First Scratch Today

:cries: Well my new car lasted about 3 1/2 weeks before getting its first scratch. I returned from shopping today and found a 4 inch scratch on the right rear quarter panel. Funny that I even got the scratch considering I parked well away from the other cars in the lot. Assessing the damage, I figured I could polish out most of the scratch, but there was about a half inch that was so deep that I thoght I would have to use touch-up paint - it looked like it went right into the primer.

I my garage I had a tube of a product called G27 Scratch Remover. I bought it several years ago after seeing an infomercial, but didn't have a reason to use it. To my amazement, after applying the product as directed, the lighter portion of the scratch disappeared completely and the deep portion disappeared so well that you have to look long and hard to even see it. And there are no swirl marks where the product was applied, like I would see with using a polishing compound. Needless to say, I am quite pleased and relieved.

So I was going to post on this forum extolling the virtues of this fine product, but before doing so I happened to check out epinions.com to see what others thought about GS27. Much to my surprise, virtually everyone said that GS27 is a piece of crap and a complete waste of money! I am very much astounded that my results were so much different than everyone else who tried the product. Has anyone else here tried GS27? What were the results? I wonder if the product worked so well because of the notoriously soft paint that Lexus uses on their vehicles?

Comments anyone?

Wait until it rains. GS27 is a filler product and it will wash out of the scratch after a rain or two causing it to re-appear. I've used GS-27, it doesn't work.

It really all depends on how deep the scratch is. It could have simply been mainly paint transfer which would have wiped off with any chemical. Meguiars makes a scratch removal product called "Scratch X" that works well for a hand compound.

Wait until it rains. GS27 is a filler product and it will wash out of the scratch after a rain or two causing it to re-appear. I've used GS-27, it doesn't work.

It really all depends on how deep the scratch is. It could have simply been mainly paint transfer which would have wiped off with any chemical. Meguiars makes a scratch removal product called "Scratch X" that works well for a hand compound.

For my sake, I hope you're wrong. I'll report back after a few rainstorms and let you know. Thanks for the tip on Scratch X. I may have to give it a try.

Ironically, when I was shopping today I walked past a display for a scratch removal product by Nu Finish. I remember thinking "Boy, I'm glad I don't need to use that yet." When I walked back to my car minutes later, that's when I spotted the scratch! Just my luck...

I'm not, trust me.

The good news is the scratch can absolutely be made to be less noticable with the proper product and technique. If the GS27 works, then it was paint transfer and never really a scratch in the first place.

Knowing what I know about paint defect correction from my years in the detailing business and having used the product myself, what they claim it does is not physically possible. In order to hide a scratch for good you need to abrade the edges of it so the light is not bent in such a sharp manner, theres no way simply rubbing a product on can do that.

I'm not, trust me.

The good news is the scratch can absolutely be made to be less noticable with the proper product and technique. If the GS27 works, then it was paint transfer and never really a scratch in the first place.

Knowing what I know about paint defect correction from my years in the detailing business and having used the product myself, what they claim it does is not physically possible. In order to hide a scratch for good you need to abrade the edges of it so the light is not bent in such a sharp manner, theres no way simply rubbing a product on can do that.

Don't you just love those info-mercials though???

Some guy smacking scratches into his hood with the edge of a quater.

And then, just a dab on a rag and PRESTO!!!... it's all better. LOL

Another good one was Auri car wax.

They'd put wax on the hood and then hit it with spray paint and lighter fluid and then burst the hood into flames.

One quick swipe with Auri and it's all better.

I tried the stuff once.

Easy to apply but it was a dust magnet.

15 minutes after application, the car needed washing.

:lol: