92 Es300 Bobbin on right hand fuel rail ?

Hello,

This is my first post. Been lurking and reading for a couple weeks, learned a lot of good stuff, but haven't come across the answer to this anywhere. What is the thingamajig on the end of the right hand fuel rail?

I've also looked in Haynes and Chilton and FSM and no luck. It's shown in many pics and drawings but never identified, at least not that I could find.

It seems like it might be some kind of pressure regulator, but why a second pressure regulator at this point.

I've removed it and it has quite a bit of rust/gunk in it. I have a second one I had previously picked up from a salvage yard (just in case), but not being quite sure how it came off, (it was on really, really tight), I at one point popped off the plastic cap and stupidly attempted to remove the screw I discovered there. Concluded the screw was not the way to remove it, but by then I had no idea just how much I had turned this screw. Now, I'd like to replace my rusted gunked up one with this one but not having any idea what this is and consequently what it does I'm concerned about having disturbed the position of the screw.

Would sure appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this matter for me.

Lumpy

Lumpy, a picture is worth a thousand words.

snap one and post it up to better help us.

steviej

I would if I could but my camera is on the fritz. Actually, the battery is dead and the charger seems to be lost.

This thing that I'm talking about connects directly onto the drivers side end of the fuel rail closest to the firewall.

Lumpy

I am eternally grateful and would gladly finance a brew.

With a name I was even able to finally find it in the Shop Manual.

Now all I gotta figure out is what to do about the setting for the little screw under the plastic cap that I inadvertently messed up. Unfortunately the Shop Manual is not much help, all it says about it is, "The pulsation damper absorbs the slight fluctuations in fuel pressure caused by fuel injector from the injector, (whatever that actually means). Perhaps the position of the screw is not that critcal because on the gunked up one I removed, when I popped off the plastic cap the screw was sitting loose inside it, and although it was running rough, the car was running before I started taking it apart.

I find it odd though that this component would have a pop off cover to access this little screw, presumably an adjustment screw, but no mention anywhere as to how or what to do with it (??).

Thanks again,

Lumpy

I am eternally grateful and would gladly finance a brew.

With a name I was even able to finally find it in the Shop Manual.

Now all I gotta figure out is what to do about the setting for the little screw under the plastic cap that I inadvertently messed up. Unfortunately the Shop Manual is not much help, all it says about it is, "The pulsation damper absorbs the slight fluctuations in fuel pressure caused by fuel injector from the injector, (whatever that actually means). Perhaps the position of the screw is not that critcal because on the gunked up one I removed, when I popped off the plastic cap the screw was sitting loose inside it, and although it was running rough, the car was running before I started taking it apart.

I find it odd though that this component would have a pop off cover to access this little screw, presumably an adjustment screw, but no mention anywhere as to how or what to do with it (??).

Thanks again,

Lumpy

Put the screw back in and count the turns it takes to tighten it, Then back it out 1/2 way. Default starting point.

That's another beer :cheers:

Again, I am indeed in liquid debt to you.

By co-incidence I had pretty well settled on putting the screw at a mid point and hoping for the best. Now I shall do so with more confidence.

What I'm thinking then is that once I get it running I'll set up to a fuel pressure contrivance and if the pressure fluctuates then I'll fiddle with that screw to see if I can get it to steady out.

This morning I came upon a 1MZ engine in a self service salvage yard. It has the same damper as my 3VZ so I removed it and took the cap off to check the number on it. On this one the screw was completly absent. Seeing as how this is the second one I've seen where the screw backed itself out, I'm thinking I'll use a wee touch of mild thread lock.

Perhaps some of you 3VZ and 1MZ owners might try popping that plastic cap off of yours, (no tools involved you can just pop it off with your hand), to see whether the screw is sitting loose in the cap. I suppose it must be no great catastrophe if that screw is loose but it probably wouldn't hurt to put it back. I'm guessing that a steady constant fuel pressure should provide more constant results data for the computer to munch on and therefore perhaps a touch better fuel efficiency/economy. Mind you I don't know this, it's just my own best guess as to the raison d'etre for a "Fuel Pulsation Damper"

Thanks again,

Lumpy

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! I clicked on this thread by accident and ended up fixing a problem that I have struggled to diagnose for over a year.

I have a well maintained engine and ignition system, but I have always had a couple flat spots in my powerband.

Well this thread got me thinking about fuel pressure and how it could certainly cause some flat spots. So, I checked my "damper" and what do you know..... the screw was rolling around in the little plastic cap.

I put it back in and immediately test drove my car. NO MORE FLAT SPOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that something so simple and seemingly insignificant could cause such frustrating problems.

I've always told people that many problems are simpler than they seem and that is precisely why Mechanics never fix them or find them.

Thanks dcfish and Lumpy

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! I clicked on this thread by accident and ended up fixing a problem that I have struggled to diagnose for over a year.

I have a well maintained engine and ignition system, but I have always had a couple flat spots in my powerband.

Well this thread got me thinking about fuel pressure and how it could certainly cause some flat spots. So, I checked my "damper" and what do you know..... the screw was rolling around in the little plastic cap.

I put it back in and immediately test drove my car. NO MORE FLAT SPOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that something so simple and seemingly insignificant could cause such frustrating problems.

I've always told people that many problems are simpler than they seem and that is precisely why Mechanics never fix them or find them.

Thanks dcfish and Lumpy

Tn, You owe both of us a beer :cheers: