Question.

I was driving with my friend in her mom's Cavalier, and I know you guys probably don't know much about these cars, but anyway, the car has around 80K miles and its an 04. Anyway, her and me were driving and she 'accidentally' shifted the car into Reverse while going about, oh say, 30 MPH. She said that she had it Neutral before shifting it into reverse. What she wanted to know was if there was going to be any damage to the transmission. The car kinda jerked and made some funny little noise and shut the car off entirely.

What I want to know is why she would be doing that kind of stupid stuff at all, especially with me in the car!

I guess time will tell :wacko:

Hey, tell her to not feel too bad. I recently read a post in another Lexus forum about someone who was driving a new '07 ES350 and shifted it into PARK while doing 90 MPH !!!! Needless to say the whole tranny had to be replaced.

The thing was though, she did it on purpose as a last resort cuz the car was accelerating out of control. She was literally standing on the brakes with both feet but it still wouldn't slow down!!

So, putting a Cavalier into Reverse at 30 MPH sounds pretty tame by comparison.

By putting the transmission into reverse while going forward will cause some damage. The good thing is the damage would be minimal. I believe this car has the automatic shut off when reverse speed is over a set limit. I used to drive one these before my Lexus. The bottom line is it might be ok. You wouldn't really know until you change the fluid and take out the filter to see any metal or seal particles.

I guess time will tell :wacko:

Hey, tell her to not feel too bad. I recently read a post in another Lexus forum about someone who was driving a new '07 ES350 and shifted it into PARK while doing 90 MPH !!!! Needless to say the whole tranny had to be replaced.

The thing was though, she did it on purpose as a last resort cuz the car was accelerating out of control. She was literally standing on the brakes with both feet but it still wouldn't slow down!!

So, putting a Cavalier into Reverse at 30 MPH sounds pretty tame by comparison.

Not to be a jerk...but turning off the ignition key might have been a better way to deal with the stuck throttle.... :whistles: