Running To Stand Still

Driving home today I noticed the car feeling sluggish. When I got off the expressway I could barely get any forward motion. Hitting the gas just increased the RPMs, barely any forward movement. I tried several gears, same thing. I shut it off and turned back on, a little better, but obviously something isn't right.

Before I take it to the shop...any suggestions of what this might be...or threads to read. Transmission brought up too many wo wade through.

Note, this was on the way home from having a root canal with my jaw throbbing. Such joy.

Thanks.

Driving home today I noticed the car feeling sluggish. When I got off the expressway I could barely get any forward motion. Hitting the gas just increased the RPMs, barely any forward movement. I tried several gears, same thing. I shut it off and turned back on, a little better, but obviously something isn't right.

Before I take it to the shop...any suggestions of what this might be...or threads to read. Transmission brought up too many wo wade through.

Note, this was on the way home from having a root canal with my jaw throbbing. Such joy.

Thanks.

I went back out about an hour later and started the car and was able to move back and forth along the curb when I'd parked and it seemed normal. WTF? :censored:

quote]

I went back out about an hour later and started the car and was able to move back and forth along the curb when I'd parked and it seemed normal. WTF? :censored:

Oh *BLEEP*e...about a month ago my little brother's Saturn crapped out and I used my Lexi to push it down a street for about three miles. No hills, flat, but it was still a stress on the engine. I've just been reading in the Search results for "transmission" and someone mentioned something like this. Did I fry my tranny? I have about 135,000 on the odo.

Does it make sense to just start by examining the tranny fluid and having it flushed (not with the power flush)? This morning on my way to work it was operating just fine.

I'm truly stumped, that just doesn't seem like a problem that would appear and then totally disappear.

Transmission shot.

Anyone recommend a used vs. rebuild? Used + labor I'm being quoted $1,800, $2,400 for the rebuild.

Either way, probably bye bye to my beloved Lexus...no way the wife will let me put this much into a 14 year old car. :cries:

Transmission shot.

Anyone recommend a used vs. rebuild? Used + labor I'm being quoted $1,800, $2,400 for the rebuild.

Either way, probably bye bye to my beloved Lexus...no way the wife will let me put this much into a 14 year old car.:cries:

Okay, I've decided just to keep replying to my own post!

A neighbor in my condo building has his own tranny rebuild shop directly next door to our building. He says he'll do the entire rebuild, along with one year warranty, for a flat fee of $1,200.

Friends, is this a good deal, it certainly seems like it. I would really value any opinions before I go home and try to sell this to my wife.

Otherwise it's back to the bicycle/Honda Civic for me.

my transmission is pretty much destroyed, too. My grandmother had the car towed to this one place where I don't even know where it is and she said the guy there is quoting me 850 for a new transmission. good deal? bad deal? Should I not do it? I called the guy and I tried looking for the place and I couldn't find it anywhere... I don't think I'll ever trust my grandmother again....

my transmission is pretty much destroyed, too. My grandmother had the car towed to this one place where I don't even know where it is and she said the guy there is quoting me 850 for a new transmission. good deal? bad deal? Should I not do it? I called the guy and I tried looking for the place and I couldn't find it anywhere... I don't think I'll ever trust my grandmother again....

Haha...well, don't stop trusting your Grammy!

I will let you all know how it turns out...I just had it towed to my neighbor's shop an hour ago and it's already up on the rack. He might cut corners, true, but he knows I live directly above him and have a three year old who I can direct to run and scream all over the hardwood condo floors at all hours, so...

Chyea. Well, I don't really think he'll cut any corners or antyhing like that just becuase of the fact that you two know each other and that could lead to more business. Like I learned in economics: Its often more profitable to keep a recurring customer than to have new ones.... or something along those lines.

Most used trannys and engines run from $500-$800 depending on where the mechanic will get it from, and it should cost around $400-$500 for labor, so $1200 sounds pretty good, and that fact that you two are neighbors means he more than likely wont make it a crappy job. Go for it! :cheers:

MRB used the 4 speed transmission run about $350-500 depending on the condition.

$2000 for a transmission? Jesus Christ for $2000 you could have a shop convert it to a manual.:wacko:

Prolly $1000-1200 to change the transmission for a used one with labor. Depends on the labor really.

If you haven't yet. Change the transmission fluid twice & see if it's better. Walmart + $10 = 2 gallons of transmission fluid (two changes).

