Help! Ac Condenser Drain Hose Is Clogged, Getting Water In Floorbo

Wow... this must be a record - 50+ views of a question without any replies (not counting my own).

I discovered that I cannot put my car on ramps unless I want to damage the front bumper; I jacked the driver's side front up and placed a stationary jack under to hold it up while I took a look - I have NO idea still, even after having this underside of the car almost mashing me in my near-sighted face, where this weep hole or drip hose is.

I would REALLY like a photo or diagram of this. The Lexus dealer wants to charge $350 for this, and likely more. They want to uninstall the front carpet. Imagine the labor on that...

my old 98' gs3 did the same thing....if you open the hood stand on the passenger side and look along the back firewall...if my memory serves me correct you should see it with no problem. It just looks like a rubber hose about 4 inches long sticking out. . They tend to get clogged over time. I pulled it out to clear the tube and water POURED out. As a person who has someone else change my oil, i would defidently consider it a D.I.Y. job....No ramps or even tools were nessesary. I think it was just held in by a rubber grommet. It's been a year ago but i remember it was a piece of cake;) Happy hunting!

my old 98' gs3 did the same thing....if you open the hood stand on the passenger side and look along the back firewall...if my memory serves me correct you should see it with no problem. It just looks like a rubber hose about 4 inches long sticking out. . They tend to get clogged over time. I pulled it out to clear the tube and water POURED out. As a person who has someone else change my oil, i would defidently consider it a D.I.Y. job....No ramps or even tools were nessesary. I think it was just held in by a rubber grommet. It's been a year ago but i remember it was a piece of cake;) Happy hunting!

Thanks Scott!

I haven't even looked on the passenger side. I assumed it would be on the drivers, as that's where the water has been pooling up.

OK - I found it and I poked a stiff wire into it. I have now seen a puddle on the driveway after driving the car, where there was none before. How can you remove it from the firewall completely? it looks permanently attached, like it will be literally torn if I pull it off. Is this just deceptive, or is it really permanently attached?

thanks!

I would not remove it, the water will drain down the firewall, just unclog it. By the way the parts counter at most dealerships are more receptive to showing you pictures of the part and where they are located in their drawings. Parts people are a whole lot more friendly and they dont charge you for the info. Just a tip I have learned.

• 3 weeks later...
I would not remove it, the water will drain down the firewall, just unclog it. By the way the parts counter at most dealerships are more receptive to showing you pictures of the part and where they are located in their drawings. Parts people are a whole lot more friendly and they dont charge you for the info. Just a tip I have learned.

I had only a temporary victory with this repair. I poked a wire into the hose and the condensate resumed falling on the driveway for a short time. Then it stopped again. I removed the hose and poked around some more (gently) with a screwdriver tip, then (with difficulty) put the hose back on (all the way, like it originally was) and have had no condensate dripping from it since. The water still collects under the driver's floor mat.

Would there be any benefit in blasting compressed air into the hose? Or, shall I purchase a fleet !Removed! and squeeze it up this hose, hoping to loosen the debris? I cannot envision what the inside of this drain area must look like and how big or small the constipation is.

Am I at the point where I have to let a qualified technician fix this? I am driving without the floor mat (but with a towel on the floorboard to soak the excess water up).

This is really annoying...

• 2 weeks later...

I had only a temporary victory with this repair. I poked a wire into the hose and the condensate resumed falling on the driveway for a short time. Then it stopped again. I removed the hose and poked around some more (gently) with a screwdriver tip, then (with difficulty) put the hose back on (all the way, like it originally was) and have had no condensate dripping from it since. The water still collects under the driver's floor mat.

Would there be any benefit in blasting compressed air into the hose? Or, shall I purchase a fleet !Removed! and squeeze it up this hose, hoping to loosen the debris? I cannot envision what the inside of this drain area must look like and how big or small the constipation is.

Am I at the point where I have to let a qualified technician fix this? I am driving without the floor mat (but with a towel on the floorboard to soak the excess water up).

I had posted the same problem as few weeks back on this site. I am glad you are getting some answers.

