Overkill?

klopez3709

Hi, all! I will be picking up a new 2007 GX day after tomorrow. I am really excited, but am a little concerned that I made the correct decision. I am a 54-year old woman - 5 foot 4 (at the most) and test drove both the RX 350 and the GX. My 86-year-old dad came with me to make the deal (he still has the skills) and talked me into getting the GX, even though I thought the RX would have been more for me.

He thought the GX was a better car/truck than the RX - more trade-in value and it had the V-8 versus the V-6. I just don't know if this is too much car / truck for me, and if I'll regret it.

I live in Florida - no need for 4-wheel drive; just use the car for round-trip highway driving to work (40 miles total) and sometimes weekend driving (around town). My kids are in their 20s - so no little ones to cart around. And I am worried it will be too big.

However, the new car is beautiful - Ash Blue Mica - Levinson sound system, Nav system, dark interior. And, hey - its a Lexus.

FYI: I'm trading in a 2001 Pathfinder with 65K miles.

Opinions anyone?

Too late now. Just enjoy your new car and dish the second thoughts. They will only lead to dissatisfaction.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll love it...but reading the forum about "clunks" "drones", etc - hope I get a good one without the problems.

Does anyone know if many women drive the GX - and if they do - are they happy with it?

Thanks again - and I'll let you know how everything turns out tomorrow.

Hi! I am sure you will like it. I also have the same color as the one you've purchased.

It is nice! My wife drives it everyday and she finds it so easy to drive around. Ceiling

hight is much more roomy than RX. Eye point is nice and high. Except a few things

such as clunk and loud noise of engine fan(only in the summer time with A/C on), this

vehicle is nicer than any other makers' SUV in my opinion. Enjoy your driving GX!

Hi! I am sure you will like it. I also have the same color as the one you've purchased.

It is nice! My wife drives it everyday and she finds it so easy to drive around. Ceiling

hight is much more roomy than RX. Eye point is nice and high. Except a few things

such as clunk and loud noise of engine fan(only in the summer time with A/C on), this

vehicle is nicer than any other makers' SUV in my opinion. Enjoy your driving GX!

Thank you for replying! As far as the AC goes - well, I live in Fla - so I'll have to live with the engine fan noise. I am really hoping / praying for no clunk. When I pick up tomorrow - I'm going to ask about the "clunk", and anything else pesky I find in these forums.

By the way, I really didn't get a chance to check out the color (we agreed over the phone on the color - black is too hot for Florida) - is it close to a silver or like a powder blue.

Do you get many comments and/or compliments when driving this baby? I wish it was tomorrow already! :)

Thank you for replying! As far as the AC goes - well, I live in Fla - so I'll have to live with the engine fan noise. I am really hoping / praying for no clunk. When I pick up tomorrow - I'm going to ask about the "clunk", and anything else pesky I find in these forums.

By the way, I really didn't get a chance to check out the color (we agreed over the phone on the color - black is too hot for Florida) - is it close to a silver or like a powder blue.

Do you get many comments and/or compliments when driving this baby? I wish it was tomorrow already! :)

Congrats on our new Lexus , you going to love the GX470 , as for the clunk don't let it discourage your thoughts of the Lexus , I've only heard the sound once in my GX , and I'm sitting on the repair just not sure I want to have it repaired , there are mixed reviews on the repair , some good and bad ,

Lady driver here, I love to drive my GX your Dad gave you the right choice ! I drove my GX to Az & back from Wisconsin , it was a great drive , I owned the RX , the GX is much better , more room , open feeling , the V8 engine beats the RX-V-6 engine , have fun & enjoy driving your New GX !!

Don't worry about clunk. My understanding is that it is fixed with 2007 model. Even if not, there is already TSB issued and your Lexus dearler will fix it for you. I have 2005 GX and very, very minimum clunk effect. Neverthe less, I changed the drive shaft with that TSB and it is fixed now. You will enjoy driving GX........ more safer than RX too........

Thank you to all for the great advice. I got my car yesterday - and I love it! Haven't heard any clunks and as far as I'm concerned - I'm not going to worry about it unless it happens, and then I'll get the fix. I'm going to try to upload a picture of the new baby. Thank you again, and I'll be using this site for great reference.

post-46410-1182726870_thumb.jpg

post-46410-1182727536_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the GX!