Drain the pan, refill, drive around the block. (or if it wont drive let it idle 5m)

Drain the pan again, refill & drive it around the block. If it still won't drive let it idle 5m on a level surface & with the engine running, check the fluid level on the dip-stick. It should read to the full, HOT mark.

I guess I've had WAY too many "friends" try to screw me over when it came to auto work. :chairshot: :chairshot:

But you'all know how its goes, all it takes is getting

nailed a few times to make you cynical.

MRB used the 4 speed transmission run about $350-500 depending on the condition.

$2000 for a transmission? Jesus Christ for $2000 you could have a shop convert it to a manual.:wacko:

Prolly $1000-1200 to change the transmission for a used one with labor. Depends on the labor really.

If you haven't yet. Change the transmission fluid twice & see if it's better. Walmart + $10 = 2 gallons of transmission fluid (two changes).

Drain the pan, refill, drive around the block. (or if it wont drive let it idle 5m)

Drain the pan again, refill & drive it around the block. If it still won't drive let it idle 5m on a level surface & with the engine running, check the fluid level on the dip-stick. It should read to the full, HOT mark.

Welp...the rebuild (not replacement with a used tranny) is already underway. I was out playing with my son in front of our building and this guy came by and said hey your trans is all taken apart in the shop...wanna see?

WOW...knowing not a thing about cars (other than what I've learned here in the past year which is actually somewhat impressive) I said absolutely.

Incredible...so many parts, just amazing. Anyway, pan full of metal shavings all over the place, he showed me a couple parts and compared them to a V6 Camry trans he had lying around showing me where mine was f-ed up...pretty obvious.

I was told by the first place that the transmission fluid pump probably stopped working and my neighbor told me that he routinely makes a minor modification to whatever part(s) it is that injects the trans fluid so that a little more gets into the gears during normal operation.

I trust the guy, he's had his shop for years and as was said earlier here...he's interested in doing a good job for me so I send people his way.

Will let you know how it feels later today or tomorrow when it's ready. Can't wait!! God bless the neighbor AND my wife for approving of a big job on a 13 year old car.

Question...the other MAIN topic I have posted here ove the past year has been my fuel efficiency. You don't suppose a newly rebuild tranny will effect that do you?

Congrats, it sounds like this guy is the real deal. :cheers:

I would say that a poorly working trans would affect your mileage. It obviously wasn't working properly or efficiently so I would imagine that your mileage would pick up.

Congrats, it sounds like this guy is the real deal. :cheers:

I would say that a poorly working trans would affect your mileage. It obviously wasn't working properly or efficiently so I would imagine that your mileage would pick up.

It seems like that would be the case.

And now this is complete and utterly uninformed speculation, but might this explain why I got such good (=normal) mpg on the highway over long distances (26mpg), but such awful (15mpg) in the city. Perhaps the overdrive gear was okay and the rest were causing too much friction.

I'm an idiot though, no clue what I'm talking about!!

The transmission won't greatly affect fuel eocnomy, however getting a much milder, lower rpm torque convertor will as it'll slip less & be mroe effecient.

The downside is a much slower car. hah

hey i gotta torque convertor laying around here that i think is 2800-3200rpm depend how how much horsepower you've got. wanna buy it & have him put it in? it'd be like launching your car with another 20 horsepower powerbraking, or anytime you hit the gas and it hits flash speed.

The transmission won't greatly affect fuel eocnomy, however getting a much milder, lower rpm torque convertor will as it'll slip less & be mroe effecient.

hey i gotta torque convertor laying around here that i think is 2800-3200rpm depend how how much horsepower you've got. wanna buy it & have him put it in? it'd be like launching your car with another 20 horsepower powerbraking, or anytime you hit the gas and it hits flash speed.

Thanks toys...but the $1,200 I'm spending is more than enough cash outlay for me for now. Hoping to get her back after work today. Will let you all know, and thanks for the comments, advice. Helpful as always.

Thanks toys...but the $1,200 I'm spending is more than enough cash outlay for me for now. Hoping to get her back after work today. Will let you all know, and thanks for the comments, advice. Helpful as always.

Picked her up last night. Smooth as butter! She's back!! Happy Day.

Anyone in the Chicago-land area who would like information on this shop, I am happy to pass along the info. I can't guarantee he will give you the price I got, but I am sure I could get anyone from these boards a discount if you need the work done.

Thanks again.