Warranty On 1997

Esmark

Hi everybody! I just bought a 1997 ES 300, my first Lexus. :D

The car has 104,500 miles on it. The dealer I bought it from wanted to sell me an extended warranty of 24,000 miles/2 years (whichever comes first) for $1600. The dealer said the Lexus engines were fine but that it was all the onboard computers that really required a warranty of this nature. He said that if just one computer goes down, the warranty can end up paying for itself right there.

I tentatively agreed to purchase the extended warranty, but I can cancel it within 30 days for full refund or cancel any time up through the two year period and get a prorated amount back.

Questions:

1. Should I get the extended warranty or not?

2. How often do 1997 ES 300 onboard computers go down and what do they cost to replace?

I'm thrilled to have a Lexus! This looks like a great club. :)

hi welcome to the club! :D with that kind of mileage, its very wise to get a warranty! its not only on board computers to worry about, there's engine mount, struts, springs, transmission... im not sure about your question about the onboard computer but there are many members in LOC willing to help you out. anyways, welcome again and enjoy your lexus! :lol:

i ALLWAYS recomend a warrentee!you cant go wrong with it because you never know when somethings going to break and then you will be dishing money out of your pocket without the warentee.so my answer is yes get the warentee. ;)

Looks like you're good until 128,000.

My 1997 is at 145,000 and still no trouble. I bought struts recently for around $1,000 installed, but that's it. I would not be surprised if they tried to claim that struts were "wear and tear."

first question do you need a warrenty for a 97

no, these cars have very littel problems if any

do the computers go down

no, i have never heard of any lexus neednig to change an ecu yet

you did not mention is it a lexus dealer you got the car from

with that kind of mileage i am guessing it definatly is not a lpov

is there any warrenty on the car if you do not take it

and who services the car for a repair if needed

also what stupid clauses are int eh contract as in where and when for oil changes and other disclaimers that null and void the contract

for 1600 from some company i wouldn't spend it

1600 with lexus then maybe but it is not really needed

first question do you need a warranty for a 97

no, these cars have very little problems if any

That's good to hear. :)

do the computers go down

no, i have never heard of any lexus needing to change an ecu yet

Really? That's sort of distressing since the dealership business manager who sold me the extended warranty said she used to work at a Lexus dealership and they saw lots of ecu warranty repairs. Do you think she was blowing smoke just trying to sell me something I didn't need? <_<

you did not mention is it a lexus dealer you got the car from

with that kind of mileage i am guessing it definitely is not a lpov

Nope. I bought it from an Acura dealer. It was a trade-in. :whistles:

is there any warranty on the car if you do not take it

and who services the car for a repair if needed

The warranty is a 60/40 1 month/1000 miles without the extended warranty. In other words, in the first 1 month or 1000 miles the dealer pays 60 percent of repairs and I pay 40 percent. Repairs under this warranty happen at the Acura dealership unless they can't do the work. Repairs under the extended warranty can happen at any ASE certified mechanic of my choice.

also what stupid clauses are in the contract as in where and when for oil changes and other disclaimers that null and void the contract. also what stupid clauses are in the contract as in where and when for oil changes and other disclaimers that null and void the contract

"This Contract does not cover any failure from not maintaining the manufacturer's specified levels or capacity of fluids, lubricants, refrigerants or coolants." :blink:

for 1600 from some company i wouldn't spend it

1600 with lexus then maybe but it is not really needed

OK. Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate it! :)

I called two Lexus-certified master mechanics this morning. Neither one had heard of any onboard computer problems with the 1997 ES 300. Both said that as long as the car has been regularly serviced and maintained, there's no reason to pay $1600 for an extended warranty.

I will be cancelling the extended warranty and saving the $1600 bucks (maybe for mods, who knows?).

Thanks to everyone for their responses and help!