Dash Board Problem

ilia

Has anyone had a problem with the quality of their dash....? After one month of owning my ES, I wiped the dash....soft cloth....and what a mess....now it has been dyed to cover the scratches....but I find that I am having the same problem with the vinyl on the doors...I don't dare touch the dash....but am I the only person with issues? I contacted Lexus and they report no other complaints....My previous cars...which included BMW's...were never so "touchy"....I feel like everything I touch in this car turns bad....it seems to be of very poor quality.....just wondering how you ES folks are cleaning your cars...

Thanks....

What kind of towel are you using when you wipe the dash?

The new ES and IS use some sort of dash material that has a very strange grain and feels very strange...

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone had a problem with the quality of their dash....? After one month of owning my ES, I wiped the dash....soft cloth....and what a mess....now it has been dyed to cover the scratches....but I find that I am having the same problem with the vinyl on the doors...I don't dare touch the dash....but am I the only person with issues? I contacted Lexus and they report no other complaints....My previous cars...which included BMW's...were never so "touchy"....I feel like everything I touch in this car turns bad....it seems to be of very poor quality.....just wondering how you ES folks are cleaning your cars...

Thanks....

I am using a microfiber cloth....can't get much softer....when I went to the dealership the other day, they advised that I not use anything on the dash or side door panels except water....well water just doesn't do much to keep vinyl looking nice....are they just saying that to protect themselves or does water just keep your vinyl clean and conditioned? Thanks

Ilia

Thanks....

I am using a microfiber cloth....can't get much softer....when I went to the dealership the other day, they advised that I not use anything on the dash or side door panels except water....well water just doesn't do much to keep vinyl looking nice....are they just saying that to protect themselves or does water just keep your vinyl clean and conditioned? Thanks

Ilia

Meguairs is very good, but Lexus dealers use Simonize for exteriors and interiors of vehicles.

• 1 year later...

Thanks....

I had the same problem...just weeks after purchasing it brand new. I was sick when I saw all the scratches that the microfiber cloth made. I phoned the Lexus dealer thinking there would be some product I could use to minimize or get rid of the scratches but was told use water only with a soft cloth. They expressed surprise (almost disbelief) that a microfiber rag would do this. I have searched and searched for a solution to get rid of the dust that is attracted to the dash (which is a slightly grippy or sticky-type material) but have found none. Consequently, I delay dusting for as long as possible, then just barely go over it with a microfiber rag, but even that still scratches it. The dash looks terrible in certain light. If anyone knows a solution to this problem, I would be so grateful.

That new dash material is a weird material.

It certainly is!!! In fact, I was always wondering how to clean it, but so far I just lightly take the dust off with a terry cloth towel, but it still looks somewhat flaky. :D

The duster is probably your best bet, or if you clean it I wouldn't wipe it dry, make sure you use a cleaner...

It's a weird type of plastic that has some sort of grain to minimize reflections, so I'd really be afraid to experiment with cleaners that are really not designed to handle this type of material. In reality though......it doesn't look that bad after owning this car for over 3 years.

Somrthing else.......I just noticed a dart spot on the headliner and I was wondering how to clean that??? :rolleyes:

I am kind of curious what you people are getting on your dashes! ;) I have used a duster since owning the car and I have had no problems. Also, I use soap/water on the vinyl door coverings etc.; I don’t think you need to condition the vinyl, only the leather.

I have used the water/woolite mixture 5:1 or 6:1 with micro fiber towels with no problem, I also use the Sonus cockpit detailer. This repels the dust for some time and protects it from UV. No scratches... What I have found is that it can scuff easily when people cross their legs and put the side of their shoe soles, cutting into the dash. I was a little disappointed in the farigility of the material, but with time the scuffs aren't visible any more. Plus, I tell my son to be very careful when putting on his shoes on the way to basketball practice!

