Suspension Make Noise

Hello everyone please help! Brand new Lexus owner. Owner of Audi S4 and M3 . Never owned Japanese car before and this is my first Lexus. Not trying to compare just want an opinion how to fix the problems thanks. I bought a brand new 2007 IS 250 about 3 months ago for my wife. We like the car very much except a few annoying problems. Engine valve tapping very loud which because of the VVT-I according to dealer technician. The suspension makes noise over bumpy road sound like a loose washer or metal contact to metal. That is small bump, but if I go hard on a big bump I will hear like a big knock on all four wheel. Took it to the dealer twice re-tight every bolts, nuts, lubricate everything still not fix the problems <_< . One of the technician say that's because of the hand brakes need adjustment in order to fix the problem that is BS. I got so freaking mad so I took the car home remove every dang bolt, nuts, struts, springs, everything and put it all back myself still couldn't find out what make that noise. I test drive another Lexus and it do the same thing. Does anyone in here experience something like that and got it fix or know how to fix please help. Beside those problems the car handling and look nice. Again, thank you for you all time.

The engine tapping noise is the high pressure fuel pump for the direct injectors. All the IS350's do that.

As for the suspension if you want to check it yourself put the car up on jack stands. Then one by one take your hydraulic jack and move each wheel up and down through its full travel. You may find that one of them is making the noise. When you find that one, you are there close enough to possibly pinpoint the location of the noise, and then fix it.

I have the same problems with my IS. A friend of mine was sitting next to me one day and as we drove on Westheimer/Houston, he said this is unacceptable noise from a luxury car!

Talked to the dealer about BUT he said"your expectations from this car is too high." he wants me to thiink that this is the way this car should be.

Did you also notice that the headlights don't shed long enough? Same dealer said nothing wrong with the lights(we calibrated them, etc.) then another time he admitted that when he drove a loaner IS in the night found the same problem with lights!) Yet no solution. I am not sure if we've incompetent dealers or what?

Please keep us posted as you try to mitigate/investigate this rattling/noise problem.

I was about to post this AM about the same problem. New lexus noticed at about 3000 miles a clicky clack in the rear suspension when I go over bumps. Can't hear it with the windows closed. Sounds like something loose in the rear suspension. Going to Lexus tomorrow AM

Talked to the dealer about BUT he said"your expectations from this car is too high."

I'm sure Lexus HQ would just love to hear that one of their dealers is actually saying that. I would be SURE to tell them that when the dealer (or whoever else) follows up with the customer service survey.

But back to the problem, see if you can replicate it by pushing down on different parts of the car (door sills, trunk, engine bay, etc). Any place that isn't plastic or sheet metal that could be damaged. This way you can show the dealer without too much trouble. My thought is that if you're able to replicate it easily for the technician (say, as you pull up), then you'll have a better chance of them trying to fix it. It always sucks trying to get a problem to repeat itself in front of an audience...

Also, try to note if the problem is only when the car starts moving after sitting for a while, or after things have been moving for a while, or even all the time.

Good luck.

Talked to the dealer about BUT he said"your expectations from this car is too high."

I'm sure Lexus HQ would just love to hear that one of their dealers is actually saying that. I would be SURE to tell them that when the dealer (or whoever else) follows up with the customer service survey.

But back to the problem, see if you can replicate it by pushing down on different parts of the car (door sills, trunk, engine bay, etc). Any place that isn't plastic or sheet metal that could be damaged. This way you can show the dealer without too much trouble. My thought is that if you're able to replicate it easily for the technician (say, as you pull up), then you'll have a better chance of them trying to fix it. It always sucks trying to get a problem to repeat itself in front of an audience...

Also, try to note if the problem is only when the car starts moving after sitting for a while, or after things have been moving for a while, or even all the time.

Good luck.

I have an area with speed bumps at the supermarket where it does it - so I am going to drive them over there and hopefully it will happen. I can't seem to replicate by pushing down on the car because the suspension is so "tight" I can bearly push down at all.

But how can I change it?

The srvice tech at my dealership said if I've to change the settings it'd shine much stronger and irritates other drivers and lead into accidents.

