Cd Player Error 3

My CD player stops playing while it tries to switch to the next track. I tried to push the Eject button to get the CD out but it won't come out and display Error 3, and then power off by itself. I turned the Power back on, but it keeps displaying Error 3 and not playing. I just bought my car in January. Should I take it to the dealer and will they replace a new one for me?

Thank you.

My CD player stops playing while it tries to switch to the next track. I tried to push the Eject button to get the CD out but it won't come out and display Error 3, and then power off by itself. I turned the Power back on, but it keeps displaying Error 3 and not playing. I just bought my car in January. Should I take it to the dealer and will they replace a new one for me?

Thank you.

I have a 2008 and had the same issue. I went to my Lexus dealer and they installed a new cd-changer in 2 hours and I was on my way, no problem.

great service!!

• 1 month later...

Thank you.

I have a 2008 and had the same issue. I went to my Lexus dealer and they installed a new cd-changer in 2 hours and I was on my way, no problem.

great service!!

ANyone know what the warranty period is for the cd player? We have a 2006 RX330 that we purchased about 19 months ago, and we're now having this ERR3 problem with the cd player.

Thanks,

dd

• 4 weeks later...

Just encountered error 3 today. 6 months ago the unit was complaining about error 4, but the problem went away when i took all the cds out (had to turn the unit on and off a number of times to get the cds out) and reload the cds back in. Now the unit is complaining about error 3, so i did the same trick and got all the cds out, not sure what to do next. My car is not under warranty anymore.

Martin

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you.

I just experienced this problem. I have a 2008 rx 350. I was playing a disc and half way thru track 10 it skipped then stopped playing. I went to disc 2 and no songs would play and error 3 came up. I shut off the system and turned it back on again and the error went away. When I tried yo get back to track 10 to seei f it was still skipping I could only advance to track 5 using the track advance button . When I tried to go past 5 it just bepped when I pressed the button. I then used the button on the steering wheel and was able to advance to track 10. The track played fine and no more error messages for now! Has anyone else had any issues using the track advance button. I had not played the Cd player for about 3 months. I wonder if this would impact it some way.

• 4 months later...

I may have the answer.. Our 07 did the same thing. Had five discs in the changer and nothing would work. I left the unit on, listing to the radio, and forced the player to power on and off everytime I started and stopped the vehicle. After about a week or so, the disc popped out. I immediately threw the disc in the garbage, and the player has been working fine ever since. I don't know what type of disc you're using, by most if now all of mine are aftermarked discs that I burn mp3's onto. Every now and then, you'll come across a disc that is not perfect. These audio systems are really finicky and will throw errors on ones that are not perfect.

Hope this helps..

Ron..

• 3 years later...

I had same problem, trying to reject CD out but door jammed, trying to play others got "error 3". Searched for solution on line, maybe in this forum or others somebody said using a CD poke the door while trying reject, I tried it worked.

First I hit reject button, player made some noise, door jammed... I used a CD poked at the bottom of the slot not too hard, holding the CD at about 45 degree, guess what? CD pop out from the player, reloading different CD in (of course, threw away that problem CD) worked fine.

Trying to eject other CD, same problem. Did it again, CD reject no problem.

Conclusion, problem not from CD but from the player itself... motor or door doesn't work correctly.

My 2005 RX has 178k miles already no more warranty, I will live with it. The car still running fine.

Hope this help.

• 11 months later...

Well my 2006 RX400h is now about 7.5 years old and Error 3 on a disk in slot 6 showed up yesterday. I had no luck making LamD's suggestion work. But I found this youtube video that shows how to remove the entire unit:

It was a bit of challenge to get at the upper 2 bolts that hold in the radio but it came out pretty much as described in the video. Before dismantling the cd changer and manually extracting the cd from slot 6, I turned the unit upside down and did an "Eject All". The CD popped right out. From now on, no CD's in slot 6 for me.

Repair details:

The bezel around the shifter can easily be removed with out using any tools by sliding the between the seat console back and just using your finger nails to pry up the bezel. Should come right up. The panel with the seat heater controls and power adapter also just pops out and can be hung over the right side of the center console without unplugging the wiring harness.

The radio head unit and CD changer are held in by 4 bolts and a couple of clips on the bezel. The two bolts under the head unit are no problem to get at. The other two are a real bear. Getting the bolts out without dropping them down inside the center console is bad enough, but putting them back is even more fun. I spent more time putting them back than the rest of the entire removal and replacement.

To get at the 2 upper bolts you'll need a 3/8" or 1/4" socket (10mm) and at least an 8 inch extension. Mine's a 12". A magnetic 10mm socket is optimum. If you don't have one, you will need a magnetic pickup tool -- preferably one with an LED light.

Once you remove the 4 bolts, the radio pops right out and there's plenty of slack in the wiring harness to turn the radio upside down and eject the stuck CD.

Push the head unit and changer back in and put in the bottom 2 bolts. I then wish you all the luck in gettng the upper two bolts back in. Truth is, I'm not sure they are required. The other panel and the shifter bezel snap right back in.

If you have the right tools and are a little bit handy, you should be able to handle the repair and save yourself a few hundred bucks.

• 1 year later...

warmo and lamd

my 2006 rx 400h cd player has a full load of 6 cds, and something one cd is jammed

i will try lamds suggestion first

warmo has a good solution, but it looks rather involved, and very time consuming, but

since my car is long out of warranty, and i dont want to pay the dealer big bucks, i might

try his suggestion if the simplier technique that lamD suggested doesnt work

other comments were to try and pry out the offending cd with a credit card or old cd, and pounding

on the dash, i dont think that pounding will do anything except put dents in your dashboard

i might try the prying out

z

• 1 year later...

This is going to sound rediculious but it worked. My wife was not able to eject a CD on her 2004 ES330. The discs were full and she could not open CD door to try to jiggle anything in there. After reading severl posts, we tried everything and nothing worked. We could hear the mechanism trying to work, humming like it was close, but just stuck. We hit eject and she banged on the dash a few times. The CD came right out. By the way it was an aftermarket CD that she recorded herself. We kept that out and left the commercially purchased CDs in the player.

Another method that seemed to fix (for the last 2 years, anyway) this issue was to turn the ignition key from the accesory position to the on position (multiple times if necessary) while pressing the eject button.

• 3 months later...

I've owned my 2008 sc 430 for 8 months, and just had the first "error3" message. Unfortunately it's a public library cd stuck in the unit, so I couldn't just leave it in there. I read the different solutions on these posts, and tried inserting another cd about one inch into the lower disc opening, while pushing the eject bottom. The jammed cd came out, and I just want to give a huge THANK YOU!!! That cd has been stuck for two weeks while I played with all the buttons! Now I don't have to choose between buying the book on tape from the library, or taking my car in to the dealer.

I just joined your Lexus owners club, and this will now be my first "go to" resource if I have any additional problems.

• 3 years later...

I just bought my 2006 rx 330 and the owner manual said about dvd but not cds. It has a cd slot to put one in but I can’t get a cd to go in. It’s said error 4 and then that the disc is full. What is the problem ? I just purchased it yesterday. Should I take it back to where I bought it? It wasn’t a Lexus dealer. But I don’t feel like I should have to pay for this since I just bought it. My Lexus 300 had a great working CD player.