Oil Change For Ls 430

greatest1

I absolutely would use synthetic on the Lexus, however Lexus specifically directs that oil change intervals should NOT be legnthened because synthetic oil is used. Oil changes are cheap, if you ever should have a problem and need Lexus to cover something relating to the engine you'll get farther if you can show you've followed their service guidelines.

I think that BMW M cars used 5W-40 and a 15W-40 synthetic. I know the dealer supplied oils are very expensive. The engines also have a oil change interval established by the ECM which monitors idling and temperature and so on.

In the Lexus I'd use Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic and change it at the normal interval. I change mine at 4-5k kilometres and think no more about it.

I have been using synthetic (Mobil 5w-30) on my LS for the past 30K miles and never been happier. I use the Toyota filter. The car runs smoother than using conventional oil. I change it every 5000 miles but thinking of reducing that to 4000. I have about 144K on the car now. As a matter of fact I use Synthetic on all my cars now. Purchased at Walmart for $20 for a 5 quart or Priceclub for $25 for 6 individual quarts. Ok one other reason I do this, is because hated changing the oil every 3000.

15k wow. Im at around 6k right now and freaking out cause I want it to get chaned but need to go by BMW and have it done. Wal-Morons broke by damn oil filter housing bolts.. I would go synthetic but what weight you use would be temo related then right? I know BMW recommends Castrol but I use Mobil Syn in my 740.

What kind of BMW do you have.

Also, I think some of the M3s actually spec'ed a 10W-60 Castrol oil. Not sure that they ever spec'ed a 15W-40 though, as that's usually a diesel oil viscosity.

I think that BMW M cars used 5W-40 and a 15W-40 synthetic. I know the dealer supplied oils are very expensive. The engines also have a oil change interval established by the ECM which monitors idling and temperature and so on.

In the Lexus I'd use Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic and change it at the normal interval. I change mine at 4-5k kilometres and think no more about it.

I would use a good oil and change it at most every 5000 miles. I don't beleive a synthetic is necessary or even helpful in a street driven (is there any other kind) LS 430 since there's not really much stress on the oil at all.

Synthetics are not necessarily better than conventional oils in normal applications like the LS 430. This was not always true in the past - 20 or 30 years ago, there were some synthetics that were vastly superior to convential oils of the time. But, in 2007, conventional oils are really, really good, and oftentimes may even be better that some synthetics. Turbos are another story, and a synthetic may be better, but, again, in a relatively unstressed, extremely well-built Lexus V-8, conventional at reasonable intervals is ideal, IMHO.

I have a BMW that uses synthetic oil change every 15K miles. Can I use the same kind of oil for my 2005 LS 430 so I don't have to do more frequent oil changes?

• 2 weeks later...

No Synthetic Oil is better than Convensional (Dino) oil. It cools your block and lubricates parts more efficiently than convensional oil because it's slightly thinner than the same weight convensional oil.

Vacation, mentioned changing your oil every 5K. Toyota and Lexus recommend 3k in the book but a lot of dealers including the guys from TRD change their oil every 6-6500 miles. This way we can keep the engine lubed for the correct amount of time without spending an arm&leg.

Just throwing my 2 cents in, but every 5,000 miles since I have owned it, my LS has had the Mobil 1 synthetic changed. Keeping it at 5K is a lot easier to remember, and it happens to coinside with the mileage that I rotate my tires also.