Airbag Conflict

Hey everyone.

I've recently purchased a 1994 Lexus SC400, and I gotta say...its ridiculously nice car for me to be driving right now! I never envisioned owning something like this as an 18yr old.

I've been overlooking the forums, and have a couple of conflicts I need to take care of. I can't tell if there's an airbag present in the steering wheel, and the Air Bag light is on. It was taken to a Lexus dealership, and they were uncertain about it because the mechanic couldn't pull a code off it. My father thinks there IS one, because from the way everything looks it appears as though nothing has been tampered with. He also thinks there may be one because the Battery in the car was replaced by the previous owner...and from what we've read on the forums here, that commonly triggers the Airbag light to come on.

Is it normal for the SRS Airbag area of the Steering Wheel to push inwards a ways when you honk the horn? It feels like nothing is there compared to other cars I've driven.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey everyone.

I've recently purchased a 1994 Lexus SC400, and I gotta say...its ridiculously nice car for me to be driving right now! I never envisioned owning something like this as an 18yr old.

I've been overlooking the forums, and have a couple of conflicts I need to take care of. I can't tell if there's an airbag present in the steering wheel, and the Air Bag light is on. It was taken to a Lexus dealership, and they were uncertain about it because the mechanic couldn't pull a code off it. My father thinks there IS one, because from the way everything looks it appears as though nothing has been tampered with. He also thinks there may be one because the Battery in the car was replaced by the previous owner...and from what we've read on the forums here, that commonly triggers the Airbag light to come on.

Is it normal for the SRS Airbag area of the Steering Wheel to push inwards a ways when you honk the horn? It feels like nothing is there compared to other cars I've driven.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There supposed to be an airbag, but it shouldn't punch in when you honk the horn. Here is a good thread that walks you through the process of how to remove the airbag, then you can see for yourself. Just make sure you disconnect the battery before doing anything with an airbag... http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...8782&page=2