Back In The Game....kinda

Ler

Remember me?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry232276

I picked up the old girl on Friday after an EXCRUCIATING 5 and a half months in the shop :censored: (new block and radiator :censored: :censored: ). I am yet to pay my repair bill of $2909.11 because the mechanic was on lunch when I got there.

As I strolled out to hop it, I was met with a variety of fun new problems. The engine was dropped on the bumper and a small gash was left (damage is being paid for by mechanic), my passenger side headlight is full of water (probably not shops fault), my drivers side window doesn't roll up, I STILL have a bearing squeaking, he didn't fix the parking brake, and it doesn't seem to be shifting right when I get to about 20 mph.

I go tomorrow for new tires and an alignment, and I have an appointment to get my bumper fixed and I'm looking for two new headlights now. The bearing is getting checked out this week too. I managed to fix my radio problems today, so at least I have some tunes on to drown out the sound of the irritating squeak.

I know that these are really great cars. This one might be a dud, or maybe the last owner just ran this into the ground. I don't want my problems to scare anybody away from getting one, but just remember this:

The fun just never stops when you drive a Lexus ;)

PLEASE, tell me what you think about the bill and the the current problems. As always, INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Ler

Remember you well.

NOT GOOD. . .mechanic can't even put an engine in carefully. He's definitely loosing money on this job. A new bumper cover and any overhauling could run $1000. I don't want to add insults to injuries here. You might want to prepare yourself to see how satisfy you are going to be with a new paint job on the new bumper cover. The new paint is going to be a bit off from the fenders. You can definitely notice the difference.

Now you have a transmission problem. May be good idea to keep the money from the bumper damage and sell the car. otherwise, you might need a transmission as well.

If you really want to be keep the car, why don't you get the transmission taken care off first before all those alignment and brakes. If you can't get the car to shift correctly, what's the point going to buy new tires, alignment, brakes and new headlights? You are looking at another $1000 or so for all these work.

Final question: how much have you spent so far and other future work?

Remember me?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry232276

I picked up the old girl on Friday after an EXCRUCIATING 5 and a half months in the shop :censored: (new block and radiator :censored: :censored: ). I am yet to pay my repair bill of $2909.11 because the mechanic was on lunch when I got there.

As I strolled out to hop it, I was met with a variety of fun new problems. The engine was dropped on the bumper and a small gash was left (damage is being paid for by mechanic), my passenger side headlight is full of water (probably not shops fault), my drivers side window doesn't roll up, I STILL have a bearing squeaking, he didn't fix the parking brake, and it doesn't seem to be shifting right when I get to about 20 mph.

I go tomorrow for new tires and an alignment, and I have an appointment to get my bumper fixed and I'm looking for two new headlights now. The bearing is getting checked out this week too. I managed to fix my radio problems today, so at least I have some tunes on to drown out the sound of the irritating squeak.

I know that these are really great cars. This one might be a dud, or maybe the last owner just ran this into the ground. I don't want my problems to scare anybody away from getting one, but just remember this:

The fun just never stops when you drive a Lexus ;)

PLEASE, tell me what you think about the bill and the the current problems. As always, INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Ler

Sorry Ler-

After your tales of woe, I think that this car will be a constant money pit! GET OUT NOW AND CUT YOUR LOSSES!!!

From the outside the car looks great, but looks alone do NOT make a great car. You have reached a point of diminishing returns!

Bite the bullet and dump it!! Maybe this will knock some sense into you>> :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

Well lets put it this way,

My 92 es300 costed me 2350 +tt& L

ive so far spent 2200 in repairs and parts.

Making the car $4550.

That money i can never get out of it.

its a lose lose situation.

And as soon as you fix one thing , theres always soemthing else that breaks on these cars.

I got a luxury car with out the luxury experience.

Shayan and amf1932 are right.

LER. . i think it's time for a reality check. If you really want a luxury car for a cheap price, why don't you consider a salvage Lexus? Some time you can buy a fixed up one for half of the bluebook price. You can test drive it and have another shop check it out before buying it.

i agree, i think you should cut your losses and maybe get a newer generation lexus, maybe same model or different model, but yeah you're throwing more money into it than it is worth and it's just turning in to a black hole sucking up your money

Update...

I logged on and saw this advice too late, I jumped the gun like a big dummy and went ahead and got tires today.

