Wahts Faster?

hey i was just wondering waht would be faster if im in a 2001 es300. overdrive on or off if i wanted to race someone which one would give me a faster time.

me and my friend just race each other for fun when we get bored and was wondering if i would be going faster if i kept overdrive off. also would putting traction control off make me any faster?

Dude, do your parents know what your doing with their car ? ;-)

Bored ? Are things that bad in Ohio ? You should be cruising with your girl and not racing around like some dopey ricer.

Relax... enjoy the ride.

Geo

You got to know your limitations and pick your fights... what is your friend running ? Maybe you just won't be able to beat him no matter what.

The race you don't want to win is the one into the tree.

Take care. Geo

P.S. I also have a 2001 ES 300. Heres a old post/photo....

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...hl=Pebble+Beach

Like I said Relax.....

nice it looks good. lol can u just tell me overdrive on or off?

The O/D lockup clutch is generally not hefty enough for engine torque above normal cruising. The engine/transaxle ECU will ALWAYS disable O/D anytime a substantial level of engine torque is called for so the torque converter torque multiplication factor will be used.

Bottom line...

Once you're in cruise mode at 120MPH+ the O/D might be used if the wind resistance doesn't require too much engine torque to sustain the (whatever) speed.

It doesn't matter if you disable it or no, O/D is always locked out during acceleration.

Racing... in a stock 01 ES300? Lexus didnt make it for pushing 0-60 in 5.3, thats the IS's job. <_<

Stop trying to put fuel additives in and stop messing with your transmission. Just roll down the windows, turn up the stereo, and do what Geo says and enjoy the ride. Plus if you spend less time racing you can spend less time at the pumps, which is more money for you!

If your going fast enough for it to matter, you are going way too fast. If you get busted, you won't be signing a 65MPH in a 55MPH ticket--you'll be in a lockup touching your toes naked while an officer searches for contraband.

The engine should downshift automatically. Good luck with the racing. I usually stick to racing minivans, box trucks, and echos in between stoplights. It helps with my self-esteem.

There is absolutely no differance in which is faster until the OEM computer would want to shift into overdrive, which depending on the year, for th 4 speeds it can range from 110-115mph.

None of your cars can run the 1/4m in over 85mph at best, so it makes absolutely no differance, unless it'sa mile long flat out race.

ns:

You'll either be one of the shortest lived new member or you will entertain us for a long time.

Take our advise and don't mess up that car and kill someone in the process. Walking away from a foolish race/bet shows who the better person is.

Good luck and look out Ohio !

Geo

Unfortunately, there isn't much you do with your car. You could try that 98-00 Camry supercharger Toysrme was telling me about. You just have to make it work with your car (good luck on that one, lol). The ES 300 is more of a family/crusing car, not a performance car. Trade yours in and get a 3 Series or an IS if you want performance.

The ES 300's were definetly not made for racing (and winning lol) unless you do some serious modding which means custom stuff. I pwn FA22ChevelleSS all the time unless he's in his daddy's Mercedes <_< . But it's just fun racing, playin tag on a 4 lane highway or racing from light to light just for fun and only when its safe to do so. So I would agree with the guy before saying if you want to race and beat your friend, try investing in an IS :)

• 2 weeks later...

Torque converter upgrade would throw you down to near breaking into high 13's. Valve body ugprade that & slightly more.

75 wet shot of n2o would know another second down.

You're running 13's if you can hook it up...