Amsoil Motor Oil- Is It Really As Good As They Say It Is?

NausetDog

Hi Forum,

Just sold my 96 LS 400 w/ 207K miles and bought a 2002 LS 430 w/ 76K miles. The 430 is a family car, never seen a winter road yet, and been almost exclusively dealer maintained except for oil changes. Has had a combination of Castrol Synthetic Blend & conventional oil changes every 3K miles.

Questions:

1) Has anyone used AMSOIL Motor oil? Is it really as good as they say it is? Can you go 25K miles between changes w/ a AMSOIL filter?

2) My LS 430 has no oil leaks now. Should I be concerened about switching over to a 100% Synthetic oil?

3) I usually have Jiffy Lube change my oil, but I just don't trust them, too much employee turnover, and too many scandals. Does anyone know any shops in Massachusetts where I can get an AMSOIL flush & oil changeover done?

4) What about AMSOIL air filters, they are guaranteed for 100K miles if you clean them every 25K miles. This seems a little extreme!

Thanks,

NausetDog

ellismr@charter.net

While I have no direct experience with Amsoil oils, I understand they are very good and have a good market acceptance.

Under no circumstances, however, would I go more than 4K miles on any oil or any filter. Likewise, I would try and avoid getting any closer than 1 mile to any Jiffy-Lube or similar facility with my car.

Just my opinion.

Hi Forum,

Just sold my 96 LS 400 w/ 207K miles and bought a 2002 LS 430 w/ 76K miles. The 430 is a family car, never seen a winter road yet, and been almost exclusively dealer maintained except for oil changes. Has had a combination of Castrol Synthetic Blend & conventional oil changes every 3K miles.

Questions:

1) Has anyone used AMSOIL Motor oil? Is it really as good as they say it is? Can you go 25K miles between changes w/ a AMSOIL filter?

2) My LS 430 has no oil leaks now. Should I be concerened about switching over to a 100% Synthetic oil?

3) I usually have Jiffy Lube change my oil, but I just don't trust them, too much employee turnover, and too many scandals. Does anyone know any shops in Massachusetts where I can get an AMSOIL flush & oil changeover done?

4) What about AMSOIL air filters, they are guaranteed for 100K miles if you clean them every 25K miles. This seems a little extreme!

Thanks,

NausetDog

ellismr@charter.net

Amsoil is very high density oil that I use for my motorcycle. As far as LS concern, I always use Castrol Syntec blend and go with factory recomended grade (5W-30). It works great for me....but its just my personal prefference. I wouldn't try to have any car run more than 5k on any type of oil or filter - syntetic or not. I think LS was engineered by very smart people...why would I want to test their knowledge?? Again....my personal opinion.

Almost all SM oils from the major oil manufacturers are really good nowadays. I would not spend a lot of money for synthetic oil for an LS. I'm not just saying this lightly, as I myself, really love taking great care of my cars (including of course my Lexus) and I've done a ton of research into this subject of oil, and have concluded that "regular" 5W-30 oil (changed often enough) is probably the best way to go. I strongly feel that it's better than 25,000 miles on a really good synthetic.

I use regular (yellow bottle) Pennzoil 5W-30 in my LS400, and change it every 3 or 4 thousand miles, maybe even more if the conditions are right. If you want to be extra safe with the oil, get the Japan-made 90915-20004 oil filter.

Do you know what I mean by SM oil? If not, no big deal, just post again and I'd be glad to go into more depth on this subject.

Hi Forum,

Questions:

Thanks,

NausetDog

ellismr@charter.net

Amsoil is very high density oil that I use for my motorcycle. As far as LS concern, I always use Castrol Syntec blend and go with factory recomended grade (5W-30). It works great for me....but its just my personal prefference. I wouldn't try to have any car run more than 5k on any type of oil or filter - syntetic or not. I think LS was engineered by very smart people...why would I want to test their knowledge?? Again....my personal opinion.