Don't sweat about the clunk, sulfur smell, vibration, KDSS leaning problems, NAV system breaking, etc... If they occur, you have 4yrs/50k miles to have them fixed. More than likely, since you arent a guinea pig batch, you will have less chances of running into any problems. Remember, it may be a Lexus but it's still not perfect, that's why it's the "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection " " Passionate Pursuit of Perfection" " Pursuit of Perfection"

And one more thing, there arent too many women who post in the forums, so Idk what are the inputs of other women who drive the GX. ;)

Congrats on the GX!

Don't sweat about the clunk, sulfur smell, vibration, KDSS leaning problems, NAV system breaking, etc... If they occur, you have 4yrs/50k miles to have them fixed. More than likely, since you arent a guinea pig batch, you will have less chances of running into any problems. Remember, it may be a Lexus but it's still not perfect, that's why it's the "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection " " Passionate Pursuit of Perfection" " Pursuit of Perfection"

And one more thing, there arent too many women who post in the forums, so Idk what are the inputs of other women who drive the GX. ;)

Thank you for the kind words. About the issues you mentioned - I will be aware but not worry. I don't think I have KDSS (sounds like a disease :) ) and the nav - well, if I could learn it that would be the first step. I'm happy to be one of the few women posting and hope to hear from a few more.

One more thing - any hints to put in a picture in the forums - mine came out kinda weird. Thanks again!

One more thing - any hints to put in a picture in the forums - mine came out kinda weird. Thanks again!

You mean "mug shots" of your GX? Just park it in an open parking lot and take some shots of it... Like what I did with my 4Runner friend...

DSC01536.jpg

DSC01560.jpg

You mean "mug shots" of your GX? Just park it in an open parking lot and take some shots of it... Like what I did with my 4Runner friend...

DSC01536.jpg

DSC01560.jpg

Actually what I meant was inserting the photo in the e-mail, but I guess I did it right. Take care and I'll see if I can get some more "mug shots".

I think you used the upload attachment feature....

Try getting the URL of the image, then use the "Image URL" (second to the left, right under "FONT" on top") and insert the URL of the image and the system will automatically enter the appropriate HTML stuffs that will alow the picture to appear as big as mine lol.

Great color choice, I have the same color, ash blue. If you look at the dimension between the GX and the RX, its really not that much difference. I believe the they are the same width and the GX is a few inches longer, the GX just looks big because its so tall. As you will find out, the GX does not drive big at all.

Great color choice, I have the same color, ash blue. If you look at the dimension between the GX and the RX, its really not that much difference. I believe the they are the same width and the GX is a few inches longer, the GX just looks big because its so tall. As you will find out, the GX does not drive big at all.

I think the color is really nice and I'm noticing a few cars of that color on the road - not just Lexus. I'm getting use to the GX - little by little and referencing the owners manual all the time. You and others are right - it does not drive like a truck. I'm happy! :)

I think you used the upload attachment feature....

Try getting the URL of the image, then use the "Image URL" (second to the left, right under "FONT" on top") and insert the URL of the image and the system will automatically enter the appropriate HTML stuffs that will alow the picture to appear as big as mine lol.

Thanks for the tip - somehow I guess I'll figure it out - will have to take some mug shots first, I guess! :)

Thanks for the tip - somehow I guess I'll figure it out - will have to take some mug shots first, I guess! :)

No problem! I'm pretty sure you'll have fun taking pictures of your new "baby". ;) ;)

• 2 months later...

I think the color is really nice and I'm noticing a few cars of that color on the road - not just Lexus. I'm getting use to the GX - little by little and referencing the owners manual all the time. You and others are right - it does not drive like a truck. I'm happy! :)

I'm a woman, 57 and 5'4". I've owned Suburbans, Tahoes, Sequoia's, an LX470 (my favorite) and now a 2007 GX 470.

Most of the GX's around my area are driven by women. More men drive the LX 470, the BMW, Range Rover or 4 Runners. I think of the GX as a woman's car. But I guess it's because I've driven the big SUV's for so long.

I hope you're enjoying yours now that you've had it for awhile.

Yeah I am starting to see that around here too. As the RX become way too common, a lot of females are starting to buy the GX.

Up until June when I lived in upstate New York, 90% of the time, men were driving the GX. Now out here in California along the central coast, the same holds true.