What Kind Of Stock Radio?

The Kid

i want to know, on my 93 LS, i have one with the tape deck with out any CD changer,

the tape deck for some reason switches back to the radio when I insert a tape or try to play it.

I dont even know what that problem is.

now, what i want to do is get another deck. I have a few questions.

i have a pioneer deck, is it possible to put a nakamichi deck in it?

if not, could I possibly install another pioneer deck with cd changer?

is it difficult to install a cd changer? or would I have to just get an aftermarket deck ( which i do not want to do because it disrupts the flow of the dash)

thanks

i want to know, on my 93 LS, i have one with the tape deck with out any CD changer,

the tape deck for some reason switches back to the radio when I insert a tape or try to play it.

is it difficult to install a cd changer? or would I have to just get an aftermarket deck ( which i do not want to do because it disrupts the flow of the dash)

thanks

The Kid, I might have a pioneer headunit with a cd button and cd changer for your ls. Let me look into it and I will get back with you.

Welcome to the club :cheers:

thanks a lot man. but let me ask you, how would it be possible to install a cd changer?

the car originally had no cd changer just tape.

does it take a lot of work to install a cd changer?

Actually it is a pretty straight forward install. I'll get all the details for you soon. Your ls might even have the wiring harness already installed. Let me look into it and I will get back with you.

The wiring to control the CD player would need to be run from your head unit into the trunk of the car. It needs to be installed; you won't have it if your car didn't originally have a CD player. Bit complicated...

Not to mention the fact that your trunk lining will be wrong and you will also need the mounting brackets to mount the cd player properly.

On top of that I am not even sure that you can just swap a Pioneer for a Nakamichi... they have different wiring harnesses. On top of that, they have different amplifiers. See attached.

Personally, I would either send the current head unit you have away for repairs or go with something after market. I just faced a similar decision and decided to repair my current head unit and create a line in (but I have the cd player so it is easier to create a line in). I sent my unit here: http://www.videoservicestop.com. Got it back 3 days later and in addition to fixing what was wrong, I had them replace all of the little lights that create the back lighting. I am extremely pleased.

Good luck.

be_291.pdf

The reason your tape switches immediately back to radio is because your two drive belts are worn out. These belts only last 10-12 years. I encountered similiar problem 2 years ago...

90-92 Nakamichi headunits will fit 90-94 LS400 with Pioneer headunit. But, 93-94 Nakamichi headunit will NOT fit any LS400s. Getting a Nakamichi is the way to go. Nakamichi is known for manufacturing top quality cassette decks and should last for 2 decades or more. Either member dcfish or pioneersbuy should help you out.

thanks

Does your headunit have the cd button ?

no, no cd button. just AM, FM 1, FM 2, TAPE

and what you are saying about the belts being worn out, i understand.

All i wanted to do is play some CD's through the tape deck. but thats now out the window, plain old radio stations all day now i guess.

i remember i tried it one time and the tape played for a good minute then i pressed FF

then it stopped and switched back to radio. I was so upset.

i think I may just say forget it with buying a new deck. I might just go purchase an after market changer.