AND THIS IS WHAT I GET

The tire guy finishes putting on the tires and comes in and tells me I'm leaking antifreeze, so I go to take a look with him. The things that hold up the hood are messed up so the guy stuck a pair of vice grips on them to hold them up while we loaded it up with antifreeze. He went to put down the hood and forgot the grips were there.....well, he put a nice little bend in the drivers side of the hood. I didn't find out till I got out the first time to do a coolant check, and I still haven't called the shop. What would you guys do?

HOWEVER, my drivers side window rolls down now...:)

I really cant believe that the tranny is acting up because it has just over 40k on it (replaced 4 months after purchase of car). Dad drove it yesterday and didn't think there was a problem at all, but I KNOW that its not right. Is there anything that can be adjusted or wrong that you can think of that would be causing this? I'm not dealing with the mechanic that put in the engine anymore, If I end up fixing the new problems, I am taking it to someone with more experience with Toyota/Lexus.

You guys are probably right, I ought to sell this damn car. Its getting a bit overwhelming, and I am COMPLETELY out of money now.

Man, THIS SUCKS!

Ler

yup, wheni got mine, it had bad cv joints, struts bottomed out, over heated, 3rd day water pump went out on the highway, burned my timing belt with it. Motor almost fell out everytime u gased it

lol

all new motor mounts, no ac, no heat, lights needles burned out.

should i keep going?

lol

its sad really.

ouch yall. I'ts hard to believe this is the lexus forum. I guess unloved lexi have their share of probs. I'm glad i have an LS and can do most of my own work.

I hate to be rude but 5 months in a shop is ridiculous. 3k to put an engine in and it takes 5 months! An engine should be in one week or less. Its not a complicated car. I would sell the car to the mech and move on... to a better maintained corolla.

I'm so sorry about your car! I'm not absolutely sure but i think toyota use a special toyota ATF. I know thats the case with the LS. Drain and refill with toyo ATF and get the dextron outta there! Hopefully that solves your tranny hiccups.

Good Luck!

ouch yall. I'ts hard to believe this is the lexus forum. I guess unloved lexi have their share of probs. I'm glad i have an LS and can do most of my own work.

I hate to be rude but 5 months in a shop is ridiculous. 3k to put an engine in and it takes 5 months! An engine should be in one week or less. Its not a complicated car. I would sell the car to the mech and move on... to a better maintained corolla.

I'm so sorry about your car! I'm not absolutely sure but i think toyota use a special toyota ATF. I know thats the case with the LS. Drain and refill with toyo ATF and get the dextron outta there! Hopefully that solves your tranny hiccups.

Good Luck!

I've heard that about Lexus only using Toyota transmission fluid. I'll check into that.

I'm not absolutely sure but i think toyota use a special toyota ATF. I know thats the case with the LS. Drain and refill with toyo ATF and get the dextron outta there! Hopefully that solves your tranny hiccups.

Good Luck!

I've heard that about Lexus only using Toyota transmission fluid. I'll check into that.

Trust me - Your 1993 ES uses Dexron-II/III ATF

It wasn't until later models that they switched to Toyota Type T-IV ATF.

I'm not absolutely sure but i think toyota use a special toyota ATF. I know thats the case with the LS. Drain and refill with toyo ATF and get the dextron outta there! Hopefully that solves your tranny hiccups.

Good Luck!

Trust me - Your 1993 ES uses Dexron-II/III ATF

It wasn't until later models that they switched to Toyota Type T-IV ATF.

I wasn't sure... i'm no es expert! At least now i know

sorry for the misinformation :)

the best thing to do is try to sell your car to the mechanic that worked on it, if you can convince him to buy it. he knows what else needs to be done and what condition the car is in. he might just fix it up and turnaround sell it for a small profit.

if you try to sell it to someone else, they might just low ball you because your car is having a transmission problem and a cracked bumper.

the expansive lesson here is that guys do give you good advice here for free on this website. take it. . . .

unless you can work on cars well at home or have money to pump into the car, i tend to tell people stay away from cars that are already 6+ years old.

Drove it to work today and decided to check something out...

Turns out that there was no transmission fluid in it :censored: .

I'm pretty much irate.

Called the mechanic today, and he came and towed it to the shop. Who knows how its gonna go from here, I put a few miles on it without knowing that it hadn't been filled. I'll let you know if I have to put ANOTHER transmission in.

Pretty good day, huh?

If its in working condition, that is, if it turns on, take it to your nearest Carmx, let them write you a check, and DO GET A MOTORCYCLE. Once you've decided on whether or not you want a motocycle, though, come to me. I can tell you about all kinds of bikes.