Lockpick - Nav/phone Unlocking Kit

cgazsc

has anyone had a look at this: http://www.coastaletech.com/basic_lockpick1.htm

Sounds very interesting to me, especially the ability to use the phone dialing while in motion. Also sounds simple to install, with no "under the dash" stuff.

I have a 2004 LS430 and installed the Lockpick 1 in it. My experience has been very satisfying. I ordered it on a Saturday night, and got it the following Thursday afternoon. Removing the radio was fairly easy, but removing the navigation system was a little scary. I just recommend you take your time and be very careful when removing and replacing any and all parts of the dash. Use towels to protect the wood, and cover prying tools with tape. A magnetic phillips screwdriver, and a # 8 box end wrench are a necessity. The instructions that come with the Lockpick are of no help in installing it in a LS. As far as how it works, it has done everything I expected. I can use my bluetooth phone features and insert destinations while driving. I also have a direct RCA input for my MP3 player, although on a strong radio station I have gotten some feed thru between songs, but not frequent enough to be concerned about . I have not tried the video part yet, and see no reason why I will. I also like it when you start the car and the "I Agree" scene comes on and within seconds the I agree button lights up, and the map screen appears. I think it was an excellent investment, and the 60-90 minutes it took for the install was well worth it.

Sounds very interesting to me, especially the ability to use the phone dialing while in motion. Also sounds simple to install, with no "under the dash" stuff.

I have a 2004 LS430 and installed the Lockpick 1 in it. My experience has been very satisfying. I ordered it on a Saturday night, and got it the following Thursday afternoon. Removing the radio was fairly easy, but removing the navigation system was a little scary. I just recommend you take your time and be very careful when removing and replacing any and all parts of the dash. Use towels to protect the wood, and cover prying tools with tape. A magnetic phillips screwdriver, and a # 8 box end wrench are a necessity. The instructions that come with the Lockpick are of no help in installing it in a LS. As far as how it works, it has done everything I expected. I can use my bluetooth phone features and insert destinations while driving. I also have a direct RCA input for my MP3 player, although on a strong radio station I have gotten some feed thru between songs, but not frequent enough to be concerned about . I have not tried the video part yet, and see no reason why I will. I also like it when you start the car and the "I Agree" scene comes on and within seconds the I agree button lights up, and the map screen appears. I think it was an excellent investment, and the 60-90 minutes it took for the install was well worth it.

"Removing the radio..."?? I thought it was a simple connection under the driver's seat. According to the web page, it's a 5 minute deal. I also have a 2004 LS430 and in no way am I going to remove the radio and nav system! How long ago did you install yours?

This was a kit that you got from the web site or did they sent text on "how to"?

Can you post some picture. Any one has pictures or text Email me shaw2010@netscape.net

thanks

Shaw

"Removing the radio..."?? I thought it was a simple connection under the driver's seat. According to the web page, it's a 5 minute deal. I also have a 2004 LS430 and in no way am I going to remove the radio and nav system! How long ago did you install yours?

I am at a bit of a loss as to the point of this unit.

Doesn't it accomplish exactly the same thing as the override input that you can do whenever starting the car? Ie: Hit menu, volume, tap upper right, lower right etc until the override screen pops up.

Pushing 7 keys that take all of 5 seconds seems to be a safer (no disassembly required) and cheaper (although this is almost irrelevant) way to accomplish the same thing. I'd have to enter the override code more than 600 times before it became worth my time to take apart the head unit.

Am I missing something?

I am at a bit of a loss as to the point of this unit.

Doesn't it accomplish exactly the same thing as the override input that you can do whenever starting the car? Ie: Hit menu, volume, tap upper right, lower right etc until the override screen pops up.

Pushing 7 keys that take all of 5 seconds seems to be a safer (no disassembly required) and cheaper (although this is almost irrelevant) way to accomplish the same thing. I'd have to enter the override code more than 600 times before it became worth my time to take apart the head unit.

Am I missing something?

The phone...you can't dial on the phone while the car is in motion! There are some other benefits (MP3 input, etc.), but the phone is the biggest headache!

Believe me it is more than just plugging something in under the seat. The whole center radio stack has to be removed, from the power button panel to the nav screen. I installed mine about a month ago. Go to www.clublexus.com and look at the LS430 forum. A member over there just posted a very good tutorial, with pictures, on how to install the lockpick. Removing the center stack was scary as I previously stated, but it is doable, and I have no squeaks or rattles. Appearance wise, there is no indication it was ever removed. Good Luck on whatever decision you make.