Tps Sensor Going Bad

Recently found out when the Toyota dealer was replacing my starter that the TPS sensor is going bad or already is bad. But, they didn't tell which one. According to my parts manual there are two TPS sensors (atleast on the models with TRAC control. Does one fail more often than the other. The parts book states one is the TPS and the other is TPS (for EFI). Thanks in advance.

I THINK one is a traction control module TCM, and the other is throttle position sensor. Not sure if the TCM part is right or not. There's a thread on here somewhere regarding how to check the check engine codes yourself, check it out, and I bet you can figure it out. That's all I have to offer.

Found out its the main TPS sensor which is to the left of the other TPS sensor on the throttle body. Thanks

Are you certain that it's the TPS. I have same code and mine first coded out as the Ox sensor ( I think code 23 or 24). I then tried cleaning the MAF, thinking that it couldn't hurt but after re-assembly my car now has flat spots where the car just studders. Now it's the code 31 which is VAC or MAF. TRAC light and Check Engine stay on. I am getting a rebuilt MAF from Murrays Auto but I'ts very possible that the car also got other issues.

UPDATE: I replaced the MAF with one from Murray's and got rid of the studder. Still coding though. I think you may be on to something with the TPS for the TRAC. When I take off the TRAC my car seems to run stronger.

I was trying to put in the TPS sensor, by doing it the easiest way but probably the wrong way. I put matchmarks on the old one and the throttle body, and then on the new one. I don't think its adjusted correctly. Idle seems too high. Can anyone give me any advice on how to adjust this. Do a need a multi-meter. Also, would it cause any damage to anything if its not correctly adjusted if I need to drive it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Found out its the main TPS sensor which is to the left of the other TPS sensor on the throttle body. Thanks

Are you certain that it's the TPS. I have same code and mine first coded out as the Ox sensor ( I think code 23 or 24). I then tried cleaning the MAF, thinking that it couldn't hurt but after re-assembly my car now has flat spots where the car just studders. Now it's the code 31 which is VAC or MAF. TRAC light and Check Engine stay on. I am getting a rebuilt MAF from Murrays Auto but I'ts very possible that the car also got other issues.

UPDATE: I replaced the MAF with one from Murray's and got rid of the studder. Still coding though. I think you may be on to something with the TPS for the TRAC. When I take off the TRAC my car seems to run stronger.

have the trac lihgt on along wiht the check engine, it dissapear a couple days ago for a day but came back, any suggestions what the problem could be?

• 4 months later...
Same problem here...changed the TPS and trac light is still on. Car loses power when switching gear. Could it be that my idle is not adjusted right?

same problems here

no solution yet.

replaced maf

no result.

replaced knock sensors

no result

tps tested fine.

set those to spec.

no result

next theory is trans sensors.