Trailer Hitch For Ls 430?

NausetDog

Have searched every where on the internet for a trailer hitch for my 2002 LS 430. Only need a Class I hitch to tow a 13 ' Boston Whaler. Yeah I know, I shouldn't be towing my boat w/ my Lexus, but it's all I have! Best one I've found so far doesn't require any drilling and is made specifically for my car:

http://www.trailerhitches.com/trailer-hitc...&key=CTM197

Thing I hate is having to see the thing all 7-8 months out of the year. Has anyone installed a hitch on thier LS430? Is there one out there that would be mostly hidden except for the toungue?

Thanks,

NausetDog

ellismr@charter.net

There are very few choices in trailer hitches for the LS430. All the ones I have seen from U.S. companies have been of the same design and similar to the hitch I have on my 2000 LS400.

Unlike the 90-94 LS400 where most hitches were almost completely hidden behind the rear bumper and the black plastic trim attached below the rear bumper, the design of the 95-up LS400 and LS430 means that the hitch can be more easily seen.

The hitches available in the U.K. are of a very different design and less visible when the draw bar is removed but they are not compatible with U.S. trailer tongues.

It is really not a big deal to see the hitch -- the hitch is black and hardly noticable. I suppose you could remove it for part of the year since the hitch is held in place by the six muffler bracket bolts. It is not all that difficult to remove but I'll bet you won't want to after you see how it looks on your LS430.

As you can see in the photo on the trailerhitch.com webpage, the drawbar is removable. The portion of the hitch that the drawbar slides into does not extend rearward beyond the lower lip of the bumper cover.

That's pretty much your only choice. Yeah, you will see it a little but do you want to be able to tow your boat or not? I say go for it and don't worry. Also, towing with an LS is just fine as long as you don't overdo it, a small boat will be fine. Your owners manual should have several pages on towing. I just installed a hitch on my '91 and love being able to tow my 4x8' utility trailer.