Maybe the tech just doesn't want to take the time to do it. It seems many of the IS cars come with the headlights aimed too low. If you follow the measuring and aiming instructions in the attached PDF, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Headlight_aim.pdf

As for supension noise, you can drive around over bumps and stuff all day long, and even if you reproduce the noise, it's almost impossible to pinpoint the actual location. You need to get the car up on jacks or a hoist and work the supension parts at each wheel to really find it. Most likely the dealer isn't going to go to that much trouble.

As for supension noise, you can drive around over bumps and stuff all day long, and even if you reproduce the noise, it's almost impossible to pinpoint the actual location. You need to get the car up on jacks or a hoist and work the supension parts at each wheel to really find it. Most likely the dealer isn't going to go to that much trouble.

It might be something special with the IS---think of how many complained of this very problem- so I think Lexus should investigate this problem and tell us what its engineers found.

But how can I change it?

The srvice tech at my dealership said if I've to change the settings it'd shine much stronger and irritates other drivers and lead into accidents.

Maybe the tech just doesn't want to take the time to do it. It seems many of the IS cars come with the headlights aimed too low. If you follow the measuring and aiming instructions in the attached PDF, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you a lot.

Sure thing man.

I had my dealer line mine up and it still didn't suit me. So I asked them to show me how. They gave me that set of instructions. I have mine just a little higher than the line on the directions, but nobody flashes me so I think it's ok.

Well ain't that just grand... Sure.. I just happen to have the time and jacks and hoist and other automotive tools laying around my garage to be able to do that myself.

Well ain't that just grand... Sure.. I just happen to have the time and jacks and hoist and other automotive tools laying around my garage to be able to do that myself.

I'm just trying to give you the options. No need for a smarty pants reply. :chairshot:

Depends on how many trips you want to make to the dealership, or how many times you want to drive around trying to figure it out. Mainly it depends on how much it bothers you and how badly you want to figure it out. That's not going to happen sitting in a rocking chair.

I heard the supension noise too. I just got my new IS 250 AWD silver last weekend. Everything went great, except the supension noise when I passed the bumps. and it seems come from left side of the car. Is this normal to all the cars or just lexus?

Thank you

barkat,

you're in montreal so roads there are far better than here in houston so you don't know how much irritating to have noise from a brand new luxury vehichle. When i drive my IS on a well paved road i hear nothing but when i drive it on these bumpy roads I feel the car got no bolts or nuts at all.

I've never been to Montreal, but I've driven I75 from Chattanooga to Northern Ohio and back a couple of times, I drive on county mountain roads weekly, and my car has no rattles. I'm only here trying to help you guys find the problems with your cars. You all can take my advice or not, but you'll just have to do what it takes to find and fix the problems, whether it be from the dealer, a DIY, or a helpful friend.

When I got my IS300 back in 03, I found out it had a serious suspension noise. It was a used car with 13,000 miles. Lexus went over the suspension and said they tighened up parts in the front suspension. The car still had the noise so I started checking things out via the method I mentioned earlier. Within 30 minutes I had pinpointed the location of the noise, found it to be a loose sway bar mounting bracket, tightened that up, and drove the car rattle free for 2 more years until I purchased the IS350. Sometimes you just have to do it yourself.

I've never been to Montreal, but I've driven I75 from Chattanooga to Northern Ohio and back a couple of times, I drive on county mountain roads weekly, and my car has no rattles. I'm only here trying to help you guys find the problems with your cars. You all can take my advice or not, but you'll just have to do what it takes to find and fix the problems, whether it be from the dealer, a DIY, or a helpful friend.

When I got my IS300 back in 03, I found out it had a serious suspension noise. It was a used car with 13,000 miles. Lexus went over the suspension and said they tighened up parts in the front suspension. The car still had the noise so I started checking things out via the method I mentioned earlier. Within 30 minutes I had pinpointed the location of the noise, found it to be a loose sway bar mounting bracket, tightened that up, and drove the car rattle free for 2 more years until I purchased the IS350. Sometimes you just have to do it yourself.

FAIR ENOUGH ---THANKS FOR THE INPUT

I thought you mentioned Montreal in one of your prev. posts, I could be wrong.

Don't get that upset, your contribution to this forum is commendable .

I heard the supension noise too. I just got my new IS 250 AWD silver last weekend. Everything went great, except the supension noise when I passed the bumps. and it seems come from left side of the car. Is this normal to all the cars or just lexus?

Thank you

That's the sweet spot! That is exactly the same spot as mine. Took it to Lexus I had the tech hanging out the rear window. Said the parking brake was out of adjustment and added some grease...let's see what happens. They said they had never seen it before then they tested another loaner and found another one the same. They also send a report to Lexus.. perhaps enough complaints will get it noticed... as they relentlessly pursue perfection....

Thank you

That's the sweet spot! That is exactly the same spot as mine. Took it to Lexus I had the tech hanging out the rear window. Said the parking brake was out of adjustment and added some grease...let's see what happens. They said they had never seen it before then they tested another loaner and found another one the same. They also send a report to Lexus.. perhaps enough complaints will get it noticed... as they relentlessly pursue perfection....

I am taking it to Lexus this Friday. I 'll see what they can do.

thanks everyone.

Thank you

I am taking it to Lexus this Friday. I 'll see what they can do.

thanks everyone.

THIS IS A LETTER I SENT TO LEXUS THAT SUMMARIES PROBLEM< TEMP FIX AND REQUEST FOR A TSB:

To Whom it May Concern,

I am writing you to inform you of a potential design flaw in your 2007 IS 250 AWD. I purchased my car seven weeks ago, logged close to 5,000 miles, and have been experiencing some noise from the left rear-end; a” clickety-clack” when traveling at low speeds (15 mph) over bumpy roads or speed bumps. I took my car in to be serviced and the problem appears to be in the design left rear parking brake assembly. Although the problem appears to have been temporarily remedied with an adjustment of the parking brake and the addition of some grease – I was told that the noise is likely to re-appear. In fact, the Service Department then test drove several other new IS 250 AWD cars and found a similar rattle. I have also noticed this issue showing up as complaints from new owners on the “lexusclubforum.com” boards listed under “suspension noise”. Although I can not speak to the technical intricacies of the problem, I was told that LEXUS of Northborough did file a report with the Corporate Service Department. I would encourage the appropriate department at the corporate level contact that dealer to discuss the problem further and have your designers take a look at the problem, find a solution and issue a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) to permanently rectify the problem.

I am an Architect and Owner of a growing Architectural Firm in Boston. I understand that design is an” inexact science”. In fact, as an architect, all of my projects are “prototype designs”; each project distinctly different from the next. I understand that technical issues will arise and need to be corrected.

I have purchased three cars over the last 16 months, the latest being the Lexus. I drive over 30,000 miles a year and expect to replace the Lexus (my primary vehicle) every 24 to 30 months. I purchased the LEXUS for several reasons including: LEXUS commitment to quality and brand reputation, car design and the wonderful sales staff at LEXUS of Northborough. In fact I would like to commend your Sales and Service Departments at that location, in particular, Jaime Chomo, Richard Kostigen, Danny Blinn and Dave - the service technician on my vehicle on my last visit. The responsiveness of this group is truly exceptional – they are courteous, responsive, professional and real problem solvers; every quality I would hope for in an employee of my company.

For me spending hours a day in the car – cabin comfort and quietness are absolutely paramount. I had and still have high expectations from LEXUS. LEXUS has set the bar high in your “pursuit of perfection” campaign. For me technical design problems such as the one above, that cause “creeks and noises” diminish my enjoyment of the vehicle and erodes the integrity of your prestigious brand. However, how LEXUS handles permanently rectifying the problem is the true litmus test of your “motto”. I am going to be purchasing many, many vehicles over the coming years I am hopeful that you will find a speedy resolution to this problem and others that might arise in the future and make me a LEXUS buyer for life.

Clay1:

Thanks for taking the time to write this letter. However, I think you need not to relate this problem to 07 models only, I've 06' IS250 and have this problem.

Anyway, if they happen to respond to you please let's know. Thanks.

Since I only knew of the 07 problem that is all I could address. I will tell you this... If this is going to get fixed like the problem with the vibration in the rear view mirror with the sunroof open, or the TSB for the brake dust problem - we need to have many, many complains and letters written. Feel free to grab part of my letter and send you own to LEXUS Corporate and your local people. I am not trying to be negative on this with them, in fact I go out of my way to praise. They are ...in the pursuit of perfection... so they need to step up - they made that line up... not me - this ain't HONDA. They really are eroding the "Brand" in my mind and may effect another purchase in the near future. For me repeat business is 75% of my work...I would think repeat customers for LEXUS would be similar. Not to mention this is an entry level sedan... ten years from now I may be working my way into the Flagship of the Line.