Belts

scrappyslexus

On a side note, I was quoted $1,100 for a timing belt and water pump replacement by my Lexus dealer. That floored me. Used to have a 4Runner that cost about $300 for the timing belt. Is $1,100 what I can expect to pay or am I getting taken?

On a side note, I was quoted $1,100 for a timing belt and water pump replacement by my Lexus dealer. That floored me. Used to have a 4Runner that cost about $300 for the timing belt. Is $1,100 what I can expect to pay or am I getting taken?

My dealer wants $1300. :-) But they also wanted $2400 for the 60K service (they do a bunch of unnecessary stuff like a t-belt inspection [read: full front engine tear down for something you know will last at least 90K mi and has lasted others 200K mi], valve gap adjustment (not even needed at 100K mi), spark plug change (iridium plugs last 120K mi)). I had the Toyota dealer do the bearing repack ($250), lexus dealer do the ATF change ($250), then did the rest myself ($100 for all synthetic fluids + $40 for 2 gal toyota coolant), so I saved about $1800.

Yeah, back to the belts. The only other belt you need to change is the serpentine belt. Should last 60K mi depending on where you live. Here in AZ, the original belt only lasted 48K mi. I'll change it again at 90K mi. You might as well change the serp belt since you have to remove it to get to the t-belt! It's not like there's any extra labor cost. If you want to save a few bucks, buy the serp belt from the Toyota dealer. Should be the same part as for the 4.7L Tundra/Sequoia and v8 4runner.

I live in the desert so, the belts tend to get cracked and or worn. I would do a visual on the belt and check for cracking and or wear, if so get it replaced also some lexus dealers extend out to 100 for the timing belt to break up the servicing so people are not hit so hard. Also if you want your belts seals and rubber to last longer use silicone spray. Also do not use wd-40 on anything because it will disinigrate any rubber over time (if you dont belive me take a baloon and spray it with wd-40 and it will pop within minutes). Good luck! :rolleyes: