Rx300 Clicking Noise Turning Left

Help Please!

Just noticed this morning (wife's car, so may have been going on for some time) a clicking sound coming from the passenger front wheel area when turning hard to the left. Is this a CV issue (all boots look fine). If so, estimate on parts and labor and rebuild or aftermarket parts acceptable.

Thanks

'02 RX300 2WD with 99k

I just had CV issues on my Subaru Outback and it sounded exactly like what you describe. Sorry I can't help you regarding the RX, but I just traded said Outback in on the RX yesterday and so far, clear sailing! ;-) I will say this though: Do NOT put it off! We actually started hearing the clicking (then grinding) noise back in December on a road trip to Vegas, then it magically disappeared when we replaced all the tires. It came back with a vengeance last week and the repair bill came to almost a grand (CV, wheel bearing, hull, and ABS sensor all had to be replaced, and the mechanic said it would have been much less painful had we rectified the problem immediately).

Mags

About a year ago I had similar problem. My 2000 RX300 had about 80K miles on it and started to have steering wheel click turning both right and left. This is noticable when the car is not in motion.

I brought the car to an independent shop that specializes in Toyota and Lexus. Turned out the car has a loose bush mount. The repair was $80. But to replace a bush mount it would cost $800.

Let us know what happened to yours.

• 2 weeks later...
Help Please!

Just noticed this morning (wife's car, so may have been going on for some time) a clicking sound coming from the passenger front wheel area when turning hard to the left. Is this a CV issue (all boots look fine). If so, estimate on parts and labor and rebuild or aftermarket parts acceptable.

Thanks

'02 RX300 2WD with 99k

I had the same problem on the right side. After replacing the right CV joint and axle (a very expensive feat) the noise was still there! the mechanic finally found out it was the lower ball joint which was replaced for peanuts. The noise is now gone and i am angry. Make sure your mechanic drives the vehicle before he diagnoses the problem

I replaced the left drive axle, with aftermarket EMPI brand, was only $95 for the part and I installed it, piece of cake. Dont get the axle repaired, just replace it, cost is nothing. For a mechanic to do it (independent) should be reasonable. Took me 2hours time and I am not a mechanic by trade. I agree though have the ball joints checked, but usually clicking is a axle shaft.

• 2 years later...

Like 'lenore' said, it had a bad inner CV joint and needed the drive axle (passenger side) replaced. Bought on-line for about $100, replaced it myself. NOT a piece of cake, however. There were a lot of seized bolts and cotter pins (especially the drive shaft in the hub assemby, the cotter pin in the ball joint nut and the 6 bolts that attach the inner CV joint to the tranny). Required impact hammer, penetrating lube, propane torch, a 5lb hammer and a cheater pipe.

One suggestion that I got off the internet - when disconnecting the ball joint, don't remove the cotter pin and main bolt (the one that points vertically) - there is very little room (too little to even get the box end of a wrench on it and the open end was stripping the nut) - instead remove the 3 bolts from the control arm (very easy access with a socket). This way you also don't need any special tools and are not as likely to damage the ball joint.

FWIW - I don't have a Lexus dealership nearby - went to Toyota - mechanic drove the car and told me the clicking sound was from a rock stuck in the wheel! Goes to show that anything a mechanic says should be subject to scrutiny.