Hi NausetDog,

I use Amsoil in my car and now have very close to 300,000 miles and still working very good. But I went one step futher, I use a bypass filter along with the engine filter. I keep the oil in as much as two years before changing it out. But I change the engine oil filter every 6 months and the bypass filter every year. Otherwise it seems a waste of money to buy expensive oil and drain it long before it's used up. Daffy

Hi Clomicky,

No I don't know what you mean by SM oil, but I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks,

NausetDog

Almost all SM oils from the major oil manufacturers are really good nowadays. I would not spend a lot of money for synthetic oil for an LS. I'm not just saying this lightly, as I myself, really love taking great care of my cars (including of course my Lexus) and I've done a ton of research into this subject of oil, and have concluded that "regular" 5W-30 oil (changed often enough) is probably the best way to go. I strongly feel that it's better than 25,000 miles on a really good synthetic.

I use regular (yellow bottle) Pennzoil 5W-30 in my LS400, and change it every 3 or 4 thousand miles, maybe even more if the conditions are right. If you want to be extra safe with the oil, get the Japan-made 90915-20004 oil filter.

Do you know what I mean by SM oil? If not, no big deal, just post again and I'd be glad to go into more depth on this subject.

Hi Daffy,

Thanks very much for the post. I read about using a bypass filter and was very intrigued. Do you have any idea how much it might be to get one installed in my LS 430 & where I might go to have one installed? Not sure if I want to go that route, I just sold my 96 LS 400 w/ 207K miles all driven on conventional 5/30 so I'm not sure it's worth the extra hassle & investment. By the way, my 96 LS 400 pearl white was a MUCH better looking car than my Gold 2002 LS 430......too bad Lexus bailed on a true classic design!

I'm doing as much research as I can right now, and will be driving my LS 430 which has 76K miles on it now for at least the next 5 yrs and should end up w/ 260K - 300K on it by then if all goes well. My father in law buys a new Lexus every 5 yrs & he just bought an LS 460 which should be my next purchase.........NICE CAR!!!!!!

Thanks,

NausetDog

Hi NausetDog,

I use Amsoil in my car and now have very close to 300,000 miles and still working very good. But I went one step futher, I use a bypass filter along with the engine filter. I keep the oil in as much as two years before changing it out. But I change the engine oil filter every 6 months and the bypass filter every year. Otherwise it seems a waste of money to buy expensive oil and drain it long before it's used up. Daffy

Hi NausetDog,

If you plan to keep your car only 5 years, then it is not worth installing a bypass filter. I keep my cars until they become too much trouble. I have had this Lexus now for 9 years and I am still very happy with it. The other reason for going with bypass filter is, fewer oil changes, which makes it more convenient, as I don't have to service the car so often. I still watch all the other maintenance things, but changing oil is a pain in the butt for me. I use to take it to a lube shop, but they do more damage than good. I had to replace the under shield for the engine out of my own pocket, just because they hadn't installed it correctly, and it dragged on the road. This shows me that if they can't install what they took apart, then they can probably screw up an oil change. The Lexus engine is way too expensive to fix if thing aren't done properly. My Lexus dealer is on the other side of town, which makes it too far for me to deal with. So I do my own work when ever things arise. Going with more frequent oil changes with ordinary oil, is a good way to go as well. You will get long engine life either way. Daffy

I still find it funny that people post I would not do this or that, pertaining to oil, without anything to support it.

Case-in-point, I have done several 12,000+ mile drains on a sludge prone ES and Amsoil performed very well per the UOA. In my eyes, anything less then the book (using chinamart oil) is a total waste.

In some cars it (Amsoil) can do over 25K; Many no. Bypasses are nice but overpriced and you will never make you money back via filter prices and testing.

The other question on should I switch has been brought up like 1000 times.

Hi NausetDog,

Could you post pictures and tell me what parts you used to create your setup? I'm interested for my own LS400.

Hi NausetDog,

Could you post pictures and tell me what parts you used to create your setup? I'm interested for my own LS400.

Sony- A bypass will not save you any money. Wasting your time here since the bypass and full flow filter prices are high...more then if you did normal drains. Just trying to save you money.

If anyone posts UOA here that would help. So far, a bypass and changing oil before the manual states is a waste a time, money and oil.

Being an engineer, I have run the matix on oils, bypasses and nope; not gonna work for a savings.