds for it to release. So, try another test and make sure you are

depressing the button firmly and for at least 3 to 5 seconds.

If that still doesnt work, then you may be looking at either a bad key fob or receiver(hopefully not the latter).

I would pop open the fob and attempt to clean the button contacts with a solvent like rubbing alcohol on a

Q-tip. The fact that the inner switch release opens the trunk clears the trunk solenoid mechanism as a suspect.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm having the same problem on my 2000 ES 300...key releases trunk, dash button does not. Have you or anyone else found a resolution? I thought it might be a fuse but not sure which one to check. Ideas would be appreciated.

Yes. yes, yes! Thank you landar! :D

I have had the same problem with my -95 LS. Remote would not open the trunk lid.

The (swedish) owners manual does not mention the 3-5 s delay, and the local Toyota dealer had no clue.

They could however see that the remote was sending. Even the Lexus dealer had no help for me, unless I brought the car there...

Strange, but the LS is really rare in Sweden - perhaps they did not know? I have even posted on this board, but at that time I got no solution.

Now I just checked, and it works after 3 seconds! Thanks again!

/Alexander from Sweden

• 1 month later...

"The Mystery of the Sudden Trunk Release Malfunction."

wow! you guys are great!

my trunk release stopped working this morning, after picking up the car from the mechanic (differnent issue)...and i was bummed.

but i scoured this website for answers and many of you pointed out the trunk lock mechanism in the glove compartment.

and....it worked!

i cant thank you enough for your expertise and experience in helping a fellow lexus owner solve "The Mystery of the Sudden Trunk Release Malfunction." I was so sure i'd need to call Scooby Doo and his Mystery Machine

or worse,

a certified lexus dealer....and his meddling kids.

i am starting life over again after a few mistakes and my 94 ES300 (274K, bought 40 days ago for $2900) is an encouraging milestone for me...so when anything goes wrong....it makes for a bad day.

i scoured this website for answers and i found them.

thanks again to all of you.

lexus rocks!

YOU rock!!!

-Pstan (the P is silent)

• 7 years later...

Okay, this might be silly, but just checking: did you ever have it work with the trunk? If not, do you know that you have to hold the trunk release button on the remote for at least two full seconds before it will pop? Again, just checking, sometimes it's the simple stuff we don't think of. smile.gif

I was wondering why after finally getting the programming to take on the lock/unlock buttons the trunk button still wasn't working. This was it!