Nav Dvd/tire Questions

I am a new RX400h owner...2006 model, I bought it used with 35K miles on it. It is an early 2006, build date is 06/2005. i've had it about a month now and am really pleased with the purchase...my first Lexus. I do have a couple questions..

1) Since it was an early build, the Nav DVD is Ver 4.2... There are 2 versions I can find..5.1 and 6.1. Reading this forum, I have also found the work around for the "I agree" Nav requirement. As I understand it, if I put the work around in, I should no longer have to respond to the "I agree" prompt each time I drive the car. It does not work for me...at least at the current version of the DVD. I don't have a Bluetooth phone, so I don't know whether the work around solves the car in motion, phone issues. Finally the question...would upgrading the DVD to 5.1 or 6.1 enable the workaround? Obviously, I would get the benefit of the updated POIs etc also.

2) The car came with Goodyear RS-A tires on it, not the OEM Michelins. Probably due to the mileage. I find the tires noisey, especially from the rear cargo area. Since the Goodyears are likely brand new, I am not ready to drop $800-900 for a new set of Michelins, which I am told would be quieter. An alternative resolution could be to dampen the cargo area with B-Quiet or Dynamat. Has anyone here attempted using one of these products? If so, was the addition worth the effort? In addition to the Nav system, the car also has the Mark Levinson sound upgrade, so the DVD player and the amps etc would have to be temporarily removed to install the materials.

Thanks in advance for any responses or recommendations...

Bob

From what I understand, the workaround is good only for the drive before which it is entered. You have to do the routine every time, I believe.

As for tires, I bought the Bridgestone Alenzas for $600 and they are very quiet - highly recommended. I haven't read any posts regarding the installation of sound-dampening material, so you may be a pioneer of you do it.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in about the NAV versions. I have one of the first RX400hs and am considering purchase of an upgraded DVD, too.

alrighty.

1) the workaround DOES NOT remove the I agree screen in the beginning. That stays on all the time and there is not way of removing it. THe workaround only lets you enter destinations/use bluetooth while the car is in motion. Notice that the buttons block out on the nav when the car is above 5 mph. The workaround will cnacel that blockout, but not remove the i agree screen. You have to do it everytime you start the car if you want the workaround to work. Updating to a newer nav will not make it any different.

2) just random info, the goodyear RSAs were also OEM tires. Lexus had two different tire settings for these cars, either brand are OEMs. I had the goodyear for two sets, they max out at around 30K miles, and i do believe they are more noisy. At 60K i changed to the Michelines. It is noticable more quiet, though not whisper. I also think the Goodyears handle slightly better and they do not follow cracks in the road as much as the Michelines.

I hear the michelines will last to 35K, plus they're cheaper.

Some people on this site will tell you to buy the Alenzas. I would research this tire more, because if your like me, you wont like them. The goodyears and the michlines are for the suburban family household that doesnt encounter snow. The Alenzas give better traction, but in my personal opinion, they look too "butch" on such a sleek car, if you know what im saying. They look like they should be on 4 runners instead. i like the low profile look of the michelines or the goodyears.

hope this helps

Thanks for the replies..I am now straight on the "I Agree" vs the Nav/Bluetooth workaround. Further cruising of the forums and the internet took me to a place that sells a gadget called "Lockpick". There is no description on what it is specifically, but it says it will eliminate the "I Agree" screen and the need to input the workaround for the Nav/Bluetooth limitations. They also have a gadget that will allow connection of an iPod to the sound system..and be controlled, displayed thru the Nav screen, including photos and movies...might be worth an e-mail to them to get a clearer description of what the gadgets actually are.

The tire info was also appreciated. I've had Michelins on my wife's Camry. They replaced Bridgstones, which I thought rode like steel wheels, way too harsh, even at the factory recommended inflation rates. The Michelins were a softer ride, but lasted over 40K miles. I do like the Goodyears on my 4Runner, but that's a completely different scenario.

