Nav And Dvd Not Needed

I am going to special order the 08 RX 400H

as soon as the factory is accepting such orders. My dealership tells me I will have to special order because all the vehicles come in

with the Nav system and DVD. I don't need either because I have my own portable Garmins GPS and noone ever sits in my back seat. Are there any reasons I should accept the NAV and DVD if I don't want them?

Do you have any details on changes for the '08 400h? I'm kinda in the same boat as you - waiting to get an '08 but WOULD want the NAV (not rear DVD entertainment.)

PS From your name, I have to assume you are either an Allman Bros. or Steve Martin fan. Which is it?

as soon as the factory is accepting such orders. My dealership tells me I will have to special order because all the vehicles come in

with the Nav system and DVD. I don't need either because I have my own portable Garmins GPS and noone ever sits in my back seat. Are there any reasons I should accept the NAV and DVD if I don't want them?

resale ...at least for the NAV

if you don't need a back seat, why do you want an RX? There are many other hybrid options. Just wondering.

Do you have any details on changes for the '08 400h? I'm kinda in the same boat as you - waiting to get an '08 but WOULD want the NAV (not rear DVD entertainment.)

PS From your name, I have to assume you are either an Allman Bros. or Steve Martin fan. Which is it?

As far as I know any changes for 08 will be

limited because the 09 will intro a new generation, but from what I hear the hybrids

will only be available in the 7 seat configuration. To answer your question about "ramblinman" I am a big Hank Williams, Sr. fan. He recorded a song by that

name under the pseudonym Luke the Drifter.

resale ...at least for the NAV

if you don't need a back seat, why do you want an RX? There are many other hybrid options. Just wondering.

I need a back seat, but when we take a long

trip my wife and I will be the only ones in the

vehicle. No kids in the back to entertain. Besides I also have a portable DVD. Regarding resale I don't care about that because I trade as soon as the factory warranty runs out anyway.

I happen to have a very low opinion of vehicle entertainment systems. My cousin proudly told me about a portable DVD player he bought to entertain his son on a long trip. I thought to myself how sad it was to deprive the kid of the experience of seeings all the beautiful sights along the way and missing out on all the things that could be learned from looking out the window. Some of my fondest memories are all the things I saw on family vacation trips. It is a long time since I was a child but I still remember the things I saw and learned as a child by looking out the car window on long trips.

To answer your question, I have the NAV in my car but hate it because I can't use it to find lodging and restaurants that I would like to stop at or make reservations to stay at when the car is moving. I had an old Garmin 2610 but replaced it with a Garmin 7500. The Garmin is far better than the Lexus NAV but I still like the Lexus NAV because it includes a rear camera, calender, and numerous other features that you get as part of the NAV package.

By the way one of the things that make the Garmin better than the Lexus is the traffic warning system. I just drove from NY to SC to TX and back to SC and NY. There were numerious times that the Garmin warned me of traffic delays, and when I was almost home on Long Island it warned me the expressway was closed for construction. Not only does the Garmin warn you of delays, you can also set it to automatically re-route you around a traffic tie up.. The Lexus system is not a good system but ask the salesman to show you the other features that are included with the NAV. If you like the other features get it. My dealer gave me a loaner car without the NAV when my car was in for an oil change and it felt as if the car was missing something without the cool looking NAV screen.

Bob Bass- I was told by one dealer in my area

(Tampa) that the 08 would not be in until November or December and they were not

accepting orders special or otherwise at this time. Today I spoke with a competing dealer

and they said the hybrid would arrive in August and they were taking orders. They told me because they are an "Lexus Elite" dealer they got first divs on cars. If you have an elite dealer in your area you might want to check them out. By the way I am using the AAA car buying service which assures me no

more than 5% over invoice and KBB value on

my trade in.

as silver corvette mentioned, the nav screen will give you the back up camera, a much better hybrid system display, and the hands free bluetooth phone system. (in washington next year it will only be legal to use a hands free device for cell conversations while driving) Personally i find the nav system useful and easy to use, especially in unfamiliar territory. It is a good looking display that has been upgraded from the version we have in the 2006 vehicles.

The Garmin 7500 is a much better GPS system, but not pnly do you get the bluetooth phone there is also an appointment schedule calender, service reminder for oil, tires, ect. As much as I hate the Lexus NAV all the other stuff that come with it make it worth while