2001 Is300 - 1st To 2nd Gear Jolt

JustRod

How's it going guys...New guy in, i just acquired a 2001 Lexus IS 300 from a family member. This is my 1st Lexus i've ever driven...I was wondering if any of you guys experience an Jolt from an IS 300 after a complete stop. My cousin told me there's a problem with the tranny (1st to 2nd gears). I'm not sure if he's right?

Anybody else experience this? Any suggestions how to fix it? Oh, and i was wondering the longevity to Lexus IS' before problems occur (Mileage wise--i.e. 90,000 or 100,000)

Much thanks for any type of help Ladies and gents...

yeah, theres a problem with the tranny. Mine shifts so smooth you can barely feel it. That's upshifting and down shifting. I would take it in and see if maybe the bands just need to be adjusted. As far as the mileage thats not even close to a problem. When you hit 230,000+ miles I would start getting concerned about wear on the engine, provided oil changes and etc. etc.

I don't know about a jolt. Most 2001 models had a TSB that called for a reflash of the transmission ECU because of early downshifts and a sluggish shift from 1st to 2nd. These were all fixed for free. I believe there was also a reflash of the engine ECU as well. Check with the first owner and see if they had that done. Usually they put a sticker under the hood when the dealer fixed this.

Cool deal...3 hours ago, i spoke to a Toyota/Lexus Service manager and he informed me that a Timing belt might need to be repalced. I'm not sure if that's relevant, but hey, i'll give it shot since my cousin will be paying for the Timing belt.

I'll make sure to ask about a re-flash on the ECU as well as the Engine.

My Uncle used to own a Toyota Dealership...would it be adviseable to take it to Toyota to re-flash the ECU/ENGINE. I hear Lexus dealerships can be quite costly...Just pondering, that's all.

Once again...Much thanks for the info.

Cool deal...3 hours ago, i spoke to a Toyota/Lexus Service manager and he informed me that a Timing belt might need to be repalced. I'm not sure if that's relevant, but hey, i'll give it shot since my cousin will be paying for the Timing belt.

I'll make sure to ask about a re-flash on the ECU as well as the Engine.

My Uncle used to own a Toyota Dealership...would it be adviseable to take it to Toyota to re-flash the ECU/ENGINE. I hear Lexus dealerships can be quite costly...Just pondering, that's all.

Once again...Much thanks for the info.

Let the dealer flash it.