Repainted When To Wax?

Came back from my trip to AZ , had to have the front hood repainted , and the front bumper

how long to wait to do a wax on the new paint ?

thanks

I could be old school but I would wait like 30 days. Maybe the new paints are quicker to cure.

Came back from my trip to AZ , had to have the front hood repainted , and the front bumper

how long to wait to do a wax on the new paint ?

thanks

I could be old school but I would wait like 30 days. Maybe the new paints are quicker to cure.

Not old school at all.. In general, the longer, the better. Here's a link to the most authoritive post I've seen on this topic: http://autopia.org/forum/647893-post19.html

Looks like the professionals at the major paint manufacturers have a completely different view when it comes to paint cure times before waxing.

1- AKZO NOBEL INC [ 1-800-618-1010 ]

Sikkens Car Refinishes standard is to wait 30 days after repainting before you can apply wax or silicone. Their standard of waiting 30 days includes the AKZO NOBEL Sikkens, Lesonal and Utech automotive paint lines.

2- Sherwin-Williams. drbunnell@sherwin.com

Sherwin-Williams standard is to wait 90 days after repainting before you can apply wax or silicone.

Their standard of waiting 90 days includes all of their automotive paint lines.

3- Dupont Corp., Lionville, PA.

Dupont standard is to wait 90 days if the vehicle is out in the elements and to wait 120 days if it is kept in a garage most of the time. Dupont standard of waiting 90 to 120 days includes all of their automotive paint lines.

4- BASF automotive paints. email: lanet@basf-corp.com

BASF standard is to wait four to six months before waxing.

Below is a copy of a email I recieved from Mr. Tony Lane, Supervisor of the Technical Service Lab at BASF automotive paints.

---------------------------------------------------

Frank,

You don't say but I'm going to assume that you have had your car painted with a two component urethane system. These systems offer a high level of protection and a great deal of shine. While they are well cured by the time the shop calls you to pick up your car, in fact, it will take several months for the curing process to be complete. (Remember that your hearing this from a lab guy and we only deal in the real world when we absolutely have to.) I would give four to six months before waxing. If you're like me, that won't be an easy task to wait that long.

I hope that this is of some help to you.

Tony Lane

Supervisor of the Technical Service Lab BASF

Ask your body shop. They'll be able to tell you whether or not their paint is cured yet. My current body shop told me i could wax it right away (actually they waxed my whole car before i got it back). The body shop i had before that said the traditional 30 days.

You can also use a pure polish on the paint if you're concerned about protection, that'll help a little bit and won't interfere with the offgassing/curing process.