Transfer Case And Differential Fluid

JohnDoyle

I see lots of posting about automatic transmission fluid and, while the importance of this can't be underestimated, what about the lubricant in the transfer case and differential of AWD vehicles?

Do members replace the lubricant in those gearboxes regularly? What do you use? Toyota? Synthetic? Any thoughts or best practices? I was planning on draining both gearboxes and putting in Redline GL5 at 30K when I replace the transmission fluid. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

John

I see lots of posting about automatic transmission fluid and, while the importance of this can't be underestimated, what about the lubricant in the transfer case and differential of AWD vehicles?

Do members replace the lubricant in those gearboxes regularly? What do you use? Toyota? Synthetic? Any thoughts or best practices? I was planning on draining both gearboxes and putting in Redline GL5 at 30K when I replace the transmission fluid. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

John

Since at 40,000 miles my ATF was looking and smelling burned I was suspicious of the PTO oil and checked it. It appeared to be clear and "prestine". The diff'l runs in the same, shares, the ATF with the transaxle but has a separate drain plug.

John,

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a 30000 mile scheduled item. Fwiw, whenever any of my cars calls for the heavier differential lube, I use Mobil 1. Love the stuff.

This is a failry easy job.

Gary

The owners manual for my 2001 AWD RX300 does not call for any transaxle/ATF scheduled maintenance for the life of the vehicle.