Auto Tilt Steering Wheel Fixes Implemented On Production Line

Bat Masterson

Can anyone tell me when the problem with the noisy/smoothness issues were fixed on the production line for the 2000 LS400 line?

There was a TSB that came out in May 2000 and another member mentioned they were fixed by the time his rolled off in June of 2000.

My car was manufactuered in March of 2000.

The dealer also stated that the fix for the loud rubbing sound when the auto tilt is moving into place is about $450. That involves 2 bushings and a 'tube' of some sort + labor.

The actual service tech said that it was not a simple lubrication issue which sux.

So if that is the problem...I will get them to disable that feature when they are putting in the $2000 free ECU for my new Master Key Replacement disaster.

What a way to start off owning such a nice car huh? I'm coming from a sweet 96' land cruiser so not a big deal just sort of depressing out of the gate. No one needs to sell me on these awesome machines.

Signed--ticked off but happy driver of a new (to me) 2000 LS400 Ultra Machine (Black Platinum Series with Nakamichi Stereo)

Here are two TSIBs on issues with the 98-00 LS400 steering wheel.

The $450 repair you mentioned is likely the one where the flexible steering column cable is replaced with a shaft.

The other TSIB repair is far more expensive.

Tilt__Telescopic_Steering_Column_TISB.pdf

Steering_column_noise_TSIB.pdf

Here is two TSIBs on issues with the 98-00 LS400 steering wheel.

The $450 repair you mentioned is likely the one where the flexible steering column cable is replaced with a shaft.

The other TSIB repair is far more expensive.

The $450 is for 2 bushings and the tube. I found out the parts cost about $80 with about $370 in labor. I could probably do it myself if I had the time.

No noise on the tilt just telescopic.

Lexus-Parts.com also is very helpful and provides great service and a copy of the diagram and TSB.