If anyone ever crosses their legs and hits my dash with their shoe they will feel three things in this order: a massive brake-check, my shoe smashing into their kidney and last but not least, pavement. ;)

I was cleaning my car last night, and cleaning/conditioning the leather – when I came to the dash I tried the Lexol leather conditioner on a small spot using a soft, damp cloth. Afterwards, I applied it to the entire dash, it gave it a nice clean, nourished look without making it shiny (I hate the shiny Armor All look). This morning it was still looking great – I think this will be my new method.

Lexol products can be found at any AutoZone type store and are pretty cheap – they seem to work great.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2009 and I consistently clean my dash with no problems....using a damp micro-cloth...I recommend Aerospace 303. Read the reviews on this product. If you are 'anal' about your car then this is the real deal!!.......... :cheers:

I have a 2009 and I consistently clean my dash with no problems....using a damp micro-cloth...I recommend Aerospace 303. Read the reviews on this product. If you are 'anal' about your car then this is the real deal!!..........:cheers:

Thanks for the mentionof Aerospace. Their Website offers a sampler kit for $5.00. I just ordered some.

Regarding the dash, I think the most important thing is to use a DAMP cloth or microfiber towel, with whatever product you choose. If you try using a dry towel on the dust/grime it is definitely not going to look good.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the 303 for the interior personally, I think its a little too high gloss. I use a product called Ultima Interior Guard that works well.

303 works great on seals and exterior trim though...

I use a wet mf with my wash soap (ultima wash) with to remove any dust --wipe away some dirt from kids shoes etc...

than i treat interior with Sonus cockpit detailer (cleaner and uv protector) both leave a matte finish--and help keep interior looking lint dust free for a while.

I love the sonus kit. Got a free sample of fk-1 wood detailer when ordered my Quik detalier fk 425 stuff and it works well on the wood.

i have black on black and the somnus goes on both leather and vinyl.

For whoever is marring up the interior i find it hard to believe that a Clean MF (where did u get the towel from?) will marr up the interior? sounds like it is dirty or picked up some debris on it (was it dropped?)

I bought all my Mf's online no issues

g luck!

Ps - i also use the ultima interior guard like 3-4 x a year to seal the interior---- My car is bout 1.5 years old now 08 350 --interior i am told lokoks brand new--key i think is to stay on top and not the interior degrade or get dirty and stay dirty, clean at least every 2 weeks--obviously more when dirty (arrghhh kids!!!)

• 5 years later...

This is much later than your original post, but owners of 2006-8 era Lexus cars may still be having this problem. The dash and door panels of our 2006 IS250 became softer and stickier over time. Apparently, Lexus used a material on some of these cars that didn't stand up, especially in hotter climates. There was a technical service bulletin on it. I think if you take it to the dealer and complain about how it has held up, you might get some help. We did and Lexus covered replacement of the dash and one door. We paid for the other (still cost $1300). Now the interior looks brand new and we've decided to keep the car instead of getting a new IS.

The interior on my 2004 ES330 is still perfect after 10 years and 100,000 miles. Gray leather and matching. I use a damp with water terry cloth towel to clean the interior. I had the window tinted to Virginia legal (50%) which mainly diminishes the UV penetration. Lexol leather cleaner and good to go. I also find microfiber towels leave fuzz. In fact they are even weird to touch sometimes.

• 2 months later...

A few days ago I received a notice form Lexus that they are initiating a Warranty Enhancement Program to cover the problems of "cracked and/or sticky/melting" dashboards in covered vehicles as a result of heat or humidity. The covered vehicles include the 2007-2008 ES 350. There are timeline restrictions with a date of May 31, 2017 as a cutoff on Primary Coverage. All the details are included in the material Lexus sent. I have not had any dashboard problems with my 2008 ES350 even living in Northern Virginia. I do not regularly park my car, however, in sunny hot locations in the summer so that may have something to do with the lack of deterioration. If you are registered with the Lexus warranty program I would expect that you should receive this notice as well.