How many folks out there have opted to get an extended warranty for your 400h ?? We got 'em when we had or Range Rover and our Prius. The RR needed a new tranie, which would have cost $6,000 so it instantly paid for itself right there ... beside its other failures that happened between year 3 through 5 (that's when we got the 400h ... when the RR was 5 years old). The Prius warranty paid for itself when the MFD died around the 40,000 mile mark ... plus the smart key system ECU. Haven't started pricing yet, but they sure saved our !Removed! several times over.

What is the MFD? I bought an extended warranty for the Corvette and probably broke even. We elected not to buy one for the RX, since odds are good that it will not be needed. Most, if not all extended warranties have a time limit and because we drive no more than 12,000 miles per year, there wouldn't be that many miles on the odometer when the time portion of the warranty expires. I guess if you rack up the miles, an extended warranty may be tempting.

Dave

How many folks out there have opted to get an extended warranty for your 400h ?? We got 'em when we had or Range Rover and our Prius. The RR needed a new tranie, which would have cost $6,000 so it instantly paid for itself right there ... beside its other failures that happened between year 3 through 5 (that's when we got the 400h ... when the RR was 5 years old). The Prius warranty paid for itself when the MFD died around the 40,000 mile mark ... plus the smart key system ECU. Haven't started pricing yet, but they sure saved our !Removed! several times over.

Sorry 'bout that. MFD is the "Multi Function Display" and in it's 1st year (which was incorporated into the Prius) it flaked out on a bunch of cars. Typically, when the MFD was crapping out, it would simply take 30 or 40 seconds to switch from one screen to another. We didn't have the luxury of the MFD failing under the factory warranty ... but the extended warranty picked it up. Rebuilt, the MFD went for $1,500 plus labor. The extended warranty (bumper to bumper) went for about $950) picked up the cost. Yea, they worked out the bugs prior to the 400h launch, thank God ... or we'd all be sweating bullets :unsure:

ok, I take it you're a no on the warranty. Any other takers?

We bought the extended warranty through 100,000 miles - have it on our Tacoma and it paid for itself with replaced transmission, have in on our SL500 and it paid for itself with rear strut replacements and since it is transferrable we decided it was worth the cost with a new model. Prorated refund if we sell the car and don't transfer it to the new owner (e.g. selling to CARMAX).

We bought the extended warranty through 100,000 miles - have it on our Tacoma and it paid for itself with replaced transmission, have in on our SL500 and it paid for itself with rear strut replacements and since it is transferrable we decided it was worth the cost with a new model. Prorated refund if we sell the car and don't transfer it to the new owner (e.g. selling to CARMAX).

Consumer Reports doesn't recommend it for a vehicle with "this high of a reliability rating".

Nice, huh?

Consumer Reports doesn't recommend it for a vehicle with "this high of a reliability rating".

Nice, huh?

Wow !! Very nice, and unbelievable.

The reliability factor of a car must calculate into the cost of the warranty. I mean that's the way it is with homeowner's insurance ... you live in a high fire risk area, and your fire policy is much higher, than say, areas of Washington state, where there's a ton of rain. So it seems like the RX-400h warranty would be super cheep. I haven't priced one yet ... but I wanted to get a feel for what other 400h owners thought.

Our Prius extended warranty (which already paid for itself by using it to repair 2 big ticket items) was on a car with high reliability, but it cost about the same as our Range Rover warranty ... and yet the RR is notoriously unreliable. So far, it seems like folks here aren't too concerned with putting the 400h on the extended warranty. The dealer said we didn't have to buy it right away, but we're up to 20K miles. So we'll have to decide in the not too distant future.

The dealer said we didn't have to buy it right away, but we're up to 20K miles. So we'll have to decide in the not too distant future.

You have up until the last day of your factory warranty to purchase the extended warranty.

I purchased the extended warranty when I purchased the vehicle. Here was my logic. I have always bought new cars and then kept them for around 8 to 10 years. If you weren't going to keep your 400h for over 7 years, I wouldn't buy the warranty.

The cost was $2435 which is a lot. However, if the energy monitor goes out after the original warranty period, it costs $6,000 to replace. Think of all the motors that your car has - seats, windows, mirrors, windshield wipers, back door, etc. Think of all the electrical equipment and computers that could go bad before 100,000. Then there is the engine and non-hybrid drive train that is only covered to 70,000 (I think - or is it just to 50,000?). Will the CV Boots last until 100,000?So it doesn't take much, really, to go wrong to get back the $2435.

To me it's the piece on mind of knowing that I will have no major expenses to 100,000 or 7 years. Because we all know that when unexpected expenses happen, its always at the worse possible time.

I purchased the extended warranty when I purchased the vehicle. Here was my logic. I have always bought new cars and then kept them for around 8 to 10 years. If you weren't going to keep your 400h for over 7 years, I wouldn't buy the warranty.

The cost was $2435 which is a lot. However, if the energy monitor goes out after the original warranty period, it costs $6,000 to replace. Think of all the motors that your car has - seats, windows, mirrors, windshield wipers, back door, etc. Think of all the electrical equipment and computers that could go bad before 100,000. Then there is the engine and non-hybrid drive train that is only covered to 70,000 (I think - or is it just to 50,000?). Will the CV Boots last until 100,000?So it doesn't take much, really, to go wrong to get back the $2435.

To me it's the piece on mind of knowing that I will have no major expenses to 100,000 or 7 years. Because we all know that when unexpected expenses happen, its always at the worse possible time.

You're preaching to the choire, here! Yea, the 2 extended warranties we bought for other cars paid for their selves, and then some. But I'm going to keep shopping for the lowest price. Fore example, on our other cars, we found there was as much as a 200 % difference in price. Thanks for the feedback and the price.

I got the car in mid Oct 07 with a 3 year 36,000 lease, I only have a little over 5,000 on it now but I will start adding miles when I move to and drive back and forth to SC. I doubt if I will have over 24,000 miles when I turn it in so a warrantee doesn't make sense to me