Trip Mileage Report

We took our first long trip in our 2006 RX400h. So I thought I'd share our mileage information for those who might be interested.

First we have the Michelin original tires with 10,000 miles of use at end of trip, and I started with 38 pounds of pressure. I used Premium the entire way. The trip from Colorado Springs to Las Vegas and back was 1644 miles. We didn't drive for mileage - we went around 5 MPH over the speed limit. So, most of the trip we were going 80 MPH. Over the mountains the speed limit is mostly 65, so we went 70.

The results were that we used 65.181 gallons of gas which calculates to 25.22 MPG. The mileage on the Energy Screen said that we got 26.3 MPG.

During the trip over the mountains, going downhill the batteries charged to where all the bars were shown as green. On the way up Vail pass, the batteries got down to only one purple bar. I have to say that I love the way the 400h goes over mountian passes. Nice and smooth - no constant shifting. And no stressing at the top as with non-hybrids.

I wonder how a RX330 would have done on this same trip. I know that the story is that on the highway, the hybrid doesn't do any better than a RX330, but the battery system definitely does its thing the entire time causing me to think that it is somewhat better - even on the highway - than a regular vehicle of the same type.

By the way, my overall mileage with the 400h over the first 10,000 miles that we have had it is 26.8 by the Energy Montior which means probably around 25.8 actual.

I have to say that I love the way the 400h goes over mountian passes. Nice and smooth - no constant shifting. And no stressing at the top as with non-hybrids.

This is really an interesting observation that I have not considered nor read about before.

Tom

Thanks for the report; that's great news and verification as to how much better our gas mileage is over non-hybrid SUVs. :cheers:

I just got back from a 3000mi roadtrip and had similar results. 26.7 mpg, premium gas, tire pressure set at Lexus spec., primarily highway. I concur with C. Springs great observation about mountain performance. No annoying downshifts, just smooth power. Yet another thing I love about the 400h.

We took our first long trip in our 2006 RX400h. So I thought I'd share our mileage information for those who might be interested.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

By the way, my overall mileage with the 400h over the first 10,000 miles that we have had it is 26.8 by the Energy Montior which means probably around 25.8 actual.

Hmmm, funny you'd think actual calc's would yield a lower (25.8) mpg than what you see on the MFD. We've done real math, and calculated slightly higher than the MFD's readout. Same thing with our Prius. Real number crunching typically yields about a half mpg higher for us. So that actually makes us feel better.