Bob

Thanks for the replies..I am now straight on the "I Agree" vs the Nav/Bluetooth workaround. Further cruising of the forums and the internet took me to a place that sells a gadget called "Lockpick". There is no description on what it is specifically, but it says it will eliminate the "I Agree" screen and the need to input the workaround for the Nav/Bluetooth limitations. They also have a gadget that will allow connection of an iPod to the sound system..and be controlled, displayed thru the Nav screen, including photos and movies...might be worth an e-mail to them to get a clearer description of what the gadgets actually are.

The tire info was also appreciated. I've had Michelins on my wife's Camry. They replaced Bridgstones, which I thought rode like steel wheels, way too harsh, even at the factory recommended inflation rates. The Michelins were a softer ride, but lasted over 40K miles. I do like the Goodyears on my 4Runner, but that's a completely different scenario.

Bob

The available i-pod connections will not show through the Nav. screen. They go through the radio LCD display.

Easiest Bluetooth workaround is cutting the Baby Blue wire to the nav.(Speed sensor) as shown in previous posts. Allows full usage of Bluetooth at any speed. Only disadvantage is the ioiogram wheels do not turn!

I agree screen is not worth worrying about! IMHO, unless you get full Nav use at speed, without setting overide.

"Butch"? Now I've heard it all! My Bridgestones are not harsh at all. In fact, we regularly receive compliments as to how smooth the ride is and I keep the pressure of each at 36 psi.post-6874-1181880713_thumb.jpg

Yes, their tread pattern is a bit agressive, but you'll be glad they are the next time you get caught in a downpour or snowfall. Michelins, while good tires, are almost always overpriced when compared to other tires of the same caliber. At least that's what I've found during my 33 years of driving.

Thanks for the replies..I am now straight on the "I Agree" vs the Nav/Bluetooth workaround.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Bob

So, your clear? Well, then let me muddy the watters :D

Costaltech sells a device (called lockpic) that deactivates the NaV nag screen. Once installed, no more nag screen, as well as the need to go through the over-ride procedure prior to inputting route info while driving. They're not the most customer friendly, but their product is only available from them ... so what can you do.

sure...i guess agressive is a better word than butch. I just think they look out of place. Im never in any snowfall so i dont really care about traction, which is why i think the michelines do a find enough job. They are cheaper than the goodyears too.

I've sent 2 e-mails to coastaltech regarding the Lockpick product, trying to get some info on what it is and how it installs..haven't heard a word back!

Has anyone purchased any of their products? Do they work, how do they install???

Thanks

Bob

If they are not helpful when they are trying to get you to send your money, how helpful will they be after you send them your money? I haven't checked in a while but unless things have been updated the product does not work on the 07 RX400H

I've sent 2 e-mails to coastaltech regarding the Lockpick product, trying to get some info on what it is and how it installs..haven't heard a word back!

Has anyone purchased any of their products? Do they work, how do they install???

Thanks

Bob

Use their phone # !! For unknown reasons, they seem to be WAY out of it, when it comes to email. Get them on the phone, and it's a whole different performance ... very nice, friendly ... just like they are when they appear at trade shows. Yea, the email thing with them is inexplicable. It IS a mom & pop business. But since they're the only folks building the override, I had to cut'em slack ;) . That being said, check your email spelling. If you didn't spell it in the following manner, it won't go through: SUPPORT@COASTALETECH.COM There is an, 'E' in the middle, and it won't go thru w/out it. We got the lockpic so we could override bluetooth phone functions. The whole nav thing was just a nice collateral benefit.

Thanks

Bob

We got the lockpic so we could override bluetooth phone functions. The whole nav thing was just a nice collateral benefit.

I bought a Garmin SP 7500 because I didn't think the L/P would work on the 07. Do you have an 07? I am very happy with the Garmin, it is much better than the Lexus NAV but it would be nice to have the blue tooth work and the songs on the radio to be displayed while the car is moving.