Your Octane Booster

My understanding is that techrolene is what you need as additive to combat ethanol(EtOH) effects on you r O2 sensors...the EtOH burns them out fast and the dealers are redfusing to replace them (if you are under warranty) and they detect the casue of failure to be EtOH. I have heard that Lexus has redesigned the O2 sensors to tolerate EtOH but the new plugs are around $300 each (I think an RX300 has 3 or 4).

dude what's your deal with octane? IT DOES NOT MAKE MORE POWER.

You are not running a 200 horsepower shot of n2o, or an extra 20lb/m o airflow via a turbo. You don't need any more octane than you can already buy at your pumps.

in fact, your best bet for peak power & economy is probably 89-90 octane instead of the rated 91.

No... If anything if you ever put real 104octane gas in there you'd probably loose 50 miles a tank & drop 10+ horsepower across the board.

and those cans of octane booster don't do very much at all. If you want to try it go run your tank down low. Go to a gas station by an 1/8m 1/4m or drag strip, or a race track of any kind & buy some damned 105-115 octane UNLEADED racing fuel.

Or fill your tank up with E85 ethanol which is 115octane.

Your mileage and power output will both be horrible either way.

Toysrme,

I 've been checking my gas milage for 2 years and every single time that I use 87 octane I get 2-3 mpg LESS!!! than when I use 93 octane.

The way that I have always understood it, the lower the octane the faster it burns, but its not a good complete burn. A higher octane burns slower but more completly and thus, is more efficient - which helps a good engine produce more power.

Think of Gun Powder. The old Black powder burned very fast and was explosive, but it was not efficient at all. The new smokeless powders burn super slow but completly, and thus produce more power and velocity.

I would say no, octane booster isn't really that great. I saw someone else post that if it was really a great thing and worked really well they would be advertising it WAY more and would probably include it in a gas already. I think the octane booster is just a waste of money, just buy some seafoam to clean out your engine or some other engine cleaner product, seafoam is all i've used so idk what else is really out there.

Toysrme,

The way that I have always understood it, the lower the octane the faster it burns, but its not a good complete burn.

Backwards with fuel ratings. More gas combusts outside the chamber with higher octane. Which is why emessions goes to hell when you run it.

I've been checking my gas milage for 2 years and every single time that I use 87 octane I get 2-3 mpg LESS!!! than when I use 93 octane.

Reset your fuel trims & give it two tanks. It may come in line. It takes relatively along time of running for long term fuel trims to catch up.

lol so does that mean the octane booster 104+ (thats the name of the booster) will work?

I know what you're talking about, and I'm telling you no...

YOU DO NOT HAVE A HIGHLY STRESSED ENGINE WITH A TURBO, SUPERCHARGER, NITROUS OXIDE, OR HIGH COMPRESSION PISTONS WITH AGGRESSIVE CAMSHAFT PROFILS. YOU CAN NOT MAKE USE OF ANY MORE OCTANE THAN YOU CAN STAND, AND "OCTANE IN A CAN" DOES ALMOST NOTHING TO THE OCTANE, ALONG WITH BEING GENERALLY MORE EXPENCIVE THAN BUYING THE CORRECT OCTANE TO BEGIN WITH.

I don't have a personal problem with him. I have a personal problem with anyone asking the same damned question 10 times in a row, and that's just this forum. Sheesh geta grip. Alcohol, acetone, or tolulene in a bottle. woo-hoo.

You can buy large quantities of any of that stuff for probably cheaper.