Why Is My Seat Clunking?

The driver's seat on my '97 ES300 (180K miles) makes a metallic clunking sometimes when I go around a moderately hard turn. All of the power adjustments (including lumbar) work fine, and I couldn't see anything blatantly loose under the seat. It sounds just like when I used to keep a 4D-cell MagLite under the driver's seat of my Honda and it would occasionally clank against the seat braces when I went around a turn...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

:cheers:

• 1 month later...
The driver's seat on my '97 ES300 (180K miles) makes a metallic clunking sometimes when I go around a moderately hard turn. All of the power adjustments (including lumbar) work fine, and I couldn't see anything blatantly loose under the seat. It sounds just like when I used to keep a 4D-cell MagLite under the driver's seat of my Honda and it would occasionally clank against the seat braces when I went around a turn...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

:cheers:

I have no idea what the noise is but I have the exact same issue and it is driving me nuts! It does sound like a MagLite rolling around, but I can't see anything to create the noise either. I would prefer not taking it to a dealer and having them fix it for $100 or something ridiculous.

so does mine

i think the seat becomes shot so when u make a sudden move its kind of a buttoming out process.

with the springs or w.e its in there

I think you may be on to something. It doesn't make the noise unless I am in the seat, making it quite difficult to diagnose. I am going to have my bf look at it (he's a mechanic) and if I find out anything I will let you know.

Yes; my 97 does it too, I thought it was my CD cases falling back hitting inside my center console, Then I thought it was the key remote hitting the dash when I turn. GOT ME! I'm going to check it out too.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, my 96 also showed this symptom in the past. One day I decided to deal with it: I used my hands to 'shake' the seat surface (it is where you will sit on) left and right repeatedly (but not so hard to destroy the seat), now this 'clunking' sound seem to has gone.

I don't know whether it will appear again or not, but at least, this method works so far. My guess is that there is a spring under the seat got 'old' for the long time, and my shake 'woke it up' :rolleyes: