Griot's Garage

I've seen several old posts commenting on the high quality of Griot's Garage products. Does anyone have any favorite products? My hubby bought the starter kit w/buffer for his S4, but I'm curious about some of the other products, specifically the leather wipes & glass kit. Thanks!

I'm not a fan of Griot's. Most of the stuff he sells is simply rebranded as his and then marked up in price. Its a good catalog to flip through while you're on the can, but you're better off reading the reviews here and on Autopia and buying from the direct manufacturers.

• 2 weeks later...
Its a good catalog to flip through while you're on the can, but you're better off reading the reviews here and on Autopia and buying from the direct manufacturers.
LOL That's true! :lol: The only thing I've ever bought from them is the Leather rejuvinator, and that was a mistake. It smells bad; it doesn't have that leather smell or make the seats softer like Lexol does.

I like invisible glass and newspaper for the glass...

I do like the Lexol wipes for the leather.... maybe I'll get stocked up again.

The newspaper trick won't work for me, unless someone can figure out how to put it on a stick. The only way I can reach the entire windshield is to use the micro fiber on a handle with product on it. The dash in the RX is crazy long & I can't reach the glass!! :cries:

Thanks for your input!

What does the leather product smell like?
To me, the leather rejuvinator smells like 1 part Yankee Car Jar leather and 1 part a mixture of all the chemicals under my kitchen sink. Too much chemical smell, and not enough leather smell. I don't know if the leather is coated in the RX330 or not, but if it is, regular cleaning is more important than conditioning is.

I'm not a fan of Griot's. Most of the stuff he sells is simply rebranded as his and then marked up in price. Its a good catalog to flip through while you're on the can, but you're better off reading the reviews here and on Autopia and buying from the direct manufacturers.

Groit's was the first company that most detailers became aware of that was using private labelling (re-seller) It is now very much prevailant in the car care product marketplace.

Private Labelling:

Private label (i.e. Chemical Guys, Lake County, etc) is a term used to describe selling one company's product or service under another company’s name (what is generally termed a’ reseller’) they will repackage their product using you logos, colours, company image etc. The product or service becomes branded to the re-seller’s company; increasing profit margins as there are no R&D costs nor is a large inventory required, thus allowing for larger product availably coupled with the ability to build brand recognition and awareness amongst your clients through your own marketing efforts

They will also aid in the formulation of your own unique product, given an idea of what you are looking for in a product and they can probably formulate it. All product scent, fragrance, colour, viscosity, thickness, look and feel can also be custom tailored to your needs once the product and packaging is agreed upon.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used quite a few of their products - leather wipes, interior cleaning wipes, speed shine, wheel cleaner, fine hand polish, just to name a few. I really like the results that I have seen with all of these products. If you are interested, they sell a lot of their products in small sample-like sizes to see if you like them or not. Plus they have a satisfaction guarantee that can't be overlooked if you do not like what you purchased. Happy detailing!!!

Thanks! I did get the speed shine wipes for bird crap emergencies. But my hubby bought the starter kit.... I thought it cost $180 - the receipt was for over $300!! Needless to say, we now have a ton of their products. I'm looking for something like their glass cleaner - not the chemical but the pad on a stick type thing. Advance doesn't carry them anymore. Any suggestions? I wasn't wanting the Griot's kit because I just need the handle thing with the m/f on it, not the 3 different pads. I know everyone says to use newspaper for glass - I can't reach the bottom of the glass on the inside of the RX - really long dash. Any thoughts?

What do you think about the leather wipes? Have you used the ones from Lexol - if so, how do they compare? I have the conditioner & cleaner from Lexol but will need wipes to clean in between the big job.

Thanks MD!

You're welcome!! No experience with Lexol products so I am unable to comment, but do stay away from Armorall's wipes, they're crappy. What I like about the leather wipes from Griot's is that they are convenient, easy to use, no mess, and cleans lighty soiled areas, conditioning the leather at the same time. The fragrance is hard to describe but I like it, as do my friends that ride with me. Kinda manly-leathery type of smell if that helps. I use the wipes once a month and my seats still look like new (especially the sides on the bottom cushion which is subject to the most wear & tear) on my almost year old GS350. I do have to tell you about after conditioning the seats, the seats will not be slick to slide across on, but after a few days, they will be just right. Try them out, I think you'll like the wipes.

Like you, I've been eyeing that handled glass-mop-sort-a-thing that Griot's sell. The corners on the GS's glass are difficult to get in to. I can not think of any alternatives other than possibly using a Swifter (used for kitchen/hardwood flooring) type of contraption but the end part with the pad would be too big to get down in to the corners well enough to be effective. I saw just last night as I was thumbing through an Autosport catalog that I received a similar type of glass cleaner on a stick that Griot's sells. Do not recall the price or if they just sell the wand part without the pads. Just check'em out and see what you find. Maybe an inquiry to Griot to see if they will just sell the wand and not the kit might be worth the effort. Good luck in your search!! :cheers:

Thanks! I did get the speed shine wipes for bird crap emergencies. But my hubby bought the starter kit.... I thought it cost $180 - the receipt was for over $300!! Needless to say, we now have a ton of their products. I'm looking for something like their glass cleaner - not the chemical but the pad on a stick type thing. Advance doesn't carry them anymore. Any suggestions? I wasn't wanting the Griot's kit because I just need the handle thing with the m/f on it, not the 3 different pads. I know everyone says to use newspaper for glass - I can't reach the bottom of the glass on the inside of the RX - really long dash. Any thoughts?

What do you think about the leather wipes? Have you used the ones from Lexol - if so, how do they compare? I have the conditioner & cleaner from Lexol but will need wipes to clean in between the big job.

Thanks MD!

Lexol is a great product, It's all I ever use. :cheers:

Lexol is a great product, It's all I ever use. :cheers:

Any advise on using the Lexol cleaner / conditioner? I read & understand the instructions & have looked at other posts in here looking for further tips. Have found a few.

Lexol is a great product, It's all I ever use.:cheers:

Any advise on using the Lexol cleaner / conditioner? I read & understand the instructions & have looked at other posts in here looking for further tips. Have found a few.

I only clean the leather once a year, Not everytime I condition. I use my bare hand to work the conditioner into the leather. Preferably on a warm day, Then I close all the windows and let it (bake) in then lightly wipe off ant excess if there is any.

I use my bare hand to work the conditioner into the leather. Preferably on a warm day, Then I close all the windows and let it (bake) in then lightly wipe off ant excess if there is any.

This gives new meaning to a chair massage! How long do you let it sit for?

I use my bare hand to work the conditioner into the leather. Preferably on a warm day, Then I close all the windows and let it (bake) in then lightly wipe off ant excess if there is any.

This gives new meaning to a chair massage! How long do you let it sit for?

Couple of hours.

Kinda manly-leathery type of smell if that helps.

Yum-o!!

Like you, I've been eyeing that handled glass-mop-sort-a-thing that Griot's sell.

Ok, I bought this as a starting point: E-Bay item# 330146049527 http://cgi.ebay.com/Glass-Wizard-Glass-Cle...1QQcmdZViewItem

I know it's probably cheap plastic, but I'll see if I like the method.

To clean the glass I use a handled bonnet thing I bought from Autosport magazine. I am usually not a gadget getter but this thing makes cleaning the windshield and the rear glass much easier!!! After I Armorall the dash I almost allways get some on the windshield where they meet. This thing is thin enough to get down between the windshield and dash with no problem. And of course I use Stoners glass cleaner.

Yep, I'm normally not into gadgets either, but my windshield is a mess. I just think I'm too short to be able to reach all of the areas well. I'm using Eagle One 20/20 cleaner that my hubby bought. I'm hoping once I get the handle, things will be a bit more clear. I use 303 on my dash. I was spraying it directly onto my dash & kept making more of a mess on my glass. Now I spray the product onto the m/f then wipe my dash - that problem has been eliminated.

I did Lexol my seats yesterday - wow they look great! Just dumping the dirty water was proof that the cleaner was working (ewww!) - now I feel like it's my car & not someone else's seconds. Much better!

I guess I'll have to look into this lexol stuff. I've been a pretty loyal Armor all cutomer for a long time. Iv'e been using the new Gel series stuff. The dash and trim is nice because it's not to shiney. The leather gel I thought worked well also. But you guys are all talking about how good the Lexol smells, HHmm, I like the leather smell too. Is it at any auto part store? I don't remember seeing it.