Turns out I know a tech. that works at the Lexus dealership by my house. The rubber drain hose attaches on the passenger side under the carpet at the very top, by the back of the glove box. There is the rubber hose that comes through the firewall and attaches to a plastic tube that come from the condenser. Simply pull it apart and clean the rubber hose out.

My hose was completely clear by the way. So if yours is too the next bit of information will make you very upset.

The problem is the seal on the condenser drain is bad, not the part the seal. This really bites because you have to take the whole dash out to reseal the drain. My friend told me he would do it at his house but it would take him all day!

I will keep you posted on whatever solution I reach because I am tempted to do it myself.

make sure you didnt damage the drain hose, most flooded cars come in after someone like a quicklube place tore off the hose or shoved it up in the car to keep it from draining on them. The hose is located under the passenger side of the car near the firewall and is just a black hose hanging there.

I had posted the same problem as few weeks back on this site. I am glad you are getting some answers.

Turns out I know a tech. that works at the Lexus dealership by my house. The rubber drain hose attaches on the passenger side under the carpet at the very top, by the back of the glove box. There is the rubber hose that comes through the firewall and attaches to a plastic tube that come from the condenser. Simply pull it apart and clean the rubber hose out.

My hose was completely clear by the way. So if yours is too the next bit of information will make you very upset.

The problem is the seal on the condenser drain is bad, not the part the seal. This really bites because you have to take the whole dash out to reseal the drain. My friend told me he would do it at his house but it would take him all day!

I will keep you posted on whatever solution I reach because I am tempted to do it myself.

Please let me know how this goes. It would be great if you could take pictures of each step of the process and share them here!

Bill

had same issue with my 98 sc300 it has a sun roof and drain holes were plugged. you must be careful not to loosen hose. i got a straw from wawa it fit in the hose (exhausr ports both in front and back of sun roof) then I got weed wacker nylon wire and threaded it through the hose, thats why you need straw to strighten out nylon wire so it will feed down the water exhaust hose. i fed it down the tubeall the way to the bottom of the car and it cleaned out the clogs.

had same issue with my 98 sc300 it has a sun roof and drain holes were plugged. you must be careful not to loosen hose. i got a straw from wawa it fit in the hose (exhausr ports both in front and back of sun roof) then I got weed wacker nylon wire and threaded it through the hose, thats why you need straw to strighten out nylon wire so it will feed down the water exhaust hose. i fed it down the tubeall the way to the bottom of the car and it cleaned out the clogs.

this sounds like something worth trying...

thanks!

this sounds like something worth trying...

thanks!

I wonder what would happen if I inserted a high pressure wand in the end of the drip hose and blasted water in, !Removed!-style?

I am wondering... if the seal on the condenser drain is bad, why would I have had a brief success in getting it to drip properly after the first time I attempted to clean it out? It stopped soon thereafter, but the fact that it was draining at all could mean that it might just be a stubborn clog?

• 1 month later...

This problem is only getting worse now. In addition to the driver's floorboard getting wet from this, the rear passenger-side floorboard is now getting wet (not the one behind the driver though). I saw lots of water dripping under the car the other day from area under the center of the interior, probably right below the AC vents for the rear passengers.

Does this help shed new light on what the real problem might be for anyone reading this?

• 9 months later...
This problem is only getting worse now. In addition to the driver's floorboard getting wet from this, the rear passenger-side floorboard is now getting wet (not the one behind the driver though). I saw lots of water dripping under the car the other day from area under the center of the interior, probably right below the AC vents for the rear passengers.

Does this help shed new light on what the real problem might be for anyone reading this?

I have a 99 GS300 that had a similiar problem... Turns out the evaporator case had a small pinhole leak, I had a mechanic friend of mine take the dash apart, remove evap box and reseal. Lexus will NOT REPLACE the evap box alone, they want you to buy the whole assembly @ $1600 dollars plus another $1000 for labor. Imagine, spending 25% of the book value of your car to fix it- LOL. Good luck with you vehicle.