Uhaul Trailer

I am looking to rent a UHaul trailer to attach to my RX350. I am getting the hitch installed at a local place the dealer recommended. I am probably looking to go for a 6' x 12' or a 5' x 10'.

Has anyone had experience of renting a trailer from UHaul? What is the towing limit on the RX350? Any other things to look out for?

Thanks!

Hello! The tow capacityis 3500 lbs., 350 lb tongue weight (downward weight onto hitch ball & draw bar). Make sure to get a hitch ball (2" is standard, but check wtih U-Haul) and a draw bar (standard is about 8" long) & a locking hitch pin so your draw bar can't be stolen. Also, make sure you have trailer wiring in your vehicle to hook up your turn signals & brake lights to the trailer. You should not need towing mirrors, but if you'd feel more comfortable with them, any auto parts store will have universal types that attach to your mirror with adjustable velcro straps. Maybe a hitch cover too, black rubber will hide the open receiver under your vehicle well. You should not need anything else like a sway bar or weight distribution since the max towing weight is only 3500 lbs. Oh & something to lubricate the end of the draw bar. Just drive with common sence - more stopping distance is needed, backing into someplace is a pain, don't try to pull out into fast moving traffic & don't drive at Mach 1 - the trailer will have little tiny tires. Good luck! :)

Hello! The tow capacityis 3500 lbs., 350 lb tongue weight (downward weight onto hitch ball & draw bar). Make sure to get a hitch ball (2" is standard, but check wtih U-Haul) and a draw bar (standard is about 8" long) & a locking hitch pin so your draw bar can't be stolen. Also, make sure you have trailer wiring in your vehicle to hook up your turn signals & brake lights to the trailer. You should not need towing mirrors, but if you'd feel more comfortable with them, any auto parts store will have universal types that attach to your mirror with adjustable velcro straps. Maybe a hitch cover too, black rubber will hide the open receiver under your vehicle well. You should not need anything else like a sway bar or weight distribution since the max towing weight is only 3500 lbs. Oh & something to lubricate the end of the draw bar. Just drive with common sence - more stopping distance is needed, backing into someplace is a pain, don't try to pull out into fast moving traffic & don't drive at Mach 1 - the trailer will have little tiny tires. Good luck! :)

Thanks Rya - really helpful! Have a few more questions if I may...

Out of interest what size trailer did you rent? We are thinking of the 12' x 6'.

Uhaul says 45 MPH is the max - is that what you would recommend?

What did your hitch cost?

Out of interest what size trailer did you rent? We are thinking of the 12' x 6'.

Uhaul says 45 MPH is the max - is that what you would recommend?

What did your hitch cost?

I think we probably had a 5' x 8'. We only had to bring a small bedroom set from my parents house to ours, about a 4 hour drive. I'd probably stick with he 45 MPH, maybe 50. The tires are really small, and just not meant for highway speeds. Better to be safe.

We were in the accessories business & sold hitches, my hubby installed it.... so we paid wholesale prices many years ago. I found hitches for the RX online ranging from $150 - $250, shipping & w/o installation. My guess is if you're paying around $350 or less than you got a good deal. Maybe a bit more if your in California.

Be prepared, the U-haul hitch will look like a monster compared to the Lexus hitch.

Don't know what brand of hitch is being put on, but that's a good question.

You'll pay about $100 more for the Lexus hitch. I shopped extensively including U-haul.

If looks count, be sure to check it out.

You'll pay about $100 more for the Lexus hitch. I shopped extensively including U-haul.

If looks count, be sure to check it out.

Do you know who makes the hitch for Lexus? My favorite is Hidden Hitch. I like the matte finish & the hidden receiver.

Do you know who makes the hitch for Lexus? My favorite is Hidden Hitch. I like the matte finish & the hidden receiver.

I don't know who makes this. All of the ones I found look like the one at the site below except for the Lexus.

THe Lexus hitch is definitely hidden more especially around the exhaust.

I could not find anyone that had a HiddenHitch for the Lexus.

http://www.hitch-web.com