Heeelp: Did The Dvd-bypass Modification And Now Car Wont Start

Hope someone out there is listening...

I did the DVD-bypass modification after researching the topic in great detail (see my previous posts). I have a 2007 GS450h.

After doing being very careful that all was done correctly, I briefly got the error "Check VGRS" on the center (steering wheel) display and the car wont start. Was going to pop the trunk and disconnect the battery, but the trunk latch is unresponsive.

I looked up VGRS and it appears to have to with Variable Gear Ratio Steering which can't imagine has to do with anything I did.

The only minor questions that arose when I did the wire cutting were:

On the left plug (nearest driver) there were two yellow wires. Based on the photographs and descriptions I'd read elsewhere, I chose the yellow wire on the end near the red wire.

On the center plug, I found the white-with-silver dots wire. I am assuming/hoping this was the correct one. I also saw a white with blue line and sliver dots, and a grey with silver dots.

Anyway...feeling mildly nauseated. Car is dead in the water... Guess I can try to back things out.

Reverse everything you did. Solder any cut wires.

Latest update:

12V battery died during procedure. Had car jumped and car starts now.

Current issues:

[1] Drivers door no longer can open/close other windows

[2] DVD hack doesn't seem to have taken hold...

For those that were successful, any ideas? I am confident I did everything correctly -- assuming my wire cutting/splicing instructions were correct to begin with.

Latest update:

Current issues:

Wow!!

I recently installed the ipod adapter from vais technology and was temped to do the dvd override....but with my luck, i would screw something up. I feel for you! also, your warranty might be in danger if anything was burnt out.

keep up updated on your progess.

Thank you all for your concern, support, and help! My GSh is now 110% functional now (the extra 10% is for the added DVD bypass functionality). :D

Here's what followed my initial panicked moments. :angry:

After performing the procedure somehow the 12V battery got totally discharged, hence the car wouldn't start (horn and lights wouldn't work, etc). It remains a mystery why it happened. :unsure:

I had a friend (with a Prius) do a hybrid-to-hybrid smooch (electrical jump) and voila!, the car started. :wub:

This is when I found that the driver's window console no longer functioned and that the DVD-bypass hack seemingly didn't work (phone, mp3 info, and DVD screens all were blanked out while in motion as before). :censored:

I then decided to try "rebooting" my car by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about five minutes. Following this, Presto! all the previously-blanked-out screens are now available. :cheers:

The window switches still didn't work, but thanks to GS4Fun's post, I reset the windows and all is back to as it was.

Thanks a ton, all. I know I didn't need to mess with my perfectly good $60K car, but it's fun (despite a few harrowing moments).

:)

• 1 month later...
I then decided to try "rebooting" my car by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about five minutes. Following this, Presto! all the previously-blanked-out screens are now available. :cheers:

The window switches still didn't work, but thanks to GS4Fun's post, I reset the windows and all is back to as it was.

Was GS4Fun's post actually a private message? I don't see it here in the thread. I'm having problems with a dvd-bypassed 06 GS 300 (video, but no sound. no cds make sound either) so I checked out this thread.

How did you reset the windows? What other features of the car can be reset? Was it just disconnecting the battery? Now you have me thinking maybe I can reset my audio somehow. I'll try disconnecting the battery, as that I did not attempt... but please tell more..

regards

Was GS4Fun's post actually a private message? I don't see it here in the thread. I'm having problems with a dvd-bypassed 06 GS 300 (video, but no sound. no cds make sound either) so I checked out this thread.

How did you reset the windows? What other features of the car can be reset? Was it just disconnecting the battery? Now you have me thinking maybe I can reset my audio somehow. I'll try disconnecting the battery, as that I did not attempt... but please tell more..

regards

Don't know where I found that post, but here's what you do:

Go to each windows and roll the window up and down 3 times. Then go back to the driver's control panel and see if you can control the windows then. I had to repeat it on a couple of windows that I must have lost count on how many ups and downs I did...

Pretty easy. That's the only "reset" maneuver I know.

Thank you all for your concern, support, and help! My GSh is now 110% functional now (the extra 10% is for the added DVD bypass functionality). :D

Here's what followed my initial panicked moments. :angry:

After performing the procedure somehow the 12V battery got totally discharged, hence the car wouldn't start (horn and lights wouldn't work, etc). It remains a mystery why it happened. :unsure:

I had a friend (with a Prius) do a hybrid-to-hybrid smooch (electrical jump) and voila!, the car started. :wub:

This is when I found that the driver's window console no longer functioned and that the DVD-bypass hack seemingly didn't work (phone, mp3 info, and DVD screens all were blanked out while in motion as before). :censored:

Thanks a ton, all. I know I didn't need to mess with my perfectly good $60K car, but it's fun (despite a few harrowing moments).

Great use of similes hahah...Good that everything turned out okay. I would try it, but I don't even want to watch the videos on my GS.

• 3 months later...
Latest update:

Current issues:

Wow!!

I recently installed the ipod adapter from vais technology and was temped to do the dvd override....but with my luck, i would screw something up. I feel for you! also, your warranty might be in danger if anything was burnt out.

keep up updated on your progess.

Hi I have a 2007 GS450h and a vais ipod adapter, can you let me know how you removed the head unit from the dash in order to plug in the vais? What exactly did you have to do and what tools (if any) did you use. I have the vais for a week now but am loath to try opening the dash of of $60k+ car

thanks

Any time the system looses power, you must naturalize the windows and sun roof. This is done by outting the windows all the way up and all the way down one time, at the switch at wach window. It lets the modules know where the open and close positions are. For the sun-roof, hold the close button in. The glass will tilt up, then go all the way back, and will close... all of this by holding the close button the whole time. Then the auto-window features will work, and you can use the master switch to operate them again.