Excessive Steering Play In 93 Es300

Hi,

Has anyone dealt with this?

I have a 1993 ES300 with only 160k on it and recently, the steering has become rather scarey. It may have been building up over time and I didn't notice it, but it really feels like I'm not getting any steering until late in the turn. I've measured the steering play and while it's a rather subjective measurement, it does seem that it's twice the allowed amount. I'm not sure where to look and the FSM isn't real strong on diagnostics.

- It's plenty easy to steer, so I'm not suspecting the pump.

- When watching the steering shaft as it exits the firewall, there seems to be a good bit of roll back and forth, not sure if it's normal.

- I don't notice any flutter.

- I don't get any shimmy.

Thanks

Steve

LoL that's why i love playing with Toyota's. "only 160,000 miles on it". lmao.

Ah, I'd stay by checking the steering wheel set nut. I forget what years it was, but that generation they let some ES/Windom/Camry's out with loose nuts. Gives the steering wheel alot of play, but doesn't cause vibrations, etc like say a bad tie-rod would.

Beyond that I would go looking at loose tie rods, intermediate shaft, or steering gear. The rack could be shot. Maybe wheel bearings...

But I'd start with making sure the lock nut is secure lol!

Ah, I'd stay by checking the steering wheel set nut. I forget what years it was, but that generation they let some ES/Windom/Camry's out with loose nuts. Gives the steering wheel alot of play, but doesn't cause vibrations, etc like say a bad tie-rod would.

Beyond that I would go looking at loose tie rods, intermediate shaft, or steering gear. The rack could be shot. Maybe wheel bearings...

So great to have guys like you on this forum!

Here more what I found: The gear system with hydraulics and all is sliding back and forth as you turn the wheel. I'm guessing a clamp is loose or a grommet is shot. Thoughts? There are signs this has been happening for quite some time but it's reached a level that needs serious attention finally...

Steve

Here more what I found: The gear system with hydraulics and all is sliding back and forth as you turn the wheel. I'm guessing a clamp is loose or a grommet is shot. Thoughts? There are signs this has been happening for quite some time but it's reached a level that needs serious attention finally...

Steve

Had a buddy over tonight and we both decided that it needs a new rack. :cries: Unless I can get a bushing for the gear housing... The good news is that racks aren't that expensive. Any reason to buy brand new vs. reman? Dare I admit it?

S

Well I don't know. A rack is something I probably wouldn't do reman because they have a bad reputation on other vehicles. (along with reman powersteering pumps). You could maybe save some money on a Camry v6 wagon steering rack, but they use a different ratio so the car will handle alittle different.

I'd personally just buy the new, correct rack & be done with it. And honestly I am the first person to tell you to go back Camry parts if you can do it & it's cheaper.

Racks are cheap but labor can run hella bad on them. Hope you can DIY, or find a really good shop rate.

Well I don't know. A rack is something I probably wouldn't do reman because they have a bad reputation on other vehicles. (along with reman powersteering pumps). You could maybe save some money on a Camry v6 wagon steering rack, but they use a different ratio so the car will handle alittle different.

I'd personally just buy the new, correct rack & be done with it. And honestly I am the first person to tell you to go back Camry parts if you can do it & it's cheaper.

Racks are cheap but labor can run hella bad on them. Hope you can DIY, or find a really good shop rate.

I hear ya, but I'm a memeber of the "I hate Lexus parts" club. Camry reman = 269, Camry new = 629 Lexus reman = 659, Lexus new = 960. After market reman = same as Camry. But if you buy a Toyota part and put it in a Lexus, you void the warranty! This really frosts my hyde. I'm gettin a Subaru.

Steve

LMAO it won't void the warranty. It has a great big TOYOTA imprint on the stamped code on the Lexus rack.

If you're DIY'ing then give the reman Lexus rack a shot. If it's bad you can always take it back.

LMAO it won't void the warranty. It has a great big TOYOTA imprint on the stamped code on the Lexus rack.

If you're DIY'ing then give the reman Lexus rack a shot. If it's bad you can always take it back.

And mia culpa on the Subaru comment... :blushing: somewhat kidding.

Yes, the Toyota dealership parts manager said that if you bring it back in, they'll ask for the VIN. If it's a Lexus, they won't warranty it.

To their credit, Lexus did describe why the reman was 2X the others - he said it uses all new parts except the casing. Supposedly none of the others do that? I'm not sure it makes any difference to get brand new parts for all that stuff...

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi

I had similar problem and I found the part through http://www.rockauto.com/

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total

1992 LEXUS ES300 3.0L 2959cc V6 FI (V) [3VZFE]

SPICER 5775077 Rack and Pinion Mount Bushing $ 9.19 $ 0.00 2 $ 18.38

Shipping $ 5.66

Order Total $ 24.04

i think it is bushing for the gear housing.

Steve

Had a buddy over tonight and we both decided that it needs a new rack. :cries: Unless I can get a bushing for the gear housing... The good news is that racks aren't that expensive. Any reason to buy brand new vs. reman? Dare I